Red Brake Cylinder

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by train sim brian, Aug 5, 2021.

1. train sim brian

train sim brian New Member

Hi,
    I can only to over 60 psi, it won’t go any higher what I’m doing wrong.

thanks

Brian

2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Can you be more specific? What train/locomotive? What route?

3. train sim brian

Using SD40-2, 8830 Locomotive on the sand patch summit level 10.

braking system is on BC 0, MR 133, ER 89 and BP 0.
    on epic games base game doing fully fuelled task

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  4. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

So your brake cylinder pressure is 60psi and it won’t go any higher? It’s a bit of an odd question because it’s normally the other way around- brake cylinder pressure is stuck at 60psi and unable to release brakes.

This is not a fault. 64psi is the maximum brake cylinder pressure you can get if brake pipe is charged at 90psi (as on freight trains). Once your brake pipe has reduced to 64psi, you’ll notice brake cylinder pressure won’t increase anymore than 64psi even though brake pipe pressure is still decreasing. This is because at 64psi, this is the equilibrium between auxiliary reservoir and brake cylinder. The ratio between the two chambers is 1:2.5 so when brake pipe is 64psi, this is a drop by 26psi (90-64). As the ratio is 1:2.5, 2.5*26= 65psi* is the maximum pressure in the brake cylinder (I.e. a full service brake application). It’s hard to explain without diagrams or animations so I’d recommend trying to find a video on YouTube on this.

*I’ve rounded but the true value is between 64-65psi

To be honest, you shouldn’t have to use anywhere near 60psi of brake cylinder pressure so I’m not sure why you want more. If you really want brake cylinder to be higher (in other words, you want a higher full service brake application), switch the brakes to passenger mode. The brake pipe will be charged to 110psi and consequently your full service brake application is now 79psi instead of 65psi.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. train sim brian