Playing With Headphones On The Xbox (series X)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by trinity#2970, Aug 11, 2021.

1. trinity#2970

trinity#2970 Member

I really like the sounds of TSW2 and they help with the immersion. What I don't like is playing with headphones the sounds go from left to right and back when moving around or playing with cameras. Offcourse if a train is on your right side then the sounds should be from the right. But the way its done now is the left side mutes completely so your listening to a more mono sound. This effect makes sounds go from left to right and back which is not the best effect and should be more stereo. I also play flight simulator and if you move there the sounds also switch sides depending where you look but you always hear a more stereo sound.
    What do you think about this? I don't think there is much to do to improve this right? (I play mostly with headphones and I think pc and playstation users have the same thing).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

What kind of headphones do you use? I have the Steelseries Arctis 7x and for the most part sounds fade across from one ear to the other when I turn my head ingame.

3. Princess Entrapta

My main problem with headphones on XBox is that they make the popping that keeps happening in the poor quality audio of the XBox version more noticeable. :/

4. Maik Goltz

Maik Goltz Well-Known Member

It is not that easy as you may think. This is a spatialization problem and has to do with the placement of sound. If we would set it so that it does not cancel completely out at one side, when you are not sitting withing the audio source radius, it would massively start doing the phasing efffekt that you would like less than the actual results.

And please don't compare with a hundred-million-budget tile like FS.

• Like Like x 1
  5. trinity#2970

trinity#2970 Member

Thanks for your reply, I was afraid it was it bit more complicated then expected. I will not compare TSW2 with FS :) But if improvements can be made to audio then off course i'll be a big fan of it.

6. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

We were told in the stream we should not expect any changes to audio on XB Series consoles. A missed opportunity I’d say, as the sound quality is not great with headphones. Apart from the occasional popping, the overall audio quality is pretty poor compared to other platforms. This is most noticeable with introduction voiceovers and external loco sounds, where you hear a ringing noise as if the audio consisted of low bitrate mp3 files.

7. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

How have other developers addressed this issue in Unreal Engine for Xbox? The main issue is sounds getting stuck, where the player has to do their own fix by changing camera to external or working out what sound has become stuck (if engine at full power audio then take off power).

8. Princess Entrapta

To be perfectly blunt, a lot of them, even major "AAA" studios, simply haven't. Lost count of the number of games where audio gets stuck looping and needs reloading of a save to fix.

9. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

I've heard the pops and crackles in audio of other Xbox Unreal games (Bus Simulator). I don't recall anything where the sound gets stuck. Though there has been games where one part of the audio completely stops working like music or certain sound effects.

10. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

I believe it also has to do with the way the Xbox One compresses the sound files as well.

Though I believe the new consoles don't do the same thing so it may become a thing of the past once next gen versions come out.

But not 100% sure. We will see next week.

11. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

Having only just watched the stream where Matt talks about the audio on Xbox consoles, he mentions that he hadn't actually heard the problem himself yet, and that he thought the overall audio in general sounded quite good, however within literally seconds of starting a scenario on East Coastway, I was greeted with the horrific audio popping off.

12. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

But remember Matt has been playing Next Gen on the Series X and S and with the 4.26 update. Both of which are not out to us yet.

13. Princess Entrapta

Also when the latest stream began showing off the Series X version, we were greeted immediately with the popping right on the platform :D

• Like Like x 1