Graphic Requirements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by James Birchall, Aug 6, 2021.

1. James Birchall

James Birchall New Member

Can Someone Pls tell me if my following pc would be able to run train Simulator
    Processor- i5-3470
    Graphics Card- 2GB GT 270
    Storage 128 GB + 500 HHD

2. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I don’t see why not even if you have to adjust graphic settings for more modern routes.

Why not buy it and try it out? Assuming you buy it directly from Steam, you can refund it within 14 days if it doesn’t work or you’re not happy with performance, as long as you haven’t played it for more than 2 hours.

3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A 2GB Graphics card seems low for this game
    If you try it and then refund it you must have used it for less than 2 hours

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

GT 270? Do you mean GT 720? Never heard of the GT 270.
    Either way, the GPU will be a problem. It will be a thoroughly miserable experience I woudl imagine. 2GB of VRAM is very little these days. 4GB would be a bare minimum in my opinion.
    You don't mention how much RAM the system has.
    No harm in trying, but don't get your hopes up. If it is the GT720 it's a terrible GPU... not really intended for gaming at all.

5. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

Newer more detailed DLC are noticeably harder work for most systems. I'd suggest OP would do better to buy an older edition of TS that wouldn't be so demanding of the GPU. I think that'd scupper any chance of getting a refund but keys for TS2016 (for example) are less than a fiver so the risk isn't as great as it might seem at first glance.

TS can run very satisfactorily on middling hardware provided you can accept some compromises in the settings. I was very happy with TS on my old laptop which, going by the spec's mentioned, OP's system is at least as good as.

6. Pookeyhead

The core simulator is updated regardless of how old the key is. Also, even if it wasn't, it's the complexity of modern routes and assets that are more demanding, not the core game itself necessarily... but as I said... Even if he manages to find a Steam key for a 10 year old version, the core game itself will be updated as soon as he logs into Steam.

A GT720 is not middling hardware... assuming it IS a Gt720... I've never heard of a GT270, so I've actually no idea where that would fall in any performance hierarchy.

7. JJTimothy

That was my point- the real requirements for TS itself haven't really changed that much but the development of DLC with greater detail pushes those requirements closer to their limits. It'd be the routes bundled with an older edition that would make a difference.

8. Pookeyhead

I see... sorry, it was worded as if merely buying an older version of TS woudl solve any potential issue.

Even so... that GPU would struggle no matter what I reckon. If it IS a GT720, I actually have one installed in this system (see screenshot below) purely to run a second monitor. As my main GPU (a GTX980Ti) is a GM200 (Maxwell) based card, running two screens off it prevents it from clocking down in 2d and desktop mode... so I run the second screen (only used for Photoshop tools etc) off the GT720. Just out of curiosity, I once tried it as a main GPU and it was seriously terrible.

423452345.JPG

GT720s go on Ebay for less than a tenner. A base level/entry level card when new, 7 years ago, and it hasn't aged well.

If it is a GT270... I can't comment, as I've never heard of them, and can't find anything about a Nvidia card of that model.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  9. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

The GT 720 is not designed for gaming. Looking at one important spec, it has a memory bandwidth (MBW) of around 14Gb/sec - for TS to run anywhere decently you need a memory bandwidth of at least 60Gb/sec. It may run TS (not well) but keep in mind that some of the later inbuilt graphics hardware will have higher MBW.

10. JJTimothy

On reflection I agree- my point was incompletely made.

It seem's there's a graphics card with that name:
    https://www.diskdepot.co.uk/acatalo...-2gb-graphics-card-superclocked--evga-gef.htm
    ...and the OP does call it a card rather than a GPU- the distinction will be lost on some.

11. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

JJT
    That link shows a GTX 760 card mislabeled possibly as a 270?

gtx 760.png

12. JJTimothy

Ah yep- should've looked at that.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  13. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Unless you mean a Radeon R9 270?

14. Pookeyhead

That says GTX270, not GT270, and as PH says, I reckon that's a typo, as there was DEFINITELY no such thing as a GTX270 and the image shows a GTX760. There was a GTX275.. but no 270.. and the 275 dates from 2008, so it's unlikely to be that.

Either way... whatever he's got, it's got 2GB of VRAM, so it's gonna be old.

15. Pookeyhead

Possible. I guess until the OP replies, we'll just have to wait and see. If it IS a R9 270... that's not exactly going to set his pants on fire with its performance either, although it would be better than a GT720.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021