Season Pass Confusion

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Bradley, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Forgive me, but im really confused about this whole season pass thing, when we (or some) buy the season pass do we pay for all 3 routes at once or will we have to pay for all 3 and the season pass?, forgive me if this has been asked elsewhere

• Like Like x 2
  2. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

You buy the season pass in advance and that entitles you to the three routes coming as part of Rush Hour. You’ll be able to download each route without extra charge once they’re released.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. AmtrakAcela75

AmtrakAcela75 Member

You get them at a discount rate of 39.99 for all 3 routes instead of 29.99 per route, the routes will become available when dovetail official releases them, the nec will be the first route and most likely be released in early August, the end of summer is September 22 so most likely we'll get the German route at the end of August/ Beginning of September and the British route at the end of September. Since dovetail have said all routes will be released by the end of summer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Not entirely true. You're purchasing them for £10 more than their originally intended price. I'm not quite sure why the season ticket isn't £24.99 (DTG have neglected to explain that bit) but either way it does mean you'll get three routes 50% cheaper than the usual price of DLC's.

5. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

The price increase has been seen across multiple games. Bus Simulator 21 will cost more than Bus Simulator 18. Forza Horizon 5 will cost more than Forza Horizon 4. There's also Japanese Rail Sim on PS4 for £40, which is just FMV.

As there are now two generations of consoles to deal with you typically see this increase of game prices.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

The individual routes are now £24.99 each, which is quite the mark up, so £34.99 for all three is a pretty good deal.

Source: The latest news story.

7. box215

box215 Active Member

Forza Horizon 5 will be the same price as Forza Horizon 4
    On GamePass day from day 1 ;)

• Like Like x 3
  8. drdavewatford

drdavewatford Active Member

Apart from IOW all of the TSW2 route DLC costs £24.99 per route so I'm not seeing how this is a mark-up.

I do however agree that paying £34.99 for a season pass and getting all three routes is a good deal; that's certainly what I'll be doing.

• Like Like x 2
  9. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

it does cost more to purchase though. It is £85 for the premium edition vs £80 for the ultimate edition of the last game. Think the price went up for all editions of 4 as I got it in 2018.

This time I will be going the game pass route.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2021
  10. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

And to think people are complaining about £34.99 :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

three routes for £34.99 is actually okay i like buy

• Like Like x 1
  12. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

The season pass DTG are offering is a one time purchase to own three new routes that are going to be released.

13. WVUadam

WVUadam Well-Known Member

If you have game pass you and
    Can also buy the ultimate edition addon bundle for £36 if getting the standard edition via game pass

• Like Like x 1
  14. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Someone on Facebook is saying after all three routes are released the price will be £24.99 for all three. Surely not until the Sales kick in. Can DTG please confirm?

15. philwest#7393

philwest#7393 Member

It looks as though DTG are treating Rush Hour as three separate maps so in that regard the pricing makes sense, this also makes the season pass good value if you want all three maps.

16. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

‘Someone on Facebook’

I love it

DTG did announce a price of £24.99 originally, but have decided to go with £34,99 (in UK). They explained about an increase in costs (not really their fault) and admitted they shouldn’t have announced a price a few months ago until they knew for sure (100% their fault)

I will probably wait until all three routes are out and will then buy the season ticket (I believe that’s what it’s called, not season pass).

17. drdavewatford

No, the price for these new routes will be £24.99 EACH, or £34.99 for all three with the season ticket.

18. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

WSR also costs £20 doesn’t it ?

19. drdavewatford

That one's part of the Preserved Collection so I wasn't counting it as TSW2 DLC, although it's obviously compatible.

20. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

I think the season pass price is fair for three routes, but doesn't fit my situation. I have no interest in the European routes, so I will pay the higher price for the Amtrak route and not clutter my board with routes I don't play.

21. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Yeh but those editions come with more content. The standard edition will cost the same and will be on Gamepass therefore Forza Horizon 5's price has not gone up. Also if you have gamepass, the game is free

22. bones.n.hombre

Totally off topic

Game pass isn’t ‘free’ and it does worry me long term for games.

For instance Forza Horizon 5

Ive played and enjoyed all the Forza Horizon games, but if this one is ‘included with game pass’ then how do Turn Ten, Playground games and Panic Button, actually make money?

Presumably (but hopefully not) there will be some internal game mechanics to buy gems/stars or something similar.

I remember when iPhone games broke new ground with touch screen controls and working hard to grab our interest and money, circa 2010 (?). Then it became every game is ‘free’, but sure enough after ten minutes of play you could ‘pay for a coldown’ or ‘skip the level’ (you were stuck on.

The future looks worryingly bleak.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

Yippie

• Like Like x 1
  24. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Gamepass isn't expensive either. $1 subscription for new players and can get 3 months for $30 is a good deal

25. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

It will cost the same because FH4 editions all increased the prices. £49.99 it was for standard edition before 2021. It is now £54.99.

I had to buy TSW2020 (on sale) to get my preserved routes available in TSW2. So Game Pass in a way just makes me end up spending more money.

26. Alex_m30x#7297

Why did you have to buy tsw2020 to get your preserved routes?

27. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Because it often works out cheaper to buy the TSW2020 versions than the TSW2 versions (maybe because TSW2020 is on gamepass and offers a discount on DLC for it).
    Also, you are getting 2 for the price of one really as you pay for the TSW2020 version and you get the TSW2 version free.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. Alex_m30x#7297

Fair enough
    You phrased it you already had it and you bought it to be able to use it

29. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I had TSW2020 on Game Pass, which does not give you TSW2 versions.

30. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

That's because you don't own the base game through game pass. If you bought any add-ons, you do own them but if it gets taken off game pass then you can't use them unless you buy the base game which is discounted when you want to buy it (the same as any game pass game is like Forza etc).

31. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

There's been a lot of good journalism on the topic of how Game Pass really makes the big bucks, it's a pretty wild ride, and it turns out it's actually heavily from conventional sales of games.

Essentially, the primary focus of the Game Pass business model is getting people to pay twice for games, once in the form of the sub, and again when many choose to buy the game outright to keep when it leaves Game Pass.

For first-party games from MS-owned studios, which form the core of the Game Pass library, the value proposition for MS of putting all their games on it is that they get the money from Game Pass subs, *and* from people who have Game Pass being more willing to buy DLC for games they got "free" as users often don't treat the subscription as money "spent" on the games.

What we can say for sure from all the research into where they make the money on it is that the Game Pass business model is, ironically, targeted at the kinds of gamers who prefer to own their game collection, essentially the "whales" of this business model, who don't want to lose a game when it exits Game Pass, and so will buy it when that happens. They know that when presented with a plethora of games on a "try before you buy" basis, these gamers will subsequently attempt to buy as many as possible. Sales data has been found to support that games which are featured on Game Pass tend to see higher figures than comparable games which are not, as a result of this strategy. It's how MS market the value proposition to third party publishers when presenting the option of putting a game on Game Pass.

• Like Like x 3
  32. bones.n.hombre

Good post.

Im not sure many gamers want to collect or hold on to games they have finished. I’m sure some do, but unlike say an album, where one forms a connection with the band and can return too many times over numerous years, games tend to age poorly by comparison.

Currently game pass is a good deal. However so was Sky when it started, or any other subscription model. Once you’re in the price creeps or the quality drops.

Microsoft are essentially a business and their job is to make money, I don’t believe they provide game pass for our benefit.

Imagine I’m a developer making a game and I have this grand vision, for my title. The game will take a couple of years to make. All of a sudden Microsoft offer me millions of pounds to make it a ‘day one’ game pass game. Where is my motivation now to follow my vision, while I have the money in the bank.

I hope I’m wrong, but when I read about how much musicians make when people stream their music from Spotify/YouTube/ Apple Music, compared to buying an actual album, I worry.

33. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

I'm that gamer. I have an 8TB SSD hooked up to my Series X so I can keep every XBox game I own installed, all 500 or so of them, and any time I want I can instantly fire up Knights of the Old Republic II, Jet Set Radio, or Beyond Good and Evil.

• Like Like x 1
  34. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

Honestly at first I was going to only buy NEC but It's a steal to get all 3 routes

35. AmtrakAcela75

AmtrakAcela75 Member

It sounded on the last stream that after the new year they said they weren't sure if they still have the season pass, im guessing that's why all routes are being sold separately and not bundle together like tsw 2020 and tsw2, instead it will be a limited time bundle to push people towards buying the bundle Early instead of waiting and paying more in the end, and after the new year when all 3 routes are out they take away the pass.

36. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of DTG where the simple can be made more complicated than it needs to be.

Basically, you will pay upfront for three routes which will be released over the summer (which has about 3 weeks remaining, but that's another thread).

But in true DTG fashion, just to confuse people, they decided to name it the same as something that other companies use when all new content they release during a given period of time will be included.

37. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

If only they'd been creative and named it something like:

"Rush Hour Bundle"

Not only would everyone understand, but it would be unique to them. If anyone wants a decent season pass, get Snowrunner, at least their season isn't the last month of summer only...

• Like Like x 1
  38. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

6 weeks. Summer ends 21st September.

39. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Astronomical season 21 June – 23 September
    Meteorological season 1 June – 31 August
    Solar (Celtic) season 1 May – 31 July

Alternatively, they could also be a week late!

Or, they may even be working to Southern Hemisphere summer which will give them until March next year!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2021
  40. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Sorry if I’ve missed it but where and when can I purchase this season pass? Thanks

41. philwest#7393

philwest#7393 Member

Looks like something they want to continue going by their survey!

42. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

It will be available on the store of your your system (Steam/Epic, XB or PS) when the update arrives on the 19th August.

• Helpful Helpful x 1