Cool Sim

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cwoodcox60, Aug 10, 2021.

1. cwoodcox60

cwoodcox60 New Member

i really like the game BUT there a lot of things that are not explained at all that make it almost un playable like how the locos need to be set up, how do i know the right track to be on in the yard? So is there a resource to get this information?

2. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Just do the tutorial , then it’s easy to drive the train

• Like Like x 2
  3. cwoodcox60

cwoodcox60 New Member

yes i have done the tutorial and that does not help with the route i need to take in the yard in regards to hooking to a certain train

• Like Like x 1
  4. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

The learning curve is steep. As suggested, the tutorials included in the game are a good start.

I am a big fan of the extensive starters guide written by forum member Rudolf
    https://www.hollandhiking.nl/trainsimulator/

The guide is listed under TSW downloads and is quite comprehensive.

Also, people here on the forums are happy to help with any specific issues you may have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  5. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Try page 46 in the guide:
    “Using the 2D Map”
    Let us know how it goes!

6. mancunian#7861

mancunian#7861 Active Member

He's right ... I had major problems at the very start of SE HS where you have to look in different directions but it's not made clear you have to put the mouse dot pointer over them at all! :(

• Like Like x 1
  7. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I think it doesn't really help that Sand Patch Grade is, at least in my opinion, one of the more complex routes. Lots of yard work and the locomotives often require extra steps to set up. I guess many of our American friends who play this game the first time would most likely boot up Sand Patch Grade first, while either Bakerloo or Köln-Aachen might be an easier route to get started.

• Like Like x 2
  8. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

I would say Bakerloo Line may be the easiest route of the three. There's no complex safety system and for the most time, all you have to do is like "accelerate, go from a station to another, stop, open the door". Currently the timetable is quite tight but as the speed limit thing will get updated soon, it should be better.

Köln - Aachen can be hard because of PZB and LZB, but if you are new to this game and don't activate them right away, it is actually much easier to drive the modern trains with the help of AFB and Tempomat.

Sand Patch Grade, however, is totally different from these two passenger routes. You need to know how to prepare your train and understand how the brake system works before you can even set off. It's a mountainous route and you have to pay attention to your speed. And even when doing switching services, you'll have to check the manual switches really carefully.

As SPG is the very first route of TSW, the tutorials are actually quite detailed compared to some recent ones. However, I really don't think they are enough for new players, especially those who have little knowledge about American locomotives.

• Like Like x 4
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

A user's manual is available for CSX (alias Sand Patch Grade) that includes thorough engine set-up information. As for switching, of course it's necessary to check switches as you drive -- "Elementary, my dear Watson!"

• Like Like x 1
  10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Getting the tube train to start on Bakerloo might be a tad difficult though, even I sometimes have troubles getting rid of the beeps and the hissing sound that's supposed to be some kind of safety system.

The trains are easy enough to get started. The Talent 2 might be tricky to stop before the platform runs out, and driving the ICE without the incab signalling system on high speeds means you'll run into red signals before you have the chance to stop.

The tutorials are probably decent, but it may be a bit too much information. TBH I don't think any of the base routes are really well suited for starters.

Back in the days of Train Simulator, I usually recommended newbies to get started by playing a British MU with no combined brake/throttle lever. The UK signalling system is by far the easiest to understand, MUs are generally a good way to practice station stops, and not using a combined brake/throttle lever means you'll used to the most common controls for throttle and brakes. Unfortunately the default package includes no such train, although Bakerloo probably comes closest.

11. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Sand Patch Grade is terrible for new players, mainly due to the fact that it barely reaches them anything. The locomotive tutorials don’t even teach you how to set up important things like the MU-2A Valve or the Cut-Out valve. As well as other essentials to the route that are never mentioned in game, such as dynamic brakes and banking locomotives.

I’d hate to be a new player who goes into this game blind, picks Sand Patch Grade because I like big American freight trains, and then realize I can’t get the train moving at all.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

I know what you mean. I'm a long-time simulation fan, the more realistic the better, and even I found it puzzling at times. For me it's a GOOD thing because I LOVE that setting up the locos properly actually matters and stuff like that, but for someone who just wants to hop in trains and drive it's definitely gotta be massively confusing.

I actually worry that at some point in the future they'll take out the simulation aspects in favor of simplicity, rather than focus on teaching the player this stuff.

13. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I don't worry about that. I think the ICE is a good example of the direction DTG are going. The ICE is pretty easy to get moving, so well suited for newer players, however, all the complicated features like LZB, PZB and AFB are there for the more experienced user.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Personally, I think East Coast Way is a good starting point, as well as the modern GWE. I think one of these routes should be included in the starters packs.I agree, Sandpatch is not very good for beginners, Bakerloo is a bit easier and for Köln-Aachen the class 442 is not that hard, but the ICE requires a lot more, you really need at least turn LZB and AFB on.

ECW offers easy going passenger drives and a bit more challenging freight drives. Same for GWE (modern).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I disagree you need LZB and AFB on the ICE. AFB is purely optional but makes life easier. Not using LZB gets tricky with speeds above 160km/h though.

GWE and ECW would be easier to drive, but downside is that these MUs use a combined throttle/brake lever. The Talent 2 has the same disadvantage. You'd be learning the easier controls, rather than the base controls with seperate brake lever. Lets compare it with doing driving lessons in a car with automatic gearbox, and then trying to drive a manual gearbox.

RSN and MSB have the advantage of using loco-hauled passenger trains without combined throttle/brake lever, but the German signalling system might look complex at first. Although there's the HUD to help you with that. I think both RSN and MSB would be a better route for starters.

Perhaps the NTP with the Class 47 would be a decent starting point as well. If the brakes weren't bugged...

16. Reventloff

Reventloff Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  17. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

The huge downside of tutorials, IMO, is that you cannot access them WHILE you are stuck in a scenario trying to figure things out. Furthermore you cannot skip parts of the tutorial to get to the one part you need help with.

• Like Like x 1
  18. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Very true, but I don't see how this would ever be possible. Let me describe, on the other hand, my way of having both TSW2 (or TS) and a user's manual available simultaneously: add a second monitor to your computer setup and run the sim on one while displaying the manual on the other. Of course, this requires a graphics card with two monitor connections, but most cards that are powerful enough to run DTG's train sims well do offer multiple monitor connections.

19. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

This exactly the reason why I consider the IC's fairly hard to drive any way. Not using LZB makes that in a few case you will be very unpleasantly surprised (I have seen a question where somebody was complaining about the braking distance, because he could not stop before the next signal with a start speed of 230km/h). Turning LZB on adds some complexity as well. For an absolute beginner, this may not be the best idea. The combined throttle is not such a big issue for your first driving experience. You will find out soon enough where the brake handle later, when you really need it. But, everybody learns in its own way if you have the perseverance to fall a few times and get up again, why not start with Sandpatch? You can learn it in this way as well. Just giving my opinion on what may be an easy start.

20. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You may use a tablet to consult the manuals. Most of them are PDF files and this would work well, except I do not own a tablet .:(..

• Like Like x 2
  21. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I don't see the need for two monitors when you can just ALT-TAB to a manual (be it written or video) and back to the game. :P

22. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I can see why he chooses to use two monitors, this way you can continue driving while referring to the manual no need to pause the game read then go back.