Improving Modern British Content?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by 50001, Aug 3, 2021.

1. 50001

50001 New Member

I'm having a great time with the modern German content. For each route there are multiple modern locomotives and a good choice of service. I just wonder why the modern British locomotive content seems so thin?

At the moment there is only one modern locomotive (the 66). Yet we have others from the earlier TSW that would be an easy update. Why hasn't the 37 been updated to modern spec and livery. There are several modern operators. DRS still have 20s in service, yet we have none of these either...

Britain's two main passenger locos are the 67 and 68 and are operated by more than one company. These have hauled excursions and railtours all over the system so could be used on any route.

Similarly, what about the inclusion of infrastructure Network Rail trains? These could be justified on any route and could be operated by a variety of locomotives.

I am grateful for the modern British routes, but only South Eastern High Speed has any variety of content. Is the British market just too small, compared to the German? Or does the German sell very well because there are so many different trains available to operate?

Or do the developers struggle to get British licenses for some reason? If so, this seems odd, given there are so many British train operators to choose from. I think at least 5 different operators currently have 37s on the books...

• Like Like x 3
  2. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

It's partly because although Germany does have private operators, there is one main one, with one main livery that can realistically be seen anywhere throughout the country. It means that every new German addon comes with a double bonus: its new stock can be used on your other German routes, and the stock from those routes instantly enhance this one. This is ideal for density and variety of traffic.

With the UK it's harder because it's so atomised - and also because third rail is much more widespread. It's hard, therefore, to re-use stock from Southeastern on Cathcart Circle. I think you're right that there should be more universl stock - the closest you'll get in the privatised era is freight stuff or Crosscountry.

More, I think DTG should follow the German model with their UK releases: develop new routes that share stock with existing routes, so you get that effect of diversifying stock. I'd like to see another Strathclyde route - I find that area interesting anyway, but a couple of new units would enliven Cathcart Circle, while the 315 could be used alongside new units on the new route. Similarly, the idea of a South London network works so well because of this: with a couple of new bits of stock, plus trains from GatEx, ECW, SEHS, you've suddenly got 8 or 9 potential trains on a route - and again, more trains on those routes too.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Trainiac

Trainiac Well-Known Member

IMO I'd much rather see new releases with brand new trains, I'm ok with German releases having reused stock because you can just about see any train anywhere across the country. But with British release theirs so much variety in the trains you see in each region of Britain to me reusing trains excessively to me seems waisted Opportunities, especially when there are still trains we haven't seen in TS that could come first like the class 700, 717, 185, 195 and 331, there's still so much we don't have in TSW.

4. simontreanor81

simontreanor81 Well-Known Member

No, I think there should be new trains - as there often is in German routes - but the sweet spot is when new trains can be used on other routes, and existing trains can be used on the new route.

• Like Like x 2
  5. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

This reminds my of a similar thought quite recently. I had the impression that UK locos have less flaws then German locos. Whenever i have raised a ticket to DTG it was related to a German Loco. None for UK ones. So, maybe the grass is indeed greener on the other hand. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The issue for me on this is that there are a few trains which are ubiquitous in the UK, but they're NOT London Centric, and those would be the Sprinters, 158 & 170 (these get most places in the country and could be subbed in almost everywhere outside of the southeast)
    Even the 220/221 could be used in a load of places (because they run the full length of the country on Cross Country and Avanti Services)

The main issue IS licensing, even to the point that Arriva aren't doing licensing for such things at the moment even though they're a subsidiary of DB who DO have a license with DTG

If the above units were built DTG could do any route between 1992 and 2010 and populate many of the local and regional runs almost immediately

• Like Like x 2
  7. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

(This is a bit longer than i'd usually write in a reply, feel free to grab a cup of tea.) With the UK, licensing is a mountain compared to that in Germany.

DB have (and most likely will continue to) worked with DTG for years, and they seemingly have a good working relationship.

In the UK, However, It's more complicated.

TOCs decide if they want their brand in game or not, and some say no.

Abellio (Greater Anglia, EMR, WMR/LNWR) are the most awkward, being owned by NS (Nederlandse Spoorwegen), they haven't licensed once before.
    (Note that I have excluded ScotRail and MerseyRail here, that is on purpose)

Arriva are another one. They once had a lot of content in game, with the Ex-Arriva Trains Wales franchise, as well as the Cross Country TOC, both featuring in TS. However, following DB putting them up for sale, that content has been retracted. Interestingly, Grand Central's Class 180 (ft. Arriva) is still available on Steam.

More on Cross Country shortly as well.

Now, the UK licensing topic has been thrown slightly in the air recently, thanks to a user on the TSC Discord (who's username escapes me) finding this list withing the files of the Epic Version (?), inside a folder literally called 'LicensorLogos'
    Here's the image:
    unknown-1.png
    Now, these (I think) are the logos you'd see in the menus.

Ignoring the North American/EU entries here, let's focus on the UK ones, as that's the topic here.
    I'll split this into three categories (focusing on passenger ones)
    1) In/Coming to TSW
    2) Has appeared in TS Classic
    3) Has appeared in TS Classic BUT was removed OR hasn't appeared in TS Classic.

In/Coming to TSW
    • British Railways (NTP, TVL)
    • GWR (GWE)
    • Gatwick Express (BML)
    • Network Southeast (IOW)
    • ScotRail (GCC)
    • Southeastern (SEHS)
    • Southern/Southern DfT (ECW, BML)
    • (London) Underground (BKL)
    • West Somerset Railway (WSR)
    In TS Classic (hasn't been fully removed), and appears on this in-files list, hasn't appeared in TSW:
    • Avanti West Coast
    • Chiltern Railways
    • First Great Western
    • Grand Central
    Hasn't appeared in either OR has appeared in TS and was fully removed (on this list):
    • CrossCountry (Removed)
    • Great Northern (No Appearance)
    • MerseyRail (No appearance)
    • Thameslink (No appearance)
    Now, let's talk about these
    (It is at this moment I realised that I'm accidentally constructing an essay over this.)

A couple of these are "anomalies" when it comes to the companies behind them:

CrossCountry, operated by Arriva, and fully taken down from TS, is here. It was removed as Arriva were put up for sale by DB, however, despite Grand Central remaining, XC was removed from sale on steam. Maybe this is a chance for it to return.

MerseyRail (50% owned by Abellio) also appears, however I'll come back to that.

Thameslink & Great Northern (both GTR) have always been "tricky" licenses. Both were formerly First Capital Connect, which appeared multiple times, however when the license transferred we get nothing from the new licenses.

Thameslink has become more prominent with SEHS and BML both having potential for a Class 700 DLC (Thameslink) [Note: the 700 itself has to be licensed]

Great Northern just hasn't showed up.

Now, MerseyRail and ScotRail,
    both are incredibly unique situations.

The brands are both owned by the respective transport boards (Merseytravel & Transport Scotland)

In ScotRail's case, the only reference to the franchise holder (Abellio OR First) on the livery is a sticker on the doors - easily bypassed by just not including it. In stations there are usually a couple of signs saying 'Scotrail is operated by Abellio' (or First if pre-2015), but as Cathcart shows, they are easily removable and nobody cares.

MerseyRail is similar, belonging to MerseyTravel, with the good old yellow livery. Throughout all the images I can find that show the MerseyRail livery, not one seems to reference Abellio, so that's a plus.

Loco wise; the UK network is even more fragmented.

I'll simplify:

Electrostars (357/375/377/387)
    All operate within the south-east, there or there abouts.

Turbostars (168/170/171/172)
    Operate practically everywhere, Scotland, Wales, Anglia, South-West, Midlands, you name it, even on CrossCountry!

Desiros (185/350/360/380/444/450)
    Operate the following:
    South-West (444/450)
    West Midlands (350)
    East Midlands (360)
    Scottish Suburban Lines (380)

Desiro City (700/707/717)
    Thameslink & Great Northern (700/717)
    South-east (707)
    South-West (707)

Networkers (465/466)
    Southeastern (Both)

Networker Turbo (165/166)
    GWR (both)
    Chiltern Railways (165)

Sprinters (150/153/155/156/158/159)
    Operate practically anywhere. Wales, Scotland, GWR, Anglia, East Midlands, Northern. You name it, they probably have or had them.

Capitalstar (378)
    London Overground

Aventra (345/701/710/720/730)
    Crossrail/Elizabeth Line (345)
    South-West (701)
    London Overground (710)
    Anglia (720)
    West Midlands (730)

A-Trains (80×/385/395)
    South-east/HS1 (395)
    Scotland (Electric only) (385)
    ECML (800, 801, 802, 803)
    GWML (800, 802)
    WCML (805, 807)
    East Midlands (810)
    Trans-Pennine (802)

Voyagers (220/221/222)
    East Midlands (222)
    CrossCountry (220, 221)
    WCML (221)

Coradia (175/180)
    Wales (175)
    ECML (180)

Juniper (334/458)
    Scottish Suburban (334)
    South-West (458)

Now, I'll leave this here, but that's most of the Main Families of UK trains, so you can see how fragmented it is.

(Only including stock still in service) (PEPs and stuff are also very common)

TL;DR: it's a mess.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

Suppose I am old School (Well I am 64 LOL) there are a lot of units in that list. WOuld be good to see some modern Locomotives and not EMU's but then that's just me. ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  9. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

That's a good point. UK content features a lot of MUs, but only one non-ancient locomotive (Class 66).

• Like Like x 2
  10. kenobi#1878

kenobi#1878 Well-Known Member

I never realised how complicated Britain’s railways were, blimey

• Like Like x 1
  11. Lightspeed

Lightspeed Well-Known Member

That’s privatisation for ya. Since all the railways in Britain got split up and sold off to private train operating companies, getting a license for a U.K. route is very awkward to do. Driving MUs and the same class 66 loco get boring after a while. Need more modern British locos such as class 70, 68 and older stock with updated features such as TPWS and modern headlights.

• Like Like x 2
  12. stephen220378

stephen220378 Active Member

Cathcart Circle is set in 2014, Abellio didn't become the Scotrail operator until 2015, that's why they aren't on the doors or signs in the stations.

• Like Like x 1
  13. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Cathcart has NO TOC logos, because DTG have neither an Abellio nor a First license. What they do have is Scotrail.

• Like Like x 2
  14. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I know that. I'm talking in present day about all these liveries/licenses.

And, incase you don't know, First also had stickers. So despite it being in the First Era, there are no branding for them either. It's a quick bypass. In-fact, I'll go add that back for you, eh?

• Like Like x 1
  15. paulc

paulc Well-Known Member

Yes we do need more British locos other than th excellent 66, not more DMU/EMU's.

• Like Like x 1