Errrm....

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by tubefan1973, Aug 10, 2021.

1. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

Hey TrainSim-Matt
    Sorry for the disturbance,
    In the stream earlier you mentioned Series X and PS5 will be running PC timetables, but I didnt hear anything about Series S, is there any difference that you could explain to us, or did you just forget to say series S!? Additionally, if the answer is 'DTG do not know' could you please keep us informed somewhere appropriate for that, maybe here, or wherever you seem fit
    Thanks,
    Tubefan

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Matt did talk about the Series S for quite a bit.

They will recieve features such as graphical improvements, and 4k (at ~30fps, instead of Series X's 4k & 60fps)

Unlike Series X/PS5 however, it won't be upgraded to just flat out using the PC Timetables.

I can't quite remember any other differences.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. tubefan1973

Is it a definitive no for the timetables or is it a possibility?

4. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

There is no firm answer with regards to timetables for the Series S. It's still in testing at the moment and we haven't determined the machines limits, there is a chance it could handle the same timetable as the Series X, but we don't want to promise that before we are sure. When we do have a definite answer, we will give you one.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  5. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

The limits and capabilities of Series S are already there to be seen so with all due respect, instead of constantly blaming/questioning the consoles wouldn't it be a far better idea consider that maybe, just maybe, the TSW2 core engine has passed it's sell by date and that is the root cause of this constant struggle to get things working correctly on consoles.

Sorry but we've all seen what Series S|X has brought to table so DTG have no last gen excuses to hide behind now..

6. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

Well the series s does have less memory than xbox one x which is the main thing they need for the big timetables. I mean even some devs said the series s is going to hamper them due to it

7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The Series S in my opinion is not a full next generation machine, given the reduced RAM. It’s sort of a middle road. I personally wouldn’t buy it, but I know there will lots of people who are unable to afford or unwilling to pay for the more expensive, more capable machine in the Series X.

8. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

They said on the stream that so far, testing has not seen problems with the timetables on Series S, because it's not just all about memory, it's also about how the console makes optimal use of what it has, but also that the QA work is ongoing and they do not want to commit to saying it will have the PC timetables before they finish testing all the routes to exhaustion, in case they find a problem later down the line which makes it impossible to bring them to Series S.

9. Princess Entrapta

I got mine because it fits in a single pocket within my backpack, whereas the Series X takes an entire compartment of it and weighs twice as much. It means I can bring my gaming anywhere I go at any time, and can continue on my Series X when I get home. There are a bunch of great use cases for it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

DTG went to lengths to explain towards the end of last night's stream what each console will and won't be doing when the summer update is released so I suggest you watch that (probably about an hour and a half in, just after the slideshow showing framerates and whether 1080 or 4k for each console)
    Matt said a few times that the S has a better CPU and GPU than the older base units, but is nowhere near the X in memory and that's the bottleneck when trying to run loads of consists in the same map tile

• Like Like x 1
  11. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

Fun Fact: last gen still exists, and still has its limits, and the majority of the console playerbase are still on the last generation.

What you are implying here is that they just let last gen go - that would be absoluetly crazy.

Last gen is going to be here for a while yet, and its limits will have to as well - so the game doesn't become Crash Sim World.

12. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

I'm not saying that at all. What I was saying is if DTG have to go thru a series of performance testing for Series S then there is a serious problem with the core engine. I have an X1X...I like my X1X...but what I'm seeing with TSW is a game that doesn't even reach the potential of my console yet alone Series X|S.

DTG need to take a look at IoW - a single line 7.5 mile stretch of track with one train, no complex signalling and operating within a very narrow visual corridor - then ask themselves that, as an absolute baseline route, is this a solid enough starting point to build upon? When you compare IoW (and never mind the fact that it's Rivet, they are using the same core engine as DTG) to anything similar within the Indie sector it's then...and only then...that you realise it's nowhere close to being a product to build upon.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2021
  13. Princess Entrapta

The problem with One X is that there's only so far that throw more RAM at the problem will get you in terms of improving game performance. It may have a faster processor than the base XBox One but it's still hamstrung by having Jaguar cores with the decade old Durango architecture. It's kind of like, to use an appropriate analogy for this forum, no matter how much bigger you make the boiler, a steam loco is never going to beat the speeds of a TGV.

• Like Like x 3
  14. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Fun fact: During early testing of MS Flight sim, X1X was somewhere towards 'medium' settings so don't ever question the performance or capability of a console that's never reached it's true potential*. Alternatively, If SMS (a team of around 30 at the time) can build a game using a heavily modified engine originally designed for X360 games and create almost 21km of Nordschlife with full dynamic weather thru four unique seasons, 15 AI vehicles, livetrack, sim physics and detailed visuals running at 60fps *on a last gen console* then given the time DTG have been faffing around with TSW why on earth is the game at this stage of development?

The problem isn't the console/s, the problem is TSW's core engine hasn't evolved with consoles in mind - it's your typical PC orientated 'faster hardware holding up an ageing game' scenario that just isn't suited to a machine that can't ever be upgraded.

(ps) ...but they built a boiler big enough to power a train to 126mph...and that was 80 years ago. After that they probably just said; "that will do, if people want something better they'll just have to wait until faster coal arrives..and we'll then test it (with no guarantees) to see if it works correctly"

*I think the only reason FS2020 didn't make it to X1X was that they discontinued the console to prioritise Series X|S.. Or in laymans terms to ensure some much needed Series X|S exclusivity without the distraction of a last gen console that could still run the game reasonably well.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2021
  15. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Thats the key Microsoft discontinued production on the Xbox One and the Xbox One X and the digital Xbox one S. So they are only producing the X1S since 2020

So devs have to build games based on those stats unfortunately. And since all Xbox One games must be able to be used on all 3 versions with no changes they can't make different versions for each edition.

So even if you have an Xbox One X you can't base that machine as the standard since they are not making them. You have to base it off of the XB1S power.

And sorry but the series X is almost 3 times as powerful then the Xbox One X. So there is no way the older consoles could ever accomplish near equal levels. There is a reason most simulators have not been released on consoles and are PC only. And the new generation closes that gap very well.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/7/16/21327330/microsoft-xbox-one-x-s-digital-edition-discontinued

https://www.techradar.com/news/xbox-series-x-vs-xbox-one-x

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. tubefan1973

Nordschlife = AMAZING, but you do have a point, DTG clearly arent unlocking the games full potential here.