New Version Of Ac4400 Still Acting Up

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by VolvoB10M, Aug 7, 2021.

1. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I had issues before with the CSX AC4400 not working, but now I can't even use the Cane Creek route since it is just doing the same things as the CSX one plus more problems.

I set the systems up fully with it set to run and generator field on although I could not find the pump control switch which is normally next to the generator field switch, the brakes are setup on the EM2000 screen but the straight air will not release fully. The cab lights also seem to only work when the power unit is stopped which seems to be new to this version although I have not tried the CSX one in a long time since I kept getting incompatible loco combinations which would cause a leading EMD to stop working.

As I previously experienced with the CSX AC4400 along with any EMD coupled to a CSX AC4400, the UP version cannot seem to restart once it has shut down. I have set the switch to start and tried using the jog position but it will not restart.

I also can't seem to find any 26 valve below the brake on the AC4400 either which could have caused the brake problem but I don't even know what it even does in the first place.

How can I get this working?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2021
  2. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I am now stuck on the SD40-2 which has the brakes released but acting as if they are on after removing the load, the brake is lead dead and freight but it will not move. How am I supposed to continue on any services on this route without this happening?

3. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

The AC4400 has no 26 valve to change, use the TMS screen to cut-in the train brake and set it to lead. The pump control switch is next to the engine run and gen field switches to your left just under the desk. Hover your mouse just at the edge of the desk and you should see the tooltip for it.

The SD40 also sounds like you need to cut in the brake handle to freight mode, its a small silver dial on the train brake handle. The brake won't release unless you set it.

Good luck!

4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

VolvoB10M: Since your OP doesn't mention it, did you run Cane Creek's AC4400 tutorial?

5. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I have got the brake on the SD40 set to freight but after running round the SD40 struggles to regenerate the brake pipe pressure, often only blowing up to 80 psi. The AC4400 has cut in and lead set on the screen but won't generate brake pressure..

I did the tutorial on the CSX one but it never showed any way of changing run/start/jog modes or restarting it.

6. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Also don't forget to confirm the new settings after changing them on the screen.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Which specific scenario or timetable is it where you need to run round? I'll see if I can recreate the problem.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
  8. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Ditto. Unless you press "Save", the changes haven't been made.

9. LastTrainToClarksville

Your OP mentioned only the AC4400 engine, then you switched to the SD40. In regard to the AC4400, I asked whether you have completed the Cane Creek tutorial for this engine, which is considerably different from the one on the CSX route.

10. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

I did press the confirm/save button which updates the top row and I heard a valve hissing in response to the changes. I did LDG51-C to Potash then after that I let it automatically continue to LDG51-C switching at Potash which is where I had the issue blowing up after running round. This was with the SD40-2.

Edit: I just did the AC4400 training for the Cane Creek and it didn't show how to start the power unit after being shut down, it was like the CSX one that only shows the brakes and controls.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2021
  11. LastTrainToClarksville

Check page 24 of users' manual for very detailed instructions for "Starting an AC4400CW from a cold and dark state (fully switched off".

12. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

That is the same procedure I have been using but it will not restart.

13. LastTrainToClarksville

Not surprising, since restarting is obviously not the same as "Starting an AC4400CW from a cold and dark state."

14. LastTrainToClarksville

Please identify the specific activity (scenario or timetable session) that you are attempting to drive.

15. VolvoB10M

VolvoB10M Guest

It is on multiple timetable runs since most use the AC4400, if starting and restarting is different how do you restart it? I have also found it is not possible to blow up on a AC4400 that is already running after coupling to stock to shunt.