Avanti Coming To Tsw2?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Mkdog45, Aug 1, 2021.

1. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

We thought that about the Bakerloo on the DC lines...

• Like Like x 1
  2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

That is different, being that London Underground is the main operator, other TOCs would only serve as AI.
    An ECML route without its primary train operator, LNER, would be illogical. We have LNER in TS Classic so there's still hope.

• Like Like x 3
  3. ARuscoe

LNER operate the intercity trains which isn't the same thing
    Thameslink and Great Northern alone operate three times as many trains a day as LNER on the southern portion of the route.

• Like Like x 1
  4. AirbourneAlex

Exactly, so are a primary operator on the route. Unless you want the fast lines empty of course.

• Like Like x 3
  5. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Yeah but if you asked someone "name one of the ECML's operators" would default to LNER. I would (unless I'm trying to be smart.)

• Like Like x 2
  6. ARuscoe

Personally I hate green light specials. Setting the cruise control and then watching youtube for two hours (listening for anything other than "ding!") is hardly my idea of an achievement.

7. ARuscoe

Unless they lived near the route, or used the route for anything other than intercity, or had interest in trains which don't go 125...
    Yeah in general people might agree with you, but then most people out in non-train-land wouldn't know that a HST, a class 43 and a class 253 are the same thing. For some reason I kind of think that people interested in trains would have a more nuanced perspective on things (obviously wrong)

• Like Like x 1
  8. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

DTG probably won’t comment on this as it probably is a genuine list from the game so can’t be denied but shows details of TOCs that will be featured soon so can’t confirm it either. It’s not long before DLC planned for after RH appears on the roadmap and that’s when we will see if it matches some of what’s on the list.

• Like Like x 4
  9. trainsimplayer

Well, send me to jail for speaking why don't you.

Most people (Railfans or not) would say LNER first and foremost.

Great Northern and such would be the Londoner's choice mostly, Grand Central and Hull Trains are easier to forget about, East Coast Trains isn't even in service yet, Northern, well you'd probably think about the other lines they run on, and ScotRail it's about 6 stops. (Unless we count Edinburgh - Aberdeen as part of the ECML, which it isn't).

So, as you can see, I do happen to recognise there are others, but LNER would be the default for me, and I know many others.

• Like Like x 2
  10. ARuscoe

Fair enough...
    I'll continue thinking of "principal" as most operated rather than one people think about most...

11. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Just do it all with British Rail, sorted. I haven’t been keeping up with what TOCs are on what line anywhere where I haven’t used the trains myself. I’m not a trainspotter, commuter or train trivia fan, and they do change a lot. Every time I get a train anywhere, the operator has changed from the one I was expecting. I know a bit more since getting back into trains through sims but I still couldn’t name most current operators, as I have no interest in the TOCs, just the trains. Back when I was a casual trainspotter in the 1980s, it was all BR. You knew where you were then.

• Like Like x 4
  12. trainsimplayer

LNER is still the principle operator either way. They run the East Coast Mainline from London to Edinburgh. That's the principal operator right there.

• Like Like x 1
  13. ARuscoe

Except Great Western... that name hasn't changed much since I was a kid (80s), but I know what you mean.

• Like Like x 1
  14. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'd have to say that the "principal" operator is whoever runs the core services throughout the whole mainline- LNER for the ECML, GWR for Great Western (literally in the name), Avanti for the WCML, etc. That's m interpretation anyway. Thameslink only run on around a quarter of the ECML, if that.

I get where you're coming from, but I've never had trouble keeping up, the ECML is generally an exception as the franchise has changed hands multiple times in this decade alone for reasons someone smarter than me can explain. Compare that to the WCML who had Virgin for two decades, or Cross Country who have been around since 2007. Perhaps I find it easier because the railways had already been privatised by the time I was born, so it's all I've known. I'm glad of it honestly- I find BR stuff incredibly bland and characterless by comparison, although I know you'll disagree.

• Like Like x 4
  15. trainsimplayer

Good point, the principal operated does usually run their entire line.

I'm probably in same camp when it comes to keeping up, I've never known BR outside of TS/TSW. So it's slightly easier for me to keep up with it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ARuscoe

Doesn't work for all lines. Otherwise the principal operator of the SWML would be GWR, the NWML would be Avanti West Coast and the North London Line would probably be Freightliner or DB Cargo
    Maybe the principal operator should be the company who service the most stations along a line rather than those who run the furthest, or those who operate the most stations

17. trainsimplayer

How on earth could the SWML be GWR when they don't even operate on it, outwith connecting at Southampton, Basingstoke & Weymouth. Really? I don't think so.

• Like Like x 2
  18. ARuscoe

South Wales Mainline rather than South West

19. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the South Wales Main Line be TfW?

• Like Like x 2
  20. ARuscoe

That's kind of my point... GWR run the intercity services so according to the above would be the "principal operator"
    That they don't stop at many of the stations, operate any of the stations, carry as many passengers, run as many trains etc doesn't seem to matter

21. trainsimplayer

Ah, right, my bad.

Well, I would say that's TfW, because different lines are set up differently it's often different logics from situation to situation - might sound like a backtrack but it isn't - in the case of the ECML LNER is principal for one reason, here it's TfW for another.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I think we can safely say that there is no blanket way of clarifying the 'main operator' that works for all possible scenarios.

• Like Like x 1
  23. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Interesting and all of them are in train simulator 21. Avanti West Coast is WCML South Birmingham to London Euston

24. trainsimplayer

1) Avanti run more than the WCML South, more like WCML Full
    2) not all of them are in TS. If Thameslink (GTR), Great Northern (GTR) and MerseyRail are all suddenly in TS I've certainly missed something.

• Like Like x 1
  25. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

Adding on that, VIA Rail Canada and Aiken aren’t in any game either.

• Like Like x 2
  26. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

If you look at train simulator 21 forums the sister game it's 103 miles 40 miles longer than Clinchfield 63 miles. 193 miles if Merged with WCML over Shap with WCML North Glasgow Carlisle

27. ARuscoe

Hence saying "if you look at google"... I mean I could have looked up the exact route miles but thought google would be "accurate enough" when you're talking a few dozen miles out

• Like Like x 1
  28. DK12345

DK12345 Active Member

I hate to be a pedant (no I don't) but...

Only the power cars are Class 43s, and there are two of them plus a number of coaches in an HST. Only Western Region 2+7 sets were Class 253s, and there were never Class 43s in a Class 253 (because HST power cars were not locomotives while the HSTs were classed as MUs).

For some reason I kind of think that people interested in trains would have a more nuanced perspective on things (obviously wrong). :)

29. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

**Me- goes trainspottimg somewhere along the ecml. Thinks to himself what trains he will see. The first thing he thinks of is LNER**

• Like Like x 1
  30. ARuscoe

Good for you. I would prefer a decent freight train or something unusual

Indeed. But you've proven my point. You knew that, I knew that, and so do a lot of others. Many people know LNER run the full route but they don't run the most trains, carry the most passengers etc etc. The only reason they do the most route miles is because they don't stop at more than 10% of the stations on the line

• Like Like x 1
  31. AirbourneAlex

I don't see where you're going with this. My original point was that LNER was not on the list suggesting it could still be added, especially because both Great Northern and Grand Central are already on there, routes which LNER share operations with.

32. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Except that, to this very day, HSTs (under any designation) are still classed as MUs for speed limit purposes.

• Like Like x 1
  33. class390pendolino

class390pendolino New Member

I would prefer routes to London Euston but either way I would LOVE a class 390 pendolino

34. class390pendolino

class390pendolino New Member

35. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Hi. I see that you are new here. Just to let you know it is generally frowned upon to bump a thread (Posting on a thread that has been inactive for over 2-ish weeks and the message serves no real purpose to the topic of the thread)

• Like Like x 2
  36. phillipa#1949

phillipa#1949 Active Member

COOL IF IT IS

37. phillipa#1949

Are you trying to say it would be heavily bugged & crash like the TS version of the game with horriable LAG

38. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

Pretty much, well maybe not as bad because the TSW team overall produce better content than the TS team but yeah

39. phillipa#1949

Probably TS version use a different Graphic Engine as well but they will have to aim at the next consoles over the current gen if they want to make things run smoothly