Clinchfield: Limited Power - Ai Loco Won't Move

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dgagnon720, Apr 23, 2021.

1. dgagnon720

dgagnon720 Active Member

Hi, I tried the scenario called Limited Power just before de last pacth (20/04), everything runs well until I derail somewhere, but that's my fault. After the patch, I restart the scenario from the beginning but something went wrong, the AI loco F7A that was supposed to pull a string of empty coal hopper came in, hooked to the hopper but that's it. It didn't move, so I was unable to go throught the objective located on the same track.
    Maybe there's nothing related with the patch but that's the only thing that changes between my two runs. I will try it again today, from the beginning and let you know it goes.

Thank you and Clinchfield is awesome. I hope we'll get some Dash-7 in a future expansion pack.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  2. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

FWIW, CRR never owned any Dash-7s. The only GE locos it had were seven U36C's that it later traded in on SD45s.

3. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have not had this issue and I just completed it recently without any issues such as the one you encountered.

4. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Good for you, but lots of people have had problems. The scenario does work but is very challenging. Your post is not particularly helpful at this point.

5. solicitr

From what I have read from people who are having problems, it appears that it is essential to bullseye the stopping points (with the lead car not the loco when reversing!), or else the AI loco gets confused and stops working.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Crosstie

There are quite a few helpful posts in the forum if you care to use the search function. Basically you have to follow the steps very exactly, especially when reversing.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
  7. Michael Newbury

I am sorry that my post wasn't as detailed there was never any intent not to sound helpful, as you have noted the scenario is very challenging but it can be done if you follow the instructions correctly. As pointed out by solcitir the biggest issue comes down to stopping properly on the the stop markers in order for it to trigger the next instruction. Also making sure that all you switches are aligned is also important to ensuring that you end up on the correct track.

The only real big issue that I encountered when doing this scenario was applying enough train/loco brakes to hold the train on the hill when getting out to uncouple cars.

• Like Like x 1
  8. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Well I have stopped the rear of the train at least twice now on the mark and the AI loco will advance, couple up then do nothing. So there is still a fundamental issue with this scenario.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Michael Newbury

Have you ensured the coupler of car that the AI loco couples up to is open, it's worth a look. I remember when I ran the scenario that I checked and made sure the coupler was open.

10. OldVern

Yes, that too!

11. Crosstie

Does anybody have any fresh ideas to help OldVern through this? He seems to be doing everything right. I'm beginning to wonder if there is something amiss with this scenario and it was just dumb luck that got some of us to the end.

12. OldVern

If I can drag myself away from ETS2 and my new joypad, going to give it one more try later.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

My (anecdotal) experience is that the AI loco always 'stalls' when I've restored the scenario before reaching the point at which it's supposed to do its stuff, and this has never happened to me if I simply drive all the way through from the beginning. Saving and restoring after that critical point, functions as I would expect.

14. OldVern

Well finally got it to work. After blasting up the branch at somewhat reckless speed I had enough time left to complete this part of the scenario without saving and reloading. Positioned the rear of train by the marker, cut off the cars and AI loco came in to collect.
    So it looks as if this is another case where the save game mechanism is falling flat on its face and needs sorting.

• Like Like x 5
  15. OldVern

A couple of other points to note...
    The marker defining the stop point being the rear of the train when propelling is not consistent. On the next stage of the scenario after loading the hoppers and reversing on to the relevant road, I had to get the 4th or 5th vehicle from the rear over the marker before the objective updated.
    At that point I did have to save and come off so waiting with some trepidation to see whether the rest of the scenario survives the save game process.

16. dgagnon720

dgagnon720 Active Member

I will give it a try without saving the game, thanks.

17. solicitr

I'm not quite sure what "enough time left" has to do with "saving and reloading."

18. dgagnon720

dgagnon720 Active Member

That's what I have in mind, U36C. Don't know why I wrote dash-7...

19. OldVern

To try and get there and that part of the task complete, before the wife wanted me off the computer!
    It's quite slow at the top anyway with the gradient anything from 2.5% to 3.4% but if you don't speed it's a 20 MPH crawl even before that point.

20. OldVern

Was able to finally finish the scenario last night, no further issues. The conclusion therefore has to be you must arrive at that triggered event in one sitting i.e. the F7 must finish hauling away the surplus wagons. It’s overall a nice involved scenario that even with my reckless speeding during the first section, still netted over 12k AP, if you’re into that side of things.

• Like Like x 1
  21. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

I played through this scenario this morning but I had to restart it once because I saved and reloaded before getting to the coal loading area, and it broke the AI exactly as OldVern said above. Once I played through it in one sitting, the AI loco retrieved the empty cars as expected.

By the way, this is a really fun scenario, probably one of the most enjoyable freight activities I've ever done in any train sim. I love how careful you have to be managing speed for loading coal, and I noticed that the coal definitely adds weight as it fills up each car because I needed to add a notch of throttle and adjust independent brakes as they were loaded.

• Like Like x 1
  22. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

Confirm - save load is particularly useless on this scenario, we are collecting examples of areas it isn't working at the moment so the various teams can go through and identify the common causes.

It's not as simple as one thing that isn't working e.g. "save load doesnt work" the reality is that save/load mostly *does* work as a tech feature, but the ai dispatcher isn't restoring properly, or the signals aren't saving their data completely or re-establishing the same way, or the locos aren't setting up quite right which is each down to separate disciplines to resolve and then keep working going forwards as new content is created. These are examples btw, we haven't concluded which areas have problems, there maybe more than this or less.

It's a terrible situation to be in, and one that we want to resolve of course.

Still, I wanted to give you a confirmation at least so you understand what is going on with it.

Matt.

• Like Like x 8
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

First time I tried Limited Power I made the mistake of changing the points coming in to where you have to split the consist and start loading. For some reason the default track route takes you off on to a siding and then back on to the original track, so I decided I was smarter than the game and set the first and last points to straight to avoid the "unnecessary" diversion. However, I didn't know that I had to split the consist with the tail left in that siding, which meant I then had to run all the way through up until the dead-end and then reverse back to get everything the way it should have initially been, and I believe that then screwed up the pathing or scripting of the shunting loco and locked everything up.

Second time I did everything to the letter and it worked.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I think the game save function needs a lot of rework. In many cases I have seen not all control states are fully restored. Sometimes the control is set properly, but the UI is not working. E.g. you wipers do not move, but you need to turn them off and on again. In other cases (WSR is suffering seriously from this), signal states are not set properly and you get stuck at a red signal aspect. I have also seen the the objectives are not restored (Peninsula Corridor and Cane Creek). It does not always happen, but it is annoying is you have long run and not enough time to complete it in one go.

25. Crosstie

I had my very first problem with the save/reload function yesterday on the SKA route.
    My train had locos at both ends and when I reloaded the scenario, the train would not move forward, though I could reverse. Turns out that the controls in the "rear" loco had all been reset so that it was pulling in the opposite direction. Once I corrected them, I was able to proceed normally.

26. OldVern

Appreciate your candour Matt. And of course the issue affects all the other routes, too. If it can be fixed then Timetable mode and train hopping will be a thoroughly enjoyable and going concern.

27. ShodanCat

ShodanCat Member

I do hope that save/load is given a lot more scrutiny by DTG. It's such a key part of the functionality of the game but it feels like it wasn't tested very well when it was created and has been ignored somewhat. Lots of little issues that pop up when using it (or big ones as mentioned here) that I'm sure could be properly addressed if someone was actually assigned to that task.

• Like Like x 1
  28. rollon#9891

rollon#9891 New Member

I am assuming that this was never fixed as it's now April 20 2022 and I am having these same problems! I have tried this scenario three times and can never finish past this point either. Support loco stuck at the back and doesn't do anything.

29. rollon#9891

rollon#9891 New Member

I agree. I can't get this scenario to work either

30. OldVern

Well I haven't revisited since my obvious fluke of a success as a result of speeding and it looks like DTG haven't either! Yet another fire and forget route to join the increasing legacy of broken scenarios and timetable runs.

31. rollon#9891

rollon#9891 New Member

Ya I'm a newbie to TSW and an really disappointed to find this out. It would be a fantastic sim if it weren't for this.

32. Crosstie

Back when I first ran the " Limited Power " scenario, I remarked that it was the best that I had ever played and that the author should get a bonus.
    I still think it's a great " story " of a scenario, but it's very long and challenging and I would never attempt it without saving and reloading at least a couple of times.

Although this thread is old, it highlights once again the brokenness of the save function and how frustrating and sometimes game breaking it can be.
    In the nearly two years since MP acknowledged the problem, it seems to have sunk well under the radar and most of us doubt that it will ever be fixed.

What a shame that new members, full of enthusiasm for the game, are still, after so long, frustrated and turned off by this " elephant in the room ".

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
    • Like Like x 1