Forthcoming Unreal Engine Upgrade Ps4 Specific Question.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by shhweeet#4292, Aug 7, 2021.

1. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Ok so we are shortly to get a free upgrade to a new unreal engine for TSW2 for free and whilst I’ve been following this story for a while and understood some of it I must confess in the greater scheme of things I don’t really know what actual differences as an original PS4 player I can really expect to see / experience if any? from what I have now when this new upgrade is released.

I’m a casual gamer on my PS4 so not really well up on the finer details of performance and specs with regards to different gaming platforms and even versions of PlayStation. Obviously I realise a PS5 is superior in every way to a PS4 and load times will be faster etc but tbh that’s as far as it goes really.

So dumb question aside can someone point out in layman’s terms what differences if any? I can expect to really see on my original PS4 when we get this new upgraded engine. Tbh I suspect for me this new upgraded engine isn’t going to make that much difference to what I already have now. Am I right?

Edit… Also is there really that much for an original PS4 player to get excited about with regards to the new Rush Hour apart from new routes?

Thanks in advance for putting up with these dumb questions but you might be surprised how helpful the answers will be to quite a few players who are too embarrassed to ask.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Excellent question. We have heard about the changes DTG are making to the game for when the update comes but I don’t know what improvements will come from it being specifically a newer version of UE4. Slight performance improvements possibly? Nothing we will notice while playing I’d guess, so you are probably right that there won’t be much difference.

As for what to get excited about, there is the new controller scheme and the new user interface design, and the distance to objective will be easy to read for the first time in a year.

• Like Like x 3
  3. manticor225

manticor225 Well-Known Member

Maybe the PS4 will see a slight benefit from the enhancement that is changing how the shadows are rendered?

• Like Like x 2
  4. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Also maximum number of passengers on base console goes from 20 to 100, so it will look more lived in as you arrive at stations

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. shhweeet#4292

The distance to objective will be very welcome by me because as it stands it’s quite difficult and eye straining for me to see the countdown distance to a station and my long range sight isn’t that bad allegedly. I also wish they would make the floating waypoint marker a bit easier to see as well. The interface design I’ll reserve judgement tbh. I don’t see much wrong with the one we already have. The new controller scheme might be worthwhile as well so long as it’s not a radical change to what I’ve spent weeks getting used to. I can’t see there being much difference in actual game play performance. It plays well enough for this casual gamer. Maybe less stutter which I sometimes get but not that often. As for Rush Hour I feel PS4 users are going to be quite disappointed after all the hype over it. I mean at the very least I would expect lots more passengers on the station platforms and using the trains, and a lot more AI trains around as well. Whether PS4 has the capability to deliver on this and the hype remains to be seen but if PS4 users are at a serious disadvantage to what a PS5 user experiences then count me out. I might buy BML as a solo purchase if became available really cheap enough just for the route but then again?

• Like Like x 2
  6. shhweeet#4292

Thats good news for PS4 paupers like me.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

If i remember correctly Matt said only PS5 and the new xbox's and PC would only get the new shadow benefit

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Another benefit appears to be a significant reduction in file size.

• Like Like x 3
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Based on the UE upgrade on PC, there is a significant bump in framerate. Since I imagine that is due to the engine, the new version should also run faster on PS4 than it did before.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Well, if John Kennedy was right, "a rising tide lifts all boats", the optimization allowed by UE 4.26 should benefit all platforms.

• Like Like x 2
  11. shhweeet#4292

So as it stands I should be about 60% PS4 excited? ;):D

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. manticor225

manticor225 Well-Known Member

When you say PS5, are you referring to the upcoming PS5 version only? Or would a PS4 version played on a PS5 also see an upgrade?

13. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

I am also on PS4 and to be honest at the moment just looking forward to the preserved collection updates, just hope that the changes to MSB and WSR also have the improved TSW2 sky boxes.

I suppose as others have mentioned we should see a potential performance improvement with the move to a later unreal version. TBH I am still happy with TSW2 on PS4, it’s not exactly a FPS so I don’t need a stellar frame rate 100% of the time and it doesn’t really detract from the game that much for me.

I do love the idea of increased passengers up to 100 at stations from the lowly 20 we get at present.

I blew my PS5 fund at the beginning of the year due to the availability issues and as I still have not got a UHD TV I don’t really see the point at the moment so I hope DTG continue to support the last gen crowd. I am sure there are still a lot of us out there!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Crosstie

There sure are. At this point Sony have sold about 114 million PS4's and 10 million PS5's. So the ratio for TSW2 is probably about 10 last gen for every next gen console.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

If they drop suport on Ps4/XboxOne would be the frist time i see happening on a game midway his timespan and i would lose respect for them forever...

16. Crosstie

If you were watching today's stream, you would have heard MP state clearly that it would be crazy to stop supporting last gen consoles, so you shouldn't be at all concerned.

• Like Like x 1
  17. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Though I have to say "Famous Last Words".

I'll see and believe it all "When" the forums on this site, wax lyrical about the improvements and lack of bugs over the last year issue we have all been putting up with.

Certainly a PS5 is a long way off in my priorities and my PS4 works just fine. Same goes for my TV which works great. I am not one of those who have to have the latest spec something, call me old school if you like ;) but I do not have bottomless pockets of money.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I do think it would be a bit of commercial suicide to stop supporting the previous generation consoles given the huge numbers still in use and the so few next generation consoles in people’s living rooms.

That said, given the clear limitations of these machines, particularly RAM, they cannot hold PC and next generation versions of the game back. Those still using the older generation machines will just have to accept there might not be complete parity in the not too distant future. Although it has already started with DFS etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. borg#1850

Fully Agree with you. The really "Big" thing for me is the saved games and trophies cross over "Must" happen.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I also think it will be quite some time before the standard consoles are dropped. The next gen ones would probably have to have been around quite some time. I am assuming it will all be down to research, they may have set a soft target in their minds of say 80% of console players being on Next Gen before it's dropped. When it gets to a level like that they may not find it cost effective to keep maintaining a version that fewer players have. Pure speculation of course

• Like Like x 2
  21. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

You have to remember, the PS4 is 8 year old hardware at this stage. Granted it's optimized for gaming being a console, but take the best PC guts you could buy for €400 8 years ago and see how it runs if it can TSW2 today. There you go. It's actually some achievement TSW2 runs the way it does on last gen consoles.

• Like Like x 1
  22. shhweeet#4292

Well the nuts and bolts of it all is if they stop supporting PS4 and more importantly stop doing their best to tap into untapped PS4 abilities ( allegedly ) then I’m one who will probably just drop out and move onto something else. One day I might get a PS5 along with a 4K telly and I might possibly return to TSW2/3 but then again my interest could possibly have moved onto something else so I might never return to it. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t be alone, so yeah it’s a risky strategy on DTG’s part if they just abandon not so well heeled customers or customers with other priorities than getting a PS5. Customers they have worked hard at attracting in the first place. Train sims are a passion for some but for others it’s just a game albeit one that the casual gamer does have an actual interest In.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  23. borg#1850

I am not sure they will stop anytime soon, as others have said. But yes I to would just keep playing with what I have now and not upgrade or buy anything new. So lost sales for both companies.

• Like Like x 1