Fan Noise

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rage607, Jul 29, 2021.

1. Rage607

Rage607 Member

I started playing tsw 2 on my Xbox one x a couple of days ago. The thing is, that the fan of the console goes wild, while I'm in the main menu. Since I own the one x the fan never got that loud. I actually never thought it could ramp up that much.
    No game does achieve this.
    I activated vrr on the console and also experimented with the 4k and HD options.
    Does the menu have an uncapped framerate or something?
    Did anyone else have this problem and a solution to it?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. bones.n.hombre

bones.n.hombre Active Member

Someone else posted this, as well, and they were on a series X.

Pop a report on the bugs forum.

(Edit, you already have, nice)

3. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you nailed it with an uncapped framerate in menus being the culprit.

For those not in the know, it's a common thing on higher end hardware. It happens when devs neglect to cap framerates in their games' menus and the graphics hardware attempts to push it to the utmost limit. We recently saw a batch of RTX 3090s that couldn't handle the temperatures this causes end up completely frying when people were on the main menu screen in New World.

It should be a somewhat easy fix, and I did ask a few days back if anyone from DTG could confirm if it'd be implemented in the dedicated update for the new consoles but have not heard back yet.

As an interim "fix" on Series consoles we can suspend the game in quick resume if we need to leave the game idling on the menus for a few minutes, but it's not a luxury those on One X have.

4. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

You can suspend a game on Xbox One if you are downloading something. In your download queue, there should be an option to suspend the game. I can't find this option elsewhere, though.

Most of the time I quit out if I am not coming back to the game for 10 minutes+.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rage607

Rage607 Member

I now took my Xbox apart and put some new, good thermal paste on the apu.
    Now the fan is quieter but when the game is set to 4K it still gets loud in the menu. But not as much as before.

6. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Yep, because the root cause is still software-side, cranking up the hardware to its limits in the menus.

7. Rage607

Rage607 Member

That's what I wanted to say in a not so direct way :D