This Is Odd

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by JJTimothy, Aug 10, 2021.

1. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

This website stopped working on my iPad yesterday. The site's obviously working and the iPad connects through the same router as my PC but Safari's just not having it- "can't establish a secure connection".

Any ideas?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

That's super weird. I'm having the same issue with a different (non-DTG) website where Chrome says the site (which I trust) is not secure, and that the cert expired a few days ago. I know you said Safari but is something like that happening with you? And I think we're using different internet providers, different operating systems, and different browsers.

3. JJTimothy

Yep.

I suspect that Apple has decided I've had my iPad long enough and it's about time I gave them some more money by buying a new one- there are a few things I haven't been able to update or install recently because, "your device does not suppor this application" (including every alternative browser I tried to get). Well I have no intention of buying any of Apple's overrated tech'/fashion accessories, I wouldn't have this iPad if I hadn't been given it, but I have taken to using it quite a lot (I've recently used it with TS mapping my progress) so it's annoying. Did something get updated in the security standards a couple of days ago?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Random Railfan

I'm not that in the loop with iOS to be honest but it sounds like your iPad is either dying or is falling victim to planned obsolescence. Is it recent or really old? If it's running an older version of iOS and you can't update that's probably to blame.

5. JJTimothy

Yes I've had it five years and change now so obviously it's almost completely useless- but only because Apple have decided it is.

6. Random Railfan

Well Apple's Apple I suppose. Other companies do the same thing. At least it's had a good run, 5 years isn't bad for a mobile device imo.

7. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Ah, the throwaway world we live in! Makes me wonder why we ever have time for old steam locomotives which still run...

• Like Like x 1
  8. JJTimothy

Meanwhile I'm making up my mind which version of Linux to try with my c. 2006 laptop....

The iPad Steam app is playing silly B's now- if it stops working for GMail it'll be lucky not to go out of a window.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. JJTimothy

...And now it's working again.

10. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Perhaps it heard your threat? :)

11. JJTimothy

Well it didn't get it from the website because it wasn't seeing the website- the PC must've warned it.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

PC... iPad... servers... all in the same union ;) :D

13. JJTimothy

And it's at it again- for a few days now. Not just this site this time- there's a site I use to look up Bible references that's doing the same thing. All while Windows and my (admittedly newer) Android 'phone are happy to oblige...

14. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’ve had this problem with several web sites on my phone. Try changing https to http. That often works.

15. JJTimothy

I've tried that just now with no joy but I'll keep it in mind for other sites. Thanks for the suggestion.