Train Sim World Loading Screens Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TrainSim-Luke, Jun 29, 2018.

1. TrainSim-Luke

TrainSim-Luke Well-Known Member

Hi everyone!
    We'd like to hear your thoughts on Train Sim World's loading screens. Do you like the loco information screens? Do you feel there's not enough time to read them? Do you like the route diagram ones?
    Whatever your thoughts are on the loading screens, we want to hear it! Let us know here!

• Like Like x 6
  2. Chrizzly14

Chrizzly14 Member

Yeah I like them very much.Its more interesting then an advertisement for an route.I would like the screens which we have at the moment but with my idea of the screenshot competition

3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I do like them. The timing is a little short to read everything though.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Thomas Waagenaar

Thomas Waagenaar Active Member

I think I'd rather have them be "A little too short" than double the loading times ;)
    Or perhaps *if* this would be lengthened, a button which starts flashing "Click to enter session" or something. So you can *choose* to keep reading it or just dive right in. Since after a few times one basically has read everything on it atleast five times

Or how about a little minigame? Like chrome's Dino game. :D

• Like Like x 5
  5. StevenJam

StevenJam Member

I like the route diagram and locomotiv information, the only issue I have with it is that sometimes the game will load fairly quickly ( not normally a problem ) and while reading information about the route the game will load it. I do like Thomas' idea of having
    This would be a great way to fix this issue, I am not sure if this is even possible or not though.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Better yet, each loading screen stay on longer, so you can read it. I didn’t say to make the loading time longer.

• Like Like x 2
  7. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Once the game has actually loaded, perhaps have an option - (press KEY to continue) and then just have the loading screens loop until a button is pressed?

• Like Like x 3
  8. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

Loading screens have been an interesting topic, and I have plenty of thoughts on it (probably things Matt has already heard from me but eh)
    • There used to be a lot more loading screens, and I'd like to see some of those brought back.
      • Apparently many were removed due to a bug that was fixed, but despite being fixed, they have not returned.
      • The important ones we should see a return from are the GP38-2 details, The CSX Sand Patch Map, CSX "Introducing Cumberland Yard," and CSX Coal Hauling.
      • Those more random less important ones that may or may not be due a return include the CSX "Join the Conversation" screen, CSX "Introducing Services Mode" screen, and the GWE "Introducing Services Mode" screen.
    • One of the other big things I wanted to see from the loading screens are loading screens that depend on what route is being loaded.
      • At the very simplest, if I were loading GWE, I'd expect to only see the GWE map, 66, 166, 43, and GWE services screen, nothing else. Currently, loading GWE, I'm just as likely to see the AC4400CW's screen as the 66's, which doesn't make much sense.
        • Maybe this is why the old loading screens have not returned-there would simply be too many ones for CSX making it too likely to see a CSX shot when not loading CSX.
      • If you wanted to get more complex, maybe it could be set up to only show the details screen of the locomotive that you are about to drive, and only show the "Introducing Services Mode" if services mode is whats being loaded, etc. So if I were to go crazy and drive the GWE 66 on CSX in Services Mode, I would only see the CSX Map (possibly including Cumberland Yard and Coal Hauling), DBS Class 66 details, and the CSX "Introducing Services Mode" screens. Though that's only if you want to go crazy with it.
    • There are some bits and bobs of content that are completely missing loading screens and probably deserve some attention.
      • Where is the loading screen for the GP40-2?
      • WSR has no loading screens at all. Well, except for the Class 47, but that's not even in the game! You guys bothered to make the art for WSR loading screens, then didn't use them at all!
      • The NEC's Yn3 GP38-2 does not have a loading screen. Yes, there is supposed to be a GP38-2 loading screen already, but what about the console players who don't have CSX? The NEC GP38-2 really should have its own loading screen.
      • Maybe all the other paint jobs too?
    • The loading screens tend to contain lots of useful information, but the only way to see them is by loading, which makes that information harder to digest.
      • Yeah, a longer delay between changing pictures could help with that, but why not make the loading screens more accessible, like somewhere in the profiles section with a "more info" button to get a look at the loading screens while not loading.
    • Also, my monitor is very large, and is a funky resolution, so the loading screens turn out blurry, and often with cropped off edges. Not sure you can do anything about my monitor ratio, but 4K loading screens plz.
    Such a neglected feature the loading screens are. 1 like = 1 hope (JK)

As for community pictures, it seems totally reasonable to have route based community pictures that cycle around. Though we'd need some decent standards and not just the most upvoted thing. Or else you get this as a loading screen as opposed to this.

• Like Like x 14
  9. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

The only thing I noticed that the loading screen images are pixelated like they are made with very very low res. This was introduced some time ago.
    Don't know if it's because i use a 21:9 screen with 3440x1440 resolution.

• Like Like x 1
  10. MarkL

MarkL Member

The loading screens seem to be located in the folder
    C:\<etc etc>\<Documents Folder>\My Games\TS2Prototype\Saved\LoadingScreens

11. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

How about allowing users to add their own loading screens to make it more personalised.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chrizzly14

Chrizzly14 Member

That is possible. Look the post above yours.

13. TrainSim-Luke

The loadscreens are made in 1920x1080p (low res for a 4k user, but good or better for most people). They're then stretched or shrunk depending on what resolution you're running.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Then let's make them in 4K from now on and they will be good for both 1080p and 4k users?

• Like Like x 3
  15. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Yes please make them 4K.. Every Computer that is able to play TSW will have no problem to display a 4k image.
    Every camera nowadays has 20 Megapixels and more and every computer is able to display those.. 4k is about 9 Megapixel..

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  16. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Any unofficial screens are deleted by TSW :( so there would have to be some sort of code change by DTG. Possibly by checking for the existence of a user_loading_screens folder and loading screens either in addition or instead of the official loading screens.

17. Chrizzly14

Chrizzly14 Member

Oh ok. :o

18. TrainSim-Luke

It's a compromise. The 1080p loadscreens currently take up 1.3 - 1.6 MB of diskspace, each... 4K would be even bigger, quite a lot of diskspace just for loading screens.
    I will pass on the suggestion anyway.

19. Daniel Bloch

This is how die loading screens look on my 21:9 3440x1440 screen.
    Black bars left & right and the letters/pictures look pre-anti aliasing age kind of pixelated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  20. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Daniel Bloch same. And they become cropped instead of fitted in some cases, IIRC when you use Restart in the scenario menu.

21. londonmidland

Considering many of us have smartphones which take pictures at a much higher resolution, and most likely have much less space than on our computers, I’m sure 4K loading screens taking up a few megabytes won’t be a problem.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Sintbert

Compared to a 10GB-Route on a >1TB HDD? Realy does not matter...

23. jdobbin

jdobbin New Member

hi train sim live mr james dobbin tsw sim train is geat work on it I play evevr day and night and mattpeddesden I watch ever day and night can do a Glasgow router on tsw sim world mate look to the next live show mate see you soon your james dobbin

24. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

OTOH those of us who aren't running at such a high resolution will need to spend that extra bit longer downloading updates and use a bit more of our monthly limit downloading stuff we don't really require. If larger resolution loading screens are produced then I think there should be a separate download link on the TSW steam page where they can be downloaded.

25. londonmidland

No one is forcing you to download these updates, but we’re living in 2018 now, so quality of images/videos is always going to improve, and so are monitors and computer/CPU power. 4K is becoming more and more popular, with 1080p being the most popular. In a few years time 4K will probably be the new 1080p.

There should always be the option to choose graphics settings etc so it suits everyone needs. *Though these options should always be available, and not forced to us/only one setting available to choose.

I don’t expect many people to upload videos on YouTube these days anything lower than 1080p, for example.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Sintbert

And one minute of Youtube uses more of that data than any 4k image will ever need.. Also on a 10GB Route download those images make about 0.1%, so why bother..

• Like Like x 2
  27. pschlik

If you are going to crusade about download time and size, remember that for every update of a UE4 game, the entire game has to be redownloaded. Change a single byte of a 10 GB .pak file, and that entire 10 GB will have to be downloaded yet again. Of course, steam doesn’t tell you that, but there are far more important factors to an update than the size of a few pictures.

It’s like making a mountain out of a molehill, when a mountain is just over there if you’d bother to turn around and look at it.

28. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

That is simply not true. Yes, perhaps you won't see differential updates up to 1 byte, but steam just re-downloads some changed chunks and then re-packs these huge files locally, incorporating downloaded changes into them. It surely takes a lot of time on HDDs, but it doesn't re-download game every time.

Overall I agree, 1.6 vs 6.4 MB pictures difference is just within margin of error given current size of TSW DLCs. And they are bound to only get bigger.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  29. Daniel Bloch

Well you can use a higher compression of a 4K picture, so it will look good on 4k and HD displays but uses not much more then a HD picture.
    My taken screenshots (3440x1440) in TSW with the steam function are all around 900kb to 1,6mb and they are 1440p and look great, so no need for a pixelated upscaled 1080p loading screen.

Here is an example, this screenshot with 3440x1440 only has 1,16mb and looks great:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
  30. NAYDOG

NAYDOG Guest

id like a admin controlled ever updated screenshot montage - Im on SSD so informational loading screens are redundant for myself - and the maps dont really offer anything noteworthy.

31. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

Here are my thoughts. I like the route summary and train information screenshots when loading up, it reminds me of MSTS and I always found those interesting. If anything, I would like to see those the primary loading screen focus area.

I also want to propose an option in the menu to allow for community screenshots in conjunction or instead of the default loading screens where Admin/DTG approved community screenshots are used as the loading screens. It might help inspire other users with thoughts of things to try with the game for instance. Maybe even a way to reward screenshots of the week or whatever the last winner of a TSW screenshot competition is?

• Like Like x 4
  32. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

4k assets for loading screens sure nice touch, however on PC, with access to SSD's is this really a big deal ? I personally see the load screen for a matter of seconds.... and don't go adding a push button to start on loading please. Perhaps this type of information is better put into the map in the game !
    for reference I am on a 3440x1440 monitor so I do agree they could be better but I just don't look at them long enough to care. :P

33. giogurto_grande

giogurto_grande Active Member

Regarding the loading screens, I have noticed that they appear for a brief moment when switching the external camera between ends of a long train (e.g. Sand Patch freight trains). It started to happen after the spring update's "optimization", AFAIR. Another thing is that after getting back to the cab view the wipers no longer move until you change their speed.

You can see it all in the recording below:

34. TrainSim-Luke

Daniel Bloch , looking at it now, you're not running a standard 4K resolution, you're running a 1440p superwide resolution, that would explain the black bars on the sides.
    Standard 4K is 3840x2160 ... sorry guys, long weekend, but I've had my coffee now so catching up :P

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
  35. TrainSim-Luke

@giogurto-grande, it's because of adaptive degradation. To help optimise things, the game renders objects far away at a lower level of detail, both in the model and the texturing, so when you're teleporting from one end of a very long train back to the other, it has to quickly load up those objects at full detail level again. The flash of a loadscreen isn't a bug, it's intentional, otherwise you'd teleport back to a very low detail and possibly un-textured cab and watch everything rebuild to full detail.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. Daniel Bloch

yeah i know, its not real 4k ... the black bars are not the real matter, other games have it too ;) but the resolution of the loading screens would be nice if they get increased.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  37. TrainSim-Luke

This has actually caused quite a debate here in the office. :)

Thank you guys for all these posts. Keep them coming if you have any more views on this.

• Like Like x 1
  38. DictatorDono

DictatorDono Member

I don't think a few extra megabytes of images on disk would make a difference to most people - I suspect 90% of players have a 1TB+ drive, and plenty like me have that amount of storage on an SSD. The 1080p images makes the game look a little unpolished, I'm surprised there's even a debate over such a small increase in the package size.

• Like Like x 3
  39. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Why suspect when you can confirm ;) ... well as close as possible thanks steam hardware survey.
    [​IMG]
    Total Disk Space Above 1 TB: 48.38%
    And 24% of users have between 250 - 499 GB free space.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  40. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

While it's true you can add images to that folder, they don't automatically get added as loading screens, I have added images but don't know how to get them to show as loading screens, so is anyone can tell me then I would be most grateful.

41. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Give them names of the original loading screens. Worked for me.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Mr395008

Mr395008 Member

Info about the routes is my personal preference, in TSW half the time I've got no idea where I am unless I've driven over the route numerous times due to the rubbish map view currently in TSW.

• Like Like x 3
  43. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

Maybe show some screenshots of routes or WIP routes? For example, you could show the Ruhr thing route.

44. pschlik

Well its been a month (crazy) but now we are seeing some loading screen changes.

There's now a WSR map.

A new community channels advertisement.

That coal related one.

And the return of the introducing services mode screens for GWE and CSX.

However, that still hasn't solved the fundamental problem of a lack of loading screens. All this has been a tradeoff because now there are none of the locomotive information loading screens. Will RSN even get any locomotive loading screens? Will the RSN screens have to replace something else?

45. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

will Tsw PC version run on a 2.9 gig machine with all graphics set to low or off?

46. londonmidland

You’ll need to provide a lot more details than that and you cannot turn graphics off in a game. If it is a very low end PC with integrated graphics then the answer is simply no.

47. Chrizzly14

Chrizzly14 Member

More easier way : Go to Steam and look for the system requirements. Cause without your ram GPU CPU we cannot give you an yes or no. So take a look there.

48. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

Ok thank you will settle for console

49. racer050b

racer050b New Member

+1 for high-res loading screens.
    Even on my WQHD monitor (2560x1440) they look bad.

50. R62A1973

R62A1973 Active Member

It's a hp notebook