4up Challenge Stream

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kobo, Aug 9, 2021.

1. kobo

kobo Active Member

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I don't know where else to put this.

I'm rather annoyed that I disqualified myself right out of the gate without even realizing it. What happened was the circuit breakers for the safety systems were turned off, and I had assumed they would be on by default. I don't remember setting anything within the settings on my system that would cause them to be off by default.

The next time the team does a 4UP challenge, I want to try to do it without disqualifying myself. Would it be possible to have all the requirements of the challenge be available in the description of the stream so this doesn't happen again? Having all safety systems enabled was not in the description to my recollection.

2. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Nothing is ever on by default, you're the engineer to your train and it is ultimately up to you to insure that your safety systems are turned on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We'll publicise the rules for the run ahead of the stream in future.

• Like Like x 4
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

5. Michael Newbury

What exactly is it that you do not like.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Michael Newbury

Sounds good Sam

7. kobo

kobo Active Member

Thanks for that Sam. Michael Newbury, your comment contradicts how the railroad I work on has their trains set up. The safety systems are always on by default, and turning them off is grounds for termination. Based on my experience, I was expecting the train to be set up the same way I am used to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

That is real life, however, not a sim. All of the safety systems are off by default with this simple explanation:
    If you don‘t know how to operate the safety systems (and thus want them off), you‘ll likely also not know how to turn them off. If you do know how to operate them, however, you‘ll likely also know how to turn them on by yourself.​
    It‘s all about making the experience as user friendly for new players as possible. All safety systems on every train are off by default in TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  9. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

no like very speechless .it's better to modify the sky box if you are so free

10. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I'd prefer the safety systems to be on by default on every train, but then I'm also fine with CTRL+enter to turn them on (not sure if there's an equivalent on consoles)
    By all means have them turned off in the tutorials but trains have safety systems in them and they should be used

11. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

The way we look at it is that if you're advanced enough a driver to be able to work with safety systems enabled, you're also capable of turning them on.

With the audience for train simulation and games being a small one we believe it is important for an interested railfan to be able to pick up the software and just go. When they're then ready to try something more advanced they can enable safety systems, the HUD and take on something more challenging and realistic.

There's zero benefit to hardened simulator fans or newcomers to making that new player experience a vertical difficulty curve.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

I would honestly prefer some setting or option that said "leave the safety systems on"... especially when it usually takes a few minutes before my brain registers I'm not getting the pings from the lights as I pass

Repeatedly pressing Q (in the UK at least) isn't the same as knowing that in the cubby on the opposite side of the train from the driver's seat are two or three switches that need to be turned to set the AWS and so on to "on"... (or do CTRL+ENT)
    Maybe I'm being pedantic on this (yet again... I have history) but surely the idea of the tutorial is to get people to be able to drive the train (and associated safety systems) and once you're "free to drive" you should be ABLE to drive

13. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

You can always plug a keyboard wired or wireless into the consoles too. Same controls work as PC.

14. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

Just watched the current challenge. I'd like to say right off that I think this was a wonderful idea and enjoy these videos very much. I remember one stream where someone talked about American train driving as being pretty much max acceleration and brake, and as an American who drives these trains exactly that way, I do appreciate Sam's open advocacy of our technique.

Ben, don't sweat opening the doors on the wrong side. It happens to everyone, I think. I just call it my Darwin Assist. Just as we can all do our part, however small, to reduce litter, global warming, etc., I consider allowing riders an opportunity to exit onto live tracks or not as my own small contribution to evolution.

I do very much like the idea someone presented of controller force feedback that goes along with the train's motion. Ideally, it would be implemented to the extent that the controller would fly out of your hands on a hard brake if you're not holding on tightly enough.

15. kobo

kobo Active Member

I apologize for my comments.