Train Sim World 2: Raildriver Support

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Dec 17, 2020.

1. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

There is no roadmap this week I think? Which to me sounds a bit iffy. There needs to be a clear statement on Raildriver and where it is heading and what trains it will support but more importantly what trains it won't support.

If DTG it is not going to support the 166 and HST then tell me, I'm a big boy and can take it. I'll take my money elsewhere, no big deal. Can you just be straight?

2. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I can predict exactly what would happen. I would imagine you'd get a time out from the moderators. They'll also tell you that they've committed to Raildriver for all new releases and that the roadmap is only for Rush Hour and the Core Update and those locomotives will have Raildriver.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhekelian

I could see that happening too but then if we do not keep asking, DTG will 'forget' about RD for the preserved routes saying there is no call for it no?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I mention it periodically on the PC forum and I encourage others to do the same. This is the place to remind DTG that we're still expecting it, rather than the stream chat. I gave up on asking questions in the chat long ago. You get drowned out by the childish nonsense that never stops throughout the stream.

• Like Like x 3
  5. jayzhead

jayzhead Active Member

I don't know how much does it matter where on the forum we post. If they're not engaging and replying here, they won't do it on a different section of the forum either.

• Like Like x 1
  6. paul.pavlinovich

I ask every new release stream and in roadmap streams, but I ask once. It keeps it front of mind but I don't get timed out.

• Like Like x 1
  7. dhekelian

I hope we get some good news soon for RD support, I'm sure it will be appreciated.

8. paul.pavlinovich

They mentioned in on the roadmap stream last week and talked about which locos were getting it. Rapid Transit is getting a revisit, apparently it just missed the release but will be in the next one. Not all preserved collection locos will have it for the summer update but apparently a lot of them will.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  9. dhekelian

It would be nice to know what preserved Trains will get supported.

10. paul.pavlinovich

In the Roadmap stream with Nat and Adam last week they mentioned
    For the summer update in the road map they talked about specifically
    • All MSB locomotives
    • West Somerset locomotives
    They've talked about Rapid Transit getting it earlier as it was in testing when the RT update went out.

Adam also talked about a number of locomotives have had the functionality added but did not want to commit to which ones would have it in the summer update as they have not yet passed testing.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dhekelian

Can't say I am filled with confidence. I know ADAM has a small team but I hope the 166 & HST make it in.

• Like Like x 2
  12. bohdee

bohdee New Member

Hello!

Has anyone tested the Epic Store version with Raildriver?

• Like Like x 1
  13. dhekelian

That's a good point, especially with the preserved routes with Trains that are not supported in the Steam version.

14. paul.pavlinovich

Yes, the three routes in the base game all work properly with RailDriver. In fact I think its the most stable version yet.

dhekelian I tested the base game which was free, but given I own the other DLC on steam I will be waiting. I don't need two paid copies just to find out if it works. I can wait to discover that :)

Paul

15. dhekelian

Oh yeah I can see that. It's cool the base game works good though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Crosstie

Well at least they're keeping up with RD on all new releases. It's working just fine for me on Cane Creek. Of course that 1-2 second delay on the alerter button seems to be universal.
    I'm looking forward to driving the Rush Hour trains with RD. That should be a blast. Pity we can't have the 421 slam door which they just released for the TS version of BML or some diesel freight on the Boston Sprinter, like we've had with other Amtrak routes.

• Like Like x 2
  17. paul.pavlinovich

The alerter delay is fixed in the EPG version, well when I say fixed I mean the delay is a lot shorter :).

I find the Cane Creek locos work ok with RD, but there is some twitchiness on the CRR F7 throttle which I had not really noticed until Michael Newbury asked me to look on my stream this morning and I certainly agree with some locos the throttle is too twitchy and skips notches.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Crosstie

The only thing I've noticed about the throttle is that, on the rare occasions when I'm in notch 8 on the SD40-2, it has a habit of sometimes slipping back to notch 7.

• Like Like x 1
  19. dhekelian

How long is the delay on the Alerter button in steam and how long is it in the Epic version?

20. paul.pavlinovich

Check out my calibration video and you will see how I counter that, I basically calibrate just shy of the end of travel for each lever.

Paul

21. paul.pavlinovich

Two seconds in steam and one second in Epic measured using imperial handfuls (i.e. not accurately). If you want an accurate measurement let me know.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  22. Crosstie

Thanks, Paul. I have watched the video but I guess I missed that tip. I'll check it out again.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Did someone watch yesterday stream? Was RD support mentioned? Can we expect new locos support from preservation collection (besides Boston) on 19.8.2021?

24. paul.pavlinovich

Yes I watched it and Adam said a significant percentage of the preserved locomotives will have RailDriver with the update but only named a few that we already knew about. I don't recall if he gave an actual percentage.

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  25. Crosstie

I recall that he said it was about 80% of all locos in the game. But you're right, he gave only one or two numbers and they didn't include the GWE locos if I remember correctly.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Adam did say 80% of the locos will now have raildriver support after the update.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

I just purchased a raildriver and am enjoying it, but expanding support (and custom button mapping) is high on my list of requests from DTG

• Like Like x 2
  28. Crosstie

Welcome to the club. As you can see, this thread started back in December, 2020. MP reiterated DTG's commitment to RD support on yesterday's stream and invited continued feedback from players. Since RD has been in Beta for almost 8 months, many of us are getting impatient for full implementation. So, our purpose with this thread is to keep RD on the front burner by talking it up, nagging and whining in a positive way to speed up the process. We're currently at 80% of TSW locos and some of us choose not to play the other 20% (mostly preserved collection) until they're brought up to speed.
    This thread is also a kind of help desk, so ask questions and post your feedback. In particular, Paul Pavlinovich and others have some resources which I'm sure they'll be happy to share with you.

• Like Like x 4
  29. LondoSpark

LondoSpark Member

When I move fast from accelerating to braking on the Bakerloo line (Using Sam's driving tactics) the brakes don't always seem to take effect even though the HUD and handle on screen are in the braking position. Am I moving the handle too fast or is this an in-game issue?

30. dhekelian

I'm sure they said in the stream that they were counting duplicate Loco's as well, so the class 101 and class 52 in different routes. Must admit I'm getting worried for the GWE not being in there, hope I'm wrong.

Nat and Matt did ask for feedback of the RailDriver and the likes and dislikes. So here it goes,

I DISLIKE that the class 166 and HST 125 have no RD support .
    I would LIKE the class 166 and HST 125 get RD support in RH.

Surely they cannot resist such a suggestion eh? lol.

• Like Like x 3
  31. paul.pavlinovich

Speed of movement should not matter. Have you calibrated the RD in game?

32. paul.pavlinovich

Crosstie is right I do have a resource you can use - I've got a document full of the printable labels that fit the RailDriver for each of the locomotives that support it today. In a week or so I'll be pretty busy updating it if it really is 80% of the locomotives that will have it post update!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/...ouid=111514735588177976561&rtpof=true&sd=true

I've also made a tutorial video on how I calibrate it

There are some tutorials on driving various locos with it as well.

I've taken to keeping it on the desk in front of the Raildriver because its annoying having to remove the plastic shield every time I change loco since the buttons aren't consistent.

Paul

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. paul.pavlinovich

I thought I heard that but wasn't sure enough to write it and was way too lazy to go back to the stream and check. Thanks mate :).

34. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

Thank you for the links! I have actually watched quite a few of your videos before without realizing who you were! I used your video to learn how to drive the class 101 with raildriver. I will print your labels out, thanks!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  35. dhekelian

I rely on your labels m8 and they are brilliant, thank you. I'm next to useless in programs used to do the labels I was wondering if what is the easiest ways of changing the colours to high contrast? I get double vision and my eyes behave better when colours are bright and the text is in contrast. Cheers and thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  36. LondoSpark

LondoSpark Member

I have, the HUD and the handle in the cab indicate that I should be braking, so I'm in the right notch, but I feel no brakes. I'll have another go soon and record it.

• Like Like x 1
  37. paul.pavlinovich

You are very welcome. Awesome they helped you, that's why they're made :).

I know the eyesight problem, I'm ok with contrast still - focus is my issue. The background colour is set using the table cell fill. You could highlight all the cells and clear the colour. You can find instructions at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...-a-table-62580400-ad23-484b-8ee0-8e6df730e51e

Yes, but have you visited the calibrate screen in advanced controller settings and calibrated your RailDriver the way I did in the video I linked to you?

Paul

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  38. dhekelian

Has everyone seen the patch notes for the update that is to be released next week? Everyone happy? Must confess I 'aint, not at all. Just about all the other routes receive some form of love including the basics of course except one. GWE, I knew I had a bad feeling about this. Not only have they totally ignored it, apart from the basics , they have taken away from it. No RD support.

I was going to buy Cathcart if RD was added in but no. I'll not buy any other route until RD support is added to GWE, there will be enough routes with RD support that I have already so i'll keep my money. Really disappointed in DTG.

39. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

The preservation crew hasn't gotten to GWE yet.

• Like Like x 2
  40. dhekelian

Have you read the released notes? I thought what they said in the notes is what will be released in the update next week. Where have they said 'they haven't got to GWE' ? If you are correct then I take it all back but haven't seen anything.

41. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I think what Anthony is getting at is that the Preservation Crew are working on Routes 1 or 2 at a time and GWE hasn't had a slot in the schedule yet. Adam usually says which ones are being worked on and which ones are next in the Roadmap stream. I haven't seen many recently so I don't know if GWE has been mentioned but the lack of any significant fixes and Raildriver support suggests that it hasn't reached it's turn yet - Hopefully that will come soon.

It's a shame, I really want to drive it with Raildriver as well so I was disappointed, but I have to confess that as my main Interest is German Trains, then there is quite a lot I'm looking forward to in this update.

• Like Like x 1
  42. dhekelian

Everyone has their own interest so no problem here. From what you say though gives me a little hope but surely they are leaving it late no?

43. bluetiger#2496

bluetiger#2496 Member

There aren't going to be any more major fixes added to the rush hour patch for preserved routes. Adam said that they are done with working on rush hour and back to their regular work. GWE is very unlikely to get anything else for rush hour. The preserved crew usually take about a month on a pair of routes, and their next routes are Peninsula Corridor and Oakville Subdivision. Once the fixes are done, it can take months to get them tested and out to the players. I would guess that you are looking at probably 4-12 months for any GWE fixes to be done and brought to the players, unfortunately. There is always the possibility of undocumented fixes for GWE, but I wouldn't count on it.

• Like Like x 3
  44. dhekelian

I'm crushed, lol. Sadly I think you are right and feel disappointed in DTG.

45. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

From the update notes for this week ( https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/train-sim-world-2-update-notes-13-08-2021.43358/ ) we can see new RD support for:

• Added RailDriver Support for the Weathered Union Pacific AC4400CW
    • Added RailDriver support for the BR Class 377/4.
    • Added RailDriver functionality for the BR 146.2
    • Added RailDriver functionality for the BR 185.2.
    • Added RailDriver functionality for the BR 766.2.
    • Added RailDriver functionality for the GP38-2 (Oakville + California)
    • Added RailDriver functionality to the DB BR 1442.
    • Added RailDriver functionality to the BR 185.5.
    • Added RailDriver functionality to the BR 767.
    • Added RailDriver functionality to the BR 143.
    • Added RailDriver functionality to the BR Class 33 and BR Class 52.
    • I suspect BR Class 47 and BR Class 09 will be supported too because of
      • Fixed an issue that prevented AWS from working properly when using the BR Class 47 with RailDriver.
      • Added Localisation for the RailDriver functionality for the BR Class 09, BR Class 33, BR Class 47 and BR Class 52.

Lots of new support, that's great DTG! Can't wait to try it out.

I am a little dissapointed for GWE and GP9rm, but at least i know they are coming sooner or later. Lots of new train support, will be easier to wait :)

• Like Like x 3
  46. paul.pavlinovich

These words have me intrigued - want to see what this is "Added Localisation for the RailDriver functionality" - our own keys maybe? That would be nice, or is language localisation for the prompts?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  47. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Oh, you might be right when I think about it.

My first guess was like "there are typos in the translation and that's why buttons don't work at all". I remember something with the "Alert"-Button not functionioning because of a similar error

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. paul.pavlinovich

I think wording change is more likely but a guy can hope can't he? ;)

• Like Like x 3
  49. dhekelian

Wish the list included the GWE and feel let down by DTG but at least other RD support is being added.

• Like Like x 2
  50. Crosstie

I'll be happy to see these additions. I was wanting to play some German routes yesterday and I was amazed and disappointed at how many services I could not play with Raildriver. There are other routes that have limited RD playability and I'm a little skeptical about that 80% figure mentioned on the stream. Does anyone have an accurate count of the number or percentage of RD playable locos in the game as of today?

• Like Like x 2