Problems With Scenario Editor -run In Time Feature-

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by kienzle87, Aug 14, 2021.

1. kienzle87

kienzle87 New Member

Hi all!
    I want to share something happened to me while creating some scenarios. I've done several scenarios some time ago, but I've come back to scenario creation these days. Have to say I've done a quick search in the forums and I haven't found this particular issue, so if that has been treated, I apologise in advance.

So, here is the thing. After setting up the players train and path, timetable and stops, and then after putting all AI and standby trains, I run a drive test to see if everything is OK. I see a couple of things that have to be fixed and come back to the editor.

In order to see better what's happening, I use the "run in time" (or whatever is its name) feature, the one on the right bottom corner where time is shown and there are some forward and back buttons. I press the "play" button, "x32" to fast forward and I see what's happening, so then I press the "back to first" button, the game start to load again all and...suprise! All trains (player's and AI) have been vanished or moved to the last point they where when time was forwarded. I see my original timing there, but trains did not come back to its position. Also, the ones who had timetabled a disaparition in a portal are not physically in the scenario now, so no possibility to move them back to its position.

Is there a way to fix that and not having to redo all the lost work again?

Thanks a lot!

2. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

I’ve done that before … you’ve probably by accident saved the scenario while running the ‘run time’ which will over write and reposition all the AI you’ve saved already from the original scheduled start / position.

I always try and save a version of the scenario every time I make a change, so have a back up.

one other thing that might be worth a try is clear the cache, but I’m guessing if the scenario been over saved it might be too late!

But unfortunately other than that, for me … it was delete and start again!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  3. kienzle87

kienzle87 New Member

I hoped not to be that...Yes, I saved the scenario while timed forward. Didn't know doing this was so bad...

Thank you very much!

4. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Personally I never use that feature (accidentally clicked it once and I was mortified). I test my scenarios by playing them. Much more long winded but I find it very helpful in terms of knowing when a human player is more likely to be at certain places for AI purposes (i.e. passing on a nearby line) and for understanding what it is like for other players if it is something aimed for the workshop.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kienzle87

kienzle87 New Member

That is how I did my earlier scenarios, but the usual outcome was that there were so many things to fix and so many test runs to do that I never finished most of my scenarios, so this time tried this feature that I thought would made things easier...

6. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

Personally when I make scenarios I break it down into small sections and do a quick beta test after each bit. If you done your first test after you think you have done everything, there are too many variables for you to fix IMO.

For example I'm currently doing a multi-part railtour from Southall to York (which I will eventually put on the Workshop). The part I'm doing at the moment is North London and Goblin route from Acton to Harringay. First I just made my train and a blocking AI service and just did a run from Acton to Gospel Oak and took note of when I passed Willesden Junction and Gospel Oak. Then when that was all good I added AI on the low levels at Willesden Junction and then added a blocking service originating from Gospel Oak. Tested again and made sure my AI additions were in the correct place at the correct time and took note of when I arrived at Harringay. Now I'm in the process of adding AI passing in the opposite direction and adding stationary stock in yards and sidings.

Sounds laborious I know but it gives a good picture and if something does go wrong I can identify immediately what went wrong (I remember years ago I'd try to make it all in one go and then multiple things would go wrong and I couldn't make heads or tails of it).