Best Graphics Settings

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by paulossj4, Aug 5, 2021.

1. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

Hi all,

I would like to know if there is any configuration in the graphics for the TS2021 to run well in 1920x1080 resolution. I saw on the forums that most have NVIDIA graphics card, but in my case I have the RADEON RX 580 8GB.

My specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x Six Core Processor 3.60Ghz
    16GB RAM DDR4
    HD SSD 500 GB
    Radeon RX 580 8GB DDR5

Thanks.

2. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I use a GTX980Ti which seems to go head to head with your RX580 in most benchmarks I've seen, and I run with almost everything on maximum, and I also run at 2560x1440, and I also run RWEnhancer Pro, and have 8 ReShade shaders running... AND my PC is way older than yours, with my CPU being a 2nd gen i7 using DDR3 (built 2011). With that in mind, at a mere 1080p your PC should just be able to have everything on max (apart from anti-aliasing maybe) I would imagine.

Here are my settings
    20210806075348_1.jpg 20210806075400_1.jpg 20210806075419_1.jpg
    The only reason Ambient Occlusion is off is because RW Enhancer Pro takes care of that in a better way. In your case, turn it on set it high.
    Depth of Field is off because it is awful... sometimes can make a nice screenshot, but to actually play the simulator, it's truly diabolical.

Dynamic Clouds are off because I use the Armstrong Powerhouse Sky & Weather Enhancement pack. Without that, this should be on.

Here's how all that runs on mine.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 6
  3. decrepitts#7027

decrepitts#7027 Well-Known Member

Watched the above video. Most impressive! How does Reshader work in conjunction with RW Enhancer Pro, which provides its own shaders?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

I'm curious to see which would be best for my system too - I run at 1920x1080 on a 144hz monitor

I currently have everything maxed out except for AA - I think I use 2 x 2 SSAA. Also, like you, I have my dynamic cloud disabled because I use the AP weather pack.

My system is as follows
    Intel Core i5 9600K @ 3.7Ghz (Running Overclocked at 4.4Ghz)
    Corsair 16GB RAM DDR4 @ 3200Mhz
    Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB M.2 SSD
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD
    Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6

Also, what is a good fps to limit the game to?

5. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

[QUOTE = "Pookeyhead, post: 348279, member: 9535"] Eu uso um GTX980Ti que parece bater de frente com o seu RX580 na maioria dos benchmarks que vi, e corro com quase tudo no máximo, e também corro em 2560x1440, e também executo o RWEnhancer Pro e tenho 8 sombreadores ReShade em execução ... E meu PC é muito mais antigo que o seu, com meu CPU sendo um i7 de 2ª geração usando DDR3 (construído em 2011). Com isso em mente, com apenas 1080p seu PC deve ser capaz de ter tudo no máximo (exceto o anti-aliasing, talvez), eu imagino.

Aqui estão minhas configurações
    [ATTACH = cheio] 62527 [/ ANEXO] [ATTACH = cheio] 62528 [/ ANEXO] [ATTACH = cheio] 62529 [/ ANEXO]
    O único motivo pelo qual o Ambient Occlusion está desativado é porque o RW Enhancer Pro cuida disso de uma maneira melhor. No seu caso, ligue a configuração alta.
    Depth of Field está desativado porque é horrível ... às vezes pode fazer uma bela captura de tela, mas para realmente jogar o simulador, é verdadeiramente diabólico.

As nuvens dinâmicas estão desativadas porque eu uso o pacote Armstrong Powerhouse Sky & Weather Enhancement. Sem isso, deve estar ativado.

Veja como tudo isso roda no meu (pode demorar um pouco para o YouTube processar em 1440p) .... [MEDIA = youtube] Tlj5EvRbz_g [/ MEDIA] [/ QUOTE]

Muito obrigado, vou tentar essas configurações.

Só mais uma dúvida, você mexe nas configurações da placa de vídeo? E como você deixa configurado o RW Enhancer?

6. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

To save anyone else running that through an online translator, they said:

"Thank you very much, I will try these settings.

Just one more question, do you mess with the video card settings? And how do you configure RW Enhancer?"

7. Pookeyhead

They both do different things. For me, RWEnhancer is used to modify glass reflections, specular light sources and occlusion, as it does this much better than the game can, and with less of a frame rate hit. You can also adjust fog levels and fog colour. ReShade is an odd one. You can literally get HUNDREDS of shaders for it. I use 8, but the biggest improvement it makes is colour. It has a selective colour shader than can fine tune how colours appear, so no more fluorescent green leaves and over saturated colours. I also use it for mild HDR tone-mapping and bloom effects. Individually, they are all subtle (as I have them set) but collectively, it really makes a big difference in my opinion.

Both require a great deal of experimentation to get it how you want it though, as it's easy to go too far and end up with something that looks worse than the vanilla game. I can post up my config files if you ever need them.

8. Pookeyhead

You're welcome.

RW Enhancer needs to be experimented with to get the best from it. To save you some time, I've attached my RWEnhancer preset config file to this message, so if you ever use RWEnhancer Pro, you can import my settings.

I have done nothing to the video card settings except limit the frame rate to 30fps to prevent screen tearing.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Pookeyhead

If anyone wants to try reshade, I've attached my config file for that too.

When you install ReShade, check the boxes for every single shader option, whether you want them or not. They are each only a few KB in size, and you have them all in case you want them in future. No shaders will run in game unless you specify them to do so. Plus, you'll be certain you are running the same shaders I am (if that's your intention).

You can only use ReShade for either 16 or 64bit versions of TS, not both, so select 64bit. The config file lives in your railworks folder.

link to ReShade... https://reshade.me/

Attached Files:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. Pookeyhead

I'd limit it to 30fps. If you can consistently reach 60fps, then obviously limit it to 60. My average is between 30 and 40, so I limit it to 30. For a sim there's no need for more than that. You DO get screen tearing between 30 and 60fps though, so unless you are LIMITING it to 60fps.. select 30fps. Having said that, what is your default refresh rate for your screen? If your screen is constantly running at 144hz, then you may want to limit the game to a multiple of that to ensure there's no tearing.

11. Pookeyhead

Oh.. a word of warning about ReShade... it works not only in game, but also in menus, so while it can make the game look great, the menus can look well weird. In my case, the bloom settings that work well in game, don't play nice with the high contract menu system. 20210806151242_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Pookeyhead

At 1080? Everything max... don't worry... My PC is a piece of poo compared to yours... literally everything on max except AA, which I'd limit to how I have it set. Try going a little higher though if you want.. see what happens. Remember, in a sim, anything above 30fps is wasted really.

• Like Like x 1
  13. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

Thanks.

I noticed that on newer routes, like Portsmouth Direct Line, it doesn't make any difference, I get stuck at 14 fps. This ReShade file, just put it in the Railworks folder?

14. Pookeyhead

After you have installed ReShade, yes.

You should be getting way more than 14fps on PDL... let me check what I get... I'll be back in a bit.

15. Pookeyhead

On PDL, at Waterloo, I get around 22 to 25fps... once out of London, I'm getting between 28 and 30fps.

16. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

Not in my dreams can I get this FPS in Waterloo... :(

17. Pookeyhead

Is this without ReShade or RWEnhancer? Is this just the base game with no addons at 1080p?

18. paulossj4

paulossj4 Active Member

With both programs running. ECML in Peterborough I can get over 30 fps, and in Waterloo it's no more than 12 fps.

19. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

Yep, default refresh is 144hz. I was thinking of limiting to 35 - 40fps.

Would be any benefit to run the game in DSR? (Dyanmic Super Resolution)? Say running it at 1440p or 4k?

20. Pookeyhead

The only reason you would limit it to anything, is to prevent screen tearing, so you can experiment yourself.

21. Pookeyhead

Some routes are just very asset heavy. Woodhead in BR Blue being another one that is sluggish on older hardware. I've no idea why you get only 12 to 14fps in Waterloo though, as your GPU is a similar performer to mine. Mine is overclocked though... but that would only account for a few fps at best. Maybe TS just favours NVidia hardware and drivers? It's not as if mine is blazingly fast at Waterloo either. I can barely break 20fps, and it seems to be around 22fps most of the time. I don't know which ECML you are referring to, as there are a few versions that include Peterborough, but using ECML London to Peterborough, I average around 38fps.

Remember, neither your GPU or mine, are new. The 980Ti is now 6 years old, and your 580 is getting on for 5 years old. On older routes and with older assets both run fine, but on the newer routes and with newer assets both will show their age with maximum settings and addons. As hardware gets faster, people will develop software that takes advantage of it. When Train Simulator first came out, textures were low res.. models were low polygon count. Trees and vegetation was crude and not very varied. So while TS is essentially the same game it always was, the assets people develop for it are not. Just compare the old Kuju 37 to the AP 37 for example. Look at the assets in a modern route compared to a really old one. All things considered, both our GPUs are doing just fine to be able to play TS with all the eye candy at all.

When the GPU shortage is over, I will be upgrading though.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  22. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

Actually I've just found out that my AA is maxed out as well. Depending on which route I am running I get at least a good average between about 40 to 80 FPS depending on which route I'm running.

• Like Like x 1
  23. leaf1

leaf1 New Member

hi,bro!My ReShade version is 4.9.1. When I installed it, I checked all the options, used your configuration file, and displayed "some effects failed to compile: bilateralCS. fx" after entering the game. Would you also encounter this problem? If I tried to change to another version, I still got this error prompt! My game version is TS2022

24. Pookeyhead

looks like it's trying to load a shader you do not have. If "BilateralCS.fx" was not something you wanted to run, just open up the in game ReShade menu and find it on the list, and switch it off.

25. leaf1

leaf1 New Member

I don't know how to operate. I can only show you a screenshot. How can I operate? 1.png 2.png 3.png

26. leaf1

leaf1 New Member

Did I make a mistake somewhere?

27. Pookeyhead

I can't see anything switched on that should be causing that error, no. Is it just a warning that flashes up in the corner when you first launch the sim? If so, I would be tempted to just ignore it if there's no other issue. However, I would try updating or re-installing ReShade to see if it fixes the issue I suppose, as we are now on version 5.4.2, so yours is quite old.

28. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

How does the OHLE look on your graphics setup?
    My settings are similar but the OHLE is sometimes a bit jagged.

29. leaf1

leaf1 New Member

Yes, every time you start sim, it will prompt in the upper left corner, and the game will not be affected. I see. Thank you very much for your answer. Thank you!

30. Pookeyhead

Here's what everything looks like on mine. Make sure it's streaming in 1440p.

• Like Like x 1
  31. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

you'd be hard pushed to say TSW3 looks significantly better than that...

• Like Like x 1
  32. leaf1

leaf1 New Member

Hello, bro, using your ReShade preset, do you need to check the boxes for every single shader option when installing ReShade? My ReShade version is 5.4.2

33. Pookeyhead

No, you can just tick the ones you know you need. However, as they are all really quite small, and it will only actually load what it needs, I always just tick everything to ensure that there's nothing missing should my needs change in the future.

34. ex_railwayman

ex_railwayman Active Member

Hello Pookey, thank you for the URL to the Reshade website, it suggests that we should be running .NET Framework 4.6.2, or, higher, (4.8), but, how do we check on our PCs which version we have installed currently. I'm not very tech savvy, and don't know where the .NET Framework is on my computer, any idea how to check please, I don't want to download it if it's already installed.

Cheerz. Steve.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  35. Pookeyhead

36. decrepitts#7027

decrepitts#7027 Well-Known Member

To check for already installed Framework versions:

Using your file manager software of choice, go to the partition Windows is installed on.

Select "Windows\Microsoft.NET"

There you should see two sub-directory, \Framework and \Framework64

Both have sub-directories. They show which versions of Framework are already installed.

37. leaf1

leaf1 New Member

thanks! bro!

• Like Like x 1
  38. ex_railwayman

39. ex_railwayman

40. ethcr#4723

ethcr#4723 Member

Any help with my game. So I have a high end pc 2060rtx and i7 I run the game in 2560 1440. And it looks really laggy on the rails and overhead cables. Im messing with the aa settings and none of them seem to help with my FPS and lagging. Idk if it's worth getting rw enhancer 2 or not because will I still have these laggy problems. Thanks

41. 5cip

5cip Active Member

with rw enhancer2 you get better and sharper textures but i use also reshade
    i have the same problems with the AA in game which looks bad
    in reshade i use also an TAA filter which makes the game looking much better

Screenshot 2022-10-10 122150.png

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  42. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

Quick question for those that know. Does RW Enhancer 2 replace RW Enhancer Pro?

43. 5cip

5cip Active Member

you can use also rw pro if you already bought it these are two different installations.
    i prefer rw 2 because of the sound updates and stations announcements^^

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. Warspite

I don't have any of the RW Enhancer versions. Can I assume RWE 2 is the newer and presumably more comprehensive version?

45. 5cip

5cip Active Member

thats correct

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  46. Warspite

Thanks

47. class2ldn2801

class2ldn2801 Active Member

If I run with ambient occlusion on my fps tanks completely from 50-60fps to 15 even with it on low, I am running at 3840x though as thats what my screen is but I do like the effects it adds on. Only way I can run it with it on is with the screen at 2560x1440 but then I get more blurring as it doesn't sit well with the default screen size, any ways around this? Its certainly playable without it just trying to spend some time getting my system looking its best.

48. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Is anyone running the game on these specifications? Will the game struggle? Any advice would be gratefully received.
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3500U Quad Core APU with Radeon Vega 8 Graphics (2.1GHz to 3.7GHz)
    • AMD Radeon Vega 8 Graphics
    • 32GB DDR4 SODIMM RAM
    • 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD
    • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  49. 878606

878606 Member

What kind advice you wanted to know? You are well in spec to run the game

50. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Thats great to know 878606 Thank you for your advice. Will it run well or will it struggle?