Boston Local With An Attention To Detail Question: Mbta Station Platform Signs

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by wcwood92, Aug 13, 2021.

1. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

I'm a Boston local so naturally I'm gonna notice stuff. (Rest assured that the skyline around South Station is very VERY well done.)

I do want to point out one thing about the station platform signs.
    Station platform signs on the entirety of the MBTA have the color of the line on top, white on the bottom, and the station name in big white capital letters over the line color. Miscellaneous information appears in the white section below the station name. Purple is used for all commuter rail lines. Subway and light rail have other colors but they have the same setup. It's a pretty iconic part of the system.

Couple thoughts after watching the MBTA preview stream and seeing the screenshots.
    The platform signs at Back Bay and Ruggles are completely spot on.. like.. wow. I've sat on those benches.

TSW Ruggles.jpg Real Ruggles.jpg
    Real Ruggles 2.jpg

Some of the other stations on the line just have a purple sign with the station name. These look nothing like the real thing.

TSW Attleboro.jpg

Real Attleboro 2.png

With the perfection of the signs at Back Bay and Ruggles, I'm assuming the rest of the line will get the same level of detail. I'm hoping the incorrect ones are just a placeholder.
    Maybe they were still being worked on and just didn't make the dev build that was shown. Or maybe they can come as part of the update with the overhead wires.

I'm a major granter of artistic liberty, and I love the direction that this sim is taking, however I just hope a detail like this isn't going to be overlooked.

I attached some photos for reference, and I can't wait till the 19th :cool:

(in case you were wondering. INBOUND means toward Downtown Boston, OUTBOUND means away.)

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  2. pacificorca#1435

pacificorca#1435 Active Member

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this! I think I posted some more examples on a thread in the playstation section. Definitely seems crazy to me that they took the time to get the signs at Back Bay and Ruggles but didn't do the rest. With an inevitable update for the overheads hopefully DTG can get those sorted out. At a minimum I hope some of the modding community can work some magic on these signs.

As a side note I was surprised to find out that the signage at Back Bay is actually "Back Bay Station," I had always assumed it was just "Back Bay."

• Like Like x 1
  3. wcwood92

wcwood92 Well-Known Member

pacificorca#1435 yeah my chin hit the desk when I saw the Back Bay and Ruggles signs. Blue metal arch holding the sign and sometimes a bench. The southern end of the Orange Line subway, which parallels the NEC for a bit and terminates at Forest Hills, also has them.

I'd be okay with any fix just as long as they get fixed. I can't image it's difficult for DTG to change the texture.
    This game doesn't strike me as very mod friendly but modders have still managed to do texture work on other routes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

Great Post! the More reference material that can be supplied to help DTG increase authenticity the better.

• Like Like x 1