Train Simulator 2022

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by nwp1, Jun 5, 2021.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

If DTG gets rid of TS, DTG goes bankrupt. It's as simple as that. There is not enough customer interest in the game they are putting their effort and time into to fill the gap of money lost, while there is a much broader range of support for the game that seems like an afterthought at times.

September. Usually is.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Oh, so I'm a superfan??? Maybe so but then again maybe I prefer a better gaming experience...!!!

Maybe you need to go back to your TSW forum & hide under a rock until you have learned a bit more about TS...

Last edited: Aug 9, 2021
  3. benhhng

benhhng Member

Agree the 1 and 2, the trains stop at different position is common in reality, and the weather is variable.
    Also I 'd like to suggest that the trains should have more realistic acceleration and deceleration rate.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dunkrez

dunkrez Well-Known Member

Probably an idea to keep the discussion on topic, so....

Cannot wait for TS2022. Can't say the same about trackside walker.

5. raptorengineer

raptorengineer Active Member

i like that weather system on Sherman hill mission arrival of the thunderheads. it was easy to make and you place message marker to activate it. maybe that could be added to core of ts 2022. it had lighting as well.

6. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I know right.. Fancy liking and supporting TS20xx on the TS20xx forum, damned cheek...

• Like Like x 5
  7. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I know DTG struggle for ideas when it comes to TS20xx so here let me help..

Routes:
    U.S. - Something American
    E.U. - Something European
    U.K. - Obviously the NWC + Extension branded as joking TfW (don't worry we're quite clever over here in the Proper TS community so we'll reskin them to the proper TOC liveries)

Core:
    DirectX12 with Raytracing (I jest of course)
    Fully integrate the fastload feature
    Fix the memory call error that leads to those cursed fake OOMs.
    Add a no specified destination a.i. instruction (to allow for continual looping, or push/pull operations)
    Allow distance trigger instruction for all a.i. not just QD's

Company policy going forward:
    Actually start giving a ..... about your time served, money spent player base.
    Add dedicated staff that give a .... about TS20xx
    Get more TS20xx specific map and model creators on board.

See, full of good ideas me..

• Like Like x 5
  8. benhhng

benhhng Member

The depart signal should be more clear, and the doors have to re-open if something caught at the door. Also, the passengers should have more looking, and maybe carrying baggage.

9. Cyclone

It won't be NWC. I predict the Deluxe Edition route will be Birmingham to Crewe. It's a hunch based on the interest around Birmingham of late, which existed previously in the Birmingham 2010 route (freeware). THEN NWC will come back in the following year or in 2023, possibly adding the Chester to Shrewsbury link. Shrewsbury to Crewe needs to occur somewhere, too.

I do agree they need to put focus back into TS. Putting most of the attention on the game that is getting a lower audience in my view is a bad idea. Maybe this will be a good demonstration of why I say this.

upload_2021-8-9_2-36-43.png

upload_2021-8-9_2-37-14.png

There are not mockups. That's from SteamDB. TS as I post this has 472 players to TSW's 258. In the last day, it peaked at 1,785 compared to TSW's 795, more than 50 percent higher. Over the year, 3,821 were online at once to TSW's 3,086. And I know, console, but let's be honest: who would play this on a console and enjoy it? This stuff takes up a ton of space; there are lots of other games to play on console in that limited space.

Improve the main game, please. Stop wasting the resources.

• Like Like x 2
  10. benhhng

benhhng Member

The doors should be able to choose to move the left side or right side, and the scenario maybe be able to choose the "guard mode" that the doors can be run by the guards, and you drive the train yourself, just like some routes in Asia. Also, the existing rolling stock may have some update.

11. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

To the person above writing off console players so that the figures suit their argument. Console players do enjoy the game and they pay the same price as PC players. DTG have said console players make up approx 66% of players for TSW, so theoretically TSW is now the most played game.

If your argument is that only the most played game should get the resources then you’ve argued they should abandon TS. You can’t just ignore figures because you don’t like them.

Now I want to see TS to survive as much as anyone here. It’s my favourite game out of the two. But I don’t believe DTG will make anymore major developments to a 10 year old game when they have a new game that is performing well.

I also don’t think TS is anywhere close to being abandoned. While TSW may have a bigger player base across both PC and console. It’s quite likely (but I don’t know) that TS brings in more cash, just due to the amount of DLC out there.

I like and play both games and I think they both have a future. But I don’t expect TS to get as much attention as TSW.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

Well if we think like that, they should hurry, because TSW is an almost 4 year old game now........(TSW since 2018)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

It is superior as a simulator though. I have hundreds of routes... hundreds of trains. I can do whatever I want. Class 156 in Regional Rail livery in a 1990s scenario from Crewe to Manchester? No problem. Early 2000s Virgin 87 and Mk3DVT from Preston to Birmingham? No problem. Virgin 57 Thunderbird dragging a broken Pendolino? No problem. Mk4DVT and class 91 in GNER livery from Kings Cross all the way to Edinburgh in one scenario? No problem. Steam locomotion? No problem. Literally hundreds of available routes? No problem. Create my own content, with any train on any route? No problem. Reskin my own trains, PROPERLY, by using imported imagery? No problem.

I'm seriously wondering what it is you think makes TS NOT superior to TSW? Graphics? Is that it? That's all I can think of, let's be honest, it's not as if TS looks terrible. Out of the box on low settings, using old assets, sure... it can look a bit rough, but anyone who is in any way invested in Train Simulator won't be doing that. I could understand if TS looked diabolical, but seriously... does this look THAT much worse than TSW?
    20210809110243_1.jpg
    really? Does it? It looks pretty damned good to me. Yeah, fanboys who make unfounded claims are indeed ridiculous, but I genuinely am struggling to think of any good reason as to why TSW is superior to TS20xx.

• Like Like x 8
  14. Tigert1966

So on that basis we have another 6 years for TSW. It’s less than half way through it’s development. To be honest I’m very happy with any game that gets support after 10 years. I never expected TS to be still going this long when I bought it in 2009 especially as I’ve never had to pay for any updates. I’m really glad it’s still going and hope it continues.

My point remains that I don’t think we’ll see any major new features in TS. The person I was replying to had used incorrect figures to make out TSW had a smaller player base by using only figures for TSW2 on PC (by dismissing console players). So whether we like it or not TSW is likely DTG’s primary focus.

I’m a bit sad about that in some ways as the last DLC I bought was badly buggy (Frankfurt- Koblenz) and has just been left that way. So of course I’d like to see more development both to the engine and DLC. I just don’t see it happening.

15. benhhng

benhhng Member

Maybe TS have sharper graphic. But what do you think that a coach in TS is shorter than the reality for 2 metre? One coach for 2 metre, ten coach will be 20 metre. If 10 coach in reality is 260m long, without 20m, that will be 240m long, if there is a siding was 250m long, in reality it is not enough to store 10 cars, in the game it can stored the cars, then the gameplay is distorted.

16. Tigert1966

Pookeyhead I totally agree with you that TS is he better Simulator. I still like TSW for other reasons though. To me they are completely different with a common theme of trains. If I just want a quick 30 minute drive then I’ll play TSW. If I’ve got a whole afternoon then I’ll always pick TS as I can try and make a decent scenario and then enjoy driving it (or more likely find out where I did it wrong).

There are equal amounts of Fanboys and Haters on both sides of the argument which is sad, We all love train games.

17. BeenTrain

BeenTrain Member

Well I think it is a matter of comparing Apples with Oranges.

A successor of what-ever application should have at least the characteristics of its predecessor and offers some kind of backwards compatibility. It should not be a total different game, but an evolved version of it.

TSW imo, is not the successor of TS. Total different gameplay and lacking lots of features. (lots of features)
    TSW is more arcade gameplay very much aimed at consoles.
    TS is more for the rail hobbyist bound to PC.

Nothing wrong with that, but don't compare it with TS.

Just can't believe all the investments, from both the creator and the users, are worthless after 10 years.

But Third Parties, and even DTG, are still investing in it so the potential is still there.

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I have literally no idea what you just said.

• Like Like x 2
  19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why not post this on the TSW2 forums as there are too many people that disagree with you.
    Just because there is an Editor in TS2021 does not mean everything is fixable - otherwise a lot of the problems would have been fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I personally like both sims and do play both.
    They both have upsides and downsides.
    I started playing TSW on my PS4 because I didn't have a decent enough PC at the time. Plus all of my friends are on console and I play other games with them.
    DTG isn't going to pull support for TSxx as it is still a big earner for them.

Anyway, back on topic of the TS22 release. I'd love Cross City to come with the pack for the UK (or something Yorkshire based) and definitely another American commuter route. Idk about the German routes as I barely play them on both sims (TSW and TSxx).

• Like Like x 2
  21. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I would be very surprised if DTG did a Birmingham - Crewe route as a version on ATS which covers Birmingham - Crewe - Liverpool/Preston was made very recently.
    When WCML South was released it was done first as a stand alone then in the Deluxe TS2021.

22. Cyclone

66%? So then, the total number of daily players would be 2,338. This is division of 795 by 0.34 to account for 795 being 34% of 2,338. My argument still stands. Also, the more DLC that gets released, the less likely people will be able to obtain and install all of it on console. Sure, they can uninstall different parts, but then it becomes a not-fun data management exercise.

When the time comes, I'll download and give it a go. I just feel there is much more potential for content out of a game where people can create their own scenarios and post them to a workshop over "pick a train and hop in for a similar experience" all the time. And that is why, I think, TS will remain the more interesting game as time goes on.

• Like Like x 1
  23. ntypeman

Pooky... Where'd you get the Crewe - Manchester route???

Cheers

Eric

24. raptorengineer

maybe they'll pull trainz.... you when when trainz releases train simulator every few years. maybe ts2023 when be next or 2024.

25. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

If we get a significant update (fixing long-existent glitches, graphical improvements, performance improvements, etc.) I'd be down for waiting a few more years for that.

26. raptorengineer

i think ts classic is finish with graphics and performance improvement. it about at far as dtg can make it. here on out nothing but released routes and splash screens. the game engine is at it max.

27. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Realistically, I still don't see anything but 3 rebounded routes, and possibly a new route with deluxe, but it will most likely be something from the UK.

• Like Like x 1
  28. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  29. ntypeman

• Like Like x 1
  30. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

I mean for those who use RWenhancer and ReShade, you can make TS look pretty freaking amazing.
    I don't have RWenhancer but am mucking around with reshade, making the green look more real and less "plastic" if that makes sense.

31. IsambardKingdomBrunel

Give me TS20xx over TSW2 any time. I am running the new High Wycombe & Joint Railway v5. Which is the best route in TS ever for me personally. Won't get anything like it in TSW2 and without editors it's just a dead end game not a hobby.

32. Random Railfan

Hopefully DTG will make a UK route that looks pretty good and isn't buggy so AP can add their track and weather EPs and we can run AP rolling stock. That could easily save the route and make it really solid. There are so many UK routes that are already saved by AP, for example the ECML.

33. benhhng

benhhng Member

If 1 coach in reality = 26m
    then 10 coaches in reality = 10 x 26 = 260m

If 1 coach in game = 24m
    then 10 coaches in game = 10 x 24 = 240m

Therefore if 1 siding in game is 250m, according to the reality, the siding will not have enough space to store 10 coaches, but due to the 10 coaches are 240m long in game, so the siding is able to store the 10 coaches. This make the gameplay do not same as the reality.

The Amtrak P42 and Superliner in dlc Racetrack have some complain from the net about the texture. Maybe similar as the "plastic".

34. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Those aren't supposed to look good, they are LPMs to fill in AI and Coach yards without reducing performance that an actual model does.
    ss_18c3b454bcfaba37632689fce5264fe40baafd9f.1920x1080.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  35. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Am I allowed to like both?

36. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Well-Known Member

NO!

Joking ofcourse. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  37. tsonboard

tsonboard Member

Do you have a link for that route?

38. jklimentowski

jklimentowski Active Member

The problem with TS is that it can't really adress real life operations. No matter if you drive QD or scenarios almost all the time all lights are green. There are some workshop scenarios that adress high traffic situations, but they are rare.

TSW has a timetable and this is a great idea but only if it's dense :) . If they implemented something like this in TS it would be a perfect game. For now I really miss the red lights. It's like I don't really watch the signals because I know what it will display before I even approach them...

In TSW at least I don't know what to expect when picking a tmetabled service. In TS in QD mode unless it's single track route it's not happening...

39. Kim Olesen

Actually you can make very interesting things in QD that you can’t do elsewhere in TS (and TSW).

You can make random signalling.

Been making such QD scenarios for years.

40. Random Railfan

No, pick a side and mercilessly trash the other just because of your personal preference

• Like Like x 6
  41. jklimentowski

jklimentowski Active Member

Wow. I guess I will have to do some research on that. Thanks!

42. IsambardKingdomBrunel

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
  43. tsonboard

tsonboard Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. seanpholland

seanpholland Member

It's always baffling. Each does things well, so when people start implying one is OBJECTIVELY better than the other, it's just wild.

I would love for TS22 to include many of TSW's strongest points, namely timetabling would revolutionize the experience so you don't need to hand-build scenarios. And just being able to ride along would be a fun addition, though I doubt many would be all that interested.

Will be fascinating to see whether Train Life provides actual competition to DTG, for the first time in years.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Doomotron

I'm the same, but the other way around. I've never cared about a route editor, because out of every 100 player-created routes in TS, only one or two are actually worth any time playing, and I have a very short attention span, but I'd love TSW to have a full scenario editor. The current one is nicknamed 'glorified Quick Drive' which isn't very accurate, because it's not quick to set up, which rather defeats the point of Quick Drive. However, it lacks the details and possibilities of TS' scenario editor. Personally, I would have preferred they just added Quick Drive instead of what we have now, which is unintuitive and in many ways pretty useless.

I also find that TSW copies TS too much in some ways, like with the scenarios. In TS, because there is no Service Mode, most scenarios (particularly those included in DTG routes and AP packs) strictly follow real-world workings and rarely deviate, like they used to. Yet, despite Service Mode existing solely to replicate real-world timetabled operations, almost all of the scenarios in TSW are real-world, timetabled operations, but without the features of Service Mode, like substitution (except in a few scenarios) and PIS displays. In Great Western Express, the scenarios were much more imaginative and interesting, which makes me wonder why in pretty much all other DLCs the scenarios are just half-baked Service Mode gameplay.

46. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have been wanting that since the beginning of Rail Simulator. It was available in MSTS. It seems odd that we have some lovely modelled passenger views yet no way of enjoying them without concentrating on driving!

47. Doomotron

I believe it is possible to set up player trains to be controlled by AI in the launch conditions for TS. Perhaps that could work?

48. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Okay I haven't heard that before. I will try and look into it.

49. IsambardKingdomBrunel

-followaitrain in the Steam launch options. Click player train at start of scenario and it becomes AI.
    You can only follow it from the external view though, not passenger view.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  50. Kim Olesen

If you are into German/Auatrian routes, you can try my Real Drives. They all have randomised signalling.