I'm A Noob, Help?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by zzisez, Aug 4, 2021.

1. zzisez

zzisez New Member

Always wanted to try this sim but was involved in so many others that I never got around to it. Now I just got it offered to me for free from Epic Games. I installed it and started the training sessions in the game for the GPS locomotive. Got to the refueling one, the third in the list, and after that was finished I ended up on a long distance run without knowing what the hell I am doing. I noticed it skipped a whole lot of stuff. Also, there seems to be no instruction for the different things I will need to learn in order to play this game right. Is it all supposed to be a mystery?

So, where can I get a complete instruction manual on how to operate this game? The one I found only tells you how to set up each engine, and not completely at that I see. No mention of how to work items around the train or yard. Like being able to set up certain switches for proper operation, and to be able to set the track switches without having to run miles to do that. Boring.

Please help, I am a nOObis agitatus. Thanks for your time and help.

2. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. It’s a bit hit and miss.
    There are some tutorials here.

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/tsw-help

if you look on their YouTube channel there are some really good too.they play the routes loads so you can learn.

Potentially the German or bakerloo route is easiest for a new player, American route is good but you’ll need to play the tutorials as setting the air brakes up is tricky. Once you know what you’re doing it takes seconds though.

Once you’ve learned the basics you can start turning on the safety systems and then you’ve got some work on your hands. A lot of the common tricky bits you’ll find using the search here as I guarantee us experienced players have had the same questions.

If you’re new to the game and think it’s a winner it’s on steam too and you may (I’m speculating here) see more content gon on sale.

enjoy the sim :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  3. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Welcome zzisez, you will find that this sim will be very rewarding, it definitely has a learning curve. But as you get into it more you start to learn how to use the loco's. You can then move on to running with the safety systems on and then that will bring you a whole new challenge.

You can also go to https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvdG4CxeXdKlw-p99eyn4WQ and here you can find videos that can be helpful in your journey's.

Keep us update, and do not be afraid to ask questions that is what we are her for.

5. bluetiger#2496

bluetiger#2496 Member

Specifically to your question about switches, you can use any of the external cameras, accessed from the numbers 2,3,and 8 to change switches. The 8 camera is by far the best though. Press the 8 Key, then use the number keys to direct it, and the shift key to move faster. Much easier than running. Also, you can change the switches from the map view, which you can access with the 9 key.

6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The German route is probably the easiest, without safety systems on; but once you turn them on, it (like all German routes under PZB) becomes very challenging.

Sand Patch appears easy at first, but, I agree, the tutorial doesn't tell you a lot of what you need to know to run heavy US freight up and down mountains.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

I don't know if this is the case with the SPG tutorial, but in many tutorials the main problem is not that the tutorial does not tell you everything, but that the tutorial teaches you to do things wrong. IIRC the tutorial for Oaksville teaches you to use the banking com when you just have two locos coupled to each other, as an example, but there are many more.

8. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

So I’m wondering if this has been seen yet?