Transfer My Game Status To New Pc

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by hoagy, Aug 13, 2021.

1. hoagy

hoagy Member

My gaming PC died, and I have a replacement on the way. I still have the SSD from the old one, will I have to copy something across from that to restore my game status? Or is that status held in Steam?

(I suspect this might be already answered somewhere, but I did search and didn't find it).

Obviously I expect to re-download Steam, TSW2, and all the DLC, that's no problem. It's just that I want the new setup to know what I've done in-game in the old one.

Thanks for any help, and sorry again if this is old hat that's long been thashed out somewhere.

2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Was TSW2 on the old SSD? If so, I don't see why you'd need a new profile, or even to re-download it - or am I misunderstanding everything?

3. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Copy the \Documents\My Games\TrainSimWorld2 folder and subfolders from your old SSD to same location on the new one and it will bring across all your progress, saved liveries & saved scenarios. TSW2 does not yet support cloud saves

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  4. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

Crazy after 5 years or so that the game still doesn’t support Steam Cloud syncing, one thing that the consoles have that works great (unless you’re upgrading to PS5 lol). I was actually surprised they didn’t implement Epic Games cloud syncing for that rollout, which was another missed opportunity and would have perhaps added some justification to the pomp and ceremony (and given Steam users hope).

Mind you there are other titles out there like Transport Fever 2, which has a fairly long lineage yet no cloud sync, and to make matters worse the game saves are buried deep in the Steam Userdata folder structure. To get around that I have a batch file that runs at Windows startup and copies them to Google Drive, but it really shouldn’t be necessary in this day and age.

Props to Microsoft, who has a great cross-platform syncing solution with the MS Store; play a CP title like Forza or Flight Sim on PC for example, and your progress is automatically synced next time you load it up on Xbox, and vice-versa. The upcoming Battlefield 2042 will also purportedly sync progress between different platforms, so this seems to be the way things are moving. Could DTG perhaps harness Dovetail Live to achieve something similar?

5. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You can just transfer them to your new PC. I think if you use OneDrive, you can do this automatically. You may want to read the TSW2 Starters Guide. The locations for Game Saves and so on are discussed in this guide. Get it here:

https://www.hollandhiking.nl/traiinsimulator

6. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You can use OneDrive, which essentially is a synchronization solution NOT a full backup solution!

7. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

My Google Drive automatically backs up the My Documents folder, but the point was we shouldn’t need 3rd party tools when Steam and Epic have cloud sync built in.

8. hoagy

hoagy Member

Perfect, that's exactly the info I was looking for. Thank you.

9. hoagy

hoagy Member

I wasn't wanting to put the old drive into the new PC. It's small, old and (for an SSD) relatively slow.

10. hoagy

hoagy Member

Thanks, but given that the old machine is totally kaput, it's a bit too late to use a cloud drive service on it.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm so ignorant about Windows PCs, sadly. I use Macs for everything except gaming, so I appreciate the help.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

Things like this could happen on a Mac as well. Always make sure to have cloud backups.

12. hoagy

hoagy Member

I know they do. I have two TimeMachine backups, a Carbon Copy backup, a backup to a NAS and BackBlaze. I think that's enough :)
    The difference is on a Mac I know where to find things, I don't know where stuff is on Steam and/or Windows, hence the question.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021