Core Update For Xb1, X1x And Series X|s

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pinxtonpaws, Aug 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Given it has been previously stated as using XBox Smart Delivery then the process should simply be that the console detects the new version as soon as it is available and downloads it, deleting the previous gen version upon successful completion of the install process, then as with every XBox game, it downloads your cloud save immediately when first launched after the update. That is how the system universally works.

2. Princess Entrapta

Okay that's confusing? I assume you meant last-gen to new gen? Right now we have the backcompat last gen version, we don't have a next gen version, that's what is coming, and we can't upgrade from what we don't have yet to that same thing :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Oh gosh. Yes I did, I will edit that. Confusing myself too now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. alexjjones6024

alexjjones6024 Well-Known Member

Thank you for replying to this, I was confused also! Couldn't think of a suitable reply myself

5. Princess Entrapta

So to summarise from what Nat is saying, the Core Update is the bugfixes to the existing routes and the new engine overhaul in preparation as the backbone for the new version coming on thursday, then? With this update's improvements being playable on Series X and S for the next two days on the backcompat version, but without the benefits of the native version?

If that's the case, Thursday would in that case definitely 100% be the larger download for XBox players on the new consoles as both will be significant patches to the game, but the latter is fully downloading a native ninth gen version of the entire game including PC textures, to wholly replace the currently installed content being patched today.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  6. Princess Entrapta

so based on what Nat is saying...

For XBox One owners, today's patch is the biggie, one and done, they get the overhauled UI and bugfixes, and on Thursday they just need to buy the Season Ticket, install the DLC, and they can play Boston. Sorted.

For Series owners, after today's patch, they also have the bugfixes and UI overhaul, but they will be greeted on Thursday upon opening the game with the standard XBox "There is a new version of this game available specifically for your hardware" message with a prompt to either accept and download it or reject it and open the last gen backcompat game (I did this with A Plague Tale, as I don't like how they sacrificed draw distance for 60fps in a game that was fine at 30)

If you accept, the standard procedure is that it downloads the new version of the game in its entirety (With a prompt to stick it on your internal drive if you had it installed to an external SSD), and after the install completes it deletes the old version automatically, then when you run the game it loads up your save from last time you played and everything is good to go. Maybe buy the Season Ticket while it's busy installing, so it adds Boston to the queue immediately behind the update.

(I own a LOT of XBox games and have experienced this many, many times as Smart Delivery has rolled out updates to them for the new consoles ;) )

7. jthornalley

jthornalley Member

I was hoping that the next gen version was going to come with the update so what there wouldn't be two updates but not a big deal for me as I have 400mbps internet so should't take a lot of time but got to feel sorry for the people with slow internet.

8. alexjjones6024

Let's simplify this lol! So I am a series S user and today (17/08) I don't receive the improvement of higher graphics, larger draw distance?

9. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Xbox Series X is probably today because it’s easier as on PlayStation

10. Princess Entrapta

Not based on what Nat said, no. You get the bugfixes listed for the patch and you get the new UI. But they're still in the backcompat version with the compressed textures, low draw distance, etc. so if you plan on playing the game today or tomorrow, download today's patch. If you don't, and/or have any kind of internet usage caps, turn off auto-updates and wait until thursday to play it, since the install of the new version will contain everything you'd be downloading today and more, as a new gen version needs to wholly replace the entirety of your existing install.

11. alexjjones6024

Thank you.

I can't understand why it had been so hard for this information to be announced, especially when it was advised that the update (textures, draw distance) would be noticeable on respective consoles for Tuesday to allow 2 days before the rush hour release.

I'm sure you all appreciate how frustrating this has been...

• Like Like x 2
  12. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

That’s why Xbox get today the Next Gen update, because it’s worthless then, to have another update on Thursday for the Console changing

13. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

What people need is the logistics of the upgrades and updates

From what you're saying it looks like on TUESDAY (ie today) the summer update will release so everyone will download the core game files and the updated DLC for 4.26, but NOT in their platform specific format, only the same format as they had in 4.23 (ie PS4, Xbox old)

Then on THURSDAY the platform specific versions will be released, so those on newer consoles will redownload their entire DLC library again...

can we get that confirmed (and it would be absolutely barmy to do it that way)

• Like Like x 1
  14. A Big Chungus

A Big Chungus Active Member

This would be quite a strange way of doing it, as we would be downloading a large update today, just to Download it all again, with the increased file size of the Series X version on Thursday

• Like Like x 3
  15. Princess Entrapta

This indeed is how Nat appears to have clarified it, when previously what had been suggested implied the opposite - and yes, this would indeed be bonkers and 180 degrees removed from the standard, logical order of doing these things where you do the update which requires the full redownload FIRST.

16. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

We need to talk to Matt because he know it right without Speculation.

On Forza Horizon 4 the Series x Update was like 5 GB and you dont Need everything to redownload

17. ARuscoe

I'm not sure Matt is in charge of what gets released when. On stream they keep talking about a team that's in charge of release dates and it ain't Matt, Adam or anyone we see on camera

18. Princess Entrapta

It can often depend on if something is a genuine native 9th gen build, or if it's a "Gen9Aware" update to an existing build. The latter doesn't need to fully replace a majority of the content, it merely unlocks new stuff in the existing software to take advantage of the hardware when detected. Whereas the former requires the replacement of significant portions of the game's data, assets, etc. as usually it has higher res textures, whole new models for its lighting, completely rebuilt systems for handling the new hardware's capabilities, etc.

Most ninth gen updates on my Series X have been an eighty-something gigabyte download. Less for indie titles and the like.

19. ARuscoe

Not sure how FH4 works, but because TSW2 works via the UE engine, and in this update the UE engine is changing (so everything is rebaked) that means every file will have been changed (especially if the files are bundled like they are on PC)
    Then two days later the "super duper console versions" are released, which again will be different in a lot of ways and you download loads of stuff again

20. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

We want see today if the TSW 2 logo have the X/S or not on the picture. 01561478-BD1B-49ED-BC03-0676105DC521.jpeg

21. DTG Natster

I am not speculating - and try not to focus on what may or may not have been implied before now. Here are the facts.

Today is not a new generation update. Any updates being made are for Ps4/Xbox one. All updates for today can be found in the patch notes.

Next generation becomes available on Thursday.

On Playstation you will have to manually select to upgrade from PS4 to PS5
    How to trigger the upgrade from Xbox one to Xbox series X/S is still being looked into - it might be automatic, it might be something you have to manually select. I will clarify when I get a clear answer.

When you upgrade from PS4/Xbox one to PS5/Xbox series X/S this will trigger a second download.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  22. sdc

sdc Member

Hi Natalie,

You forgot to mention the Xbox Series S.
    I own an Xbox Series S this console is next generation as well.

Thanks
    Steven

• Like Like x 1
  23. ARuscoe

I would take it as "any gen other than the one available on UE4.23 will be released Thursday, requiring an additional download"

24. BBIAJ

BBIAJ Well-Known Member

This is trainsanity!

• Like Like x 1
  25. A Big Chungus

It is a bit, I imagine both of these download sizes are going to be quite large, and the Series X file sizes are often a good bit larger too. So to download possibly upwards of 50GB + in the span of two days for one game is quite a feat. The Series X upgrade updates are fresh installs of the game.

Still, very much looking forward to the updates, both of them. Cannot wait to finally see this game take advantage of the new hardware.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Princess Entrapta

Debunking the FH4 claim:

Copied the 8th gen Durango version of FH4 off my XBox One onto an external HD I freshly formatted for this test.

upload_2021-8-17_13-24-57.png

Inserted it into my Series S
    (This is the same popup message TSW2 owners on Series X/S will see on Thursday when they try to launch the game)

upload_2021-8-17_13-25-37.png

Once it finishes installing the ninth gen version there's another 10GB or so of patches and then it's ready to play.

upload_2021-8-17_13-32-13.png

• Like Like x 1
  27. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Terrible choice from your team to not have the Next Gen Version today to upload only once the Game. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  28. A Big Chungus

Slightly off topic, but hello there Sega Dreamcast!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. Princess Entrapta

Dreamcast, Wii, OG XBox, and you cannot see it but my 360 is on the far left of the TV shelf, with its output directly into the XBox One's HDMI-in. My Saturn, Mega Drive, and Master System are under the CRT TV on the stand to the left. This room is the one where all my previous gen consoles ascend to, gaming Valhalla.

30. A Big Chungus

Ah another Sega gamer, I have my Mega Drive CD 32x Combo, Saturn, and Dreamcast all hooked up to an old Hitachi CRT. Can't beat a bit of Sega.

• Like Like x 1
  31. ARuscoe

I'm pretty sure my step-father still has the original NES somewhere in his loft...

32. Princess Entrapta

I love how we managed to go from Ninth gen consoles all the way to Third generation consoles in a couple of posts.

33. A Big Chungus

Just shows the power of the classics. Back when games were games, no updates or patches. Just pop in the cartridge and off you go.

34. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Oof, two big downloads in one week, this is possibly pushing my data limit as I've already downloaded Flight Sim and other upgrades this week... :D

Glad I got my Series X in the nick of time though, only had to wait about 10 days after the next round of preorders kicked off!

35. Princess Entrapta

Unless you were unlucky enough to get one of the handful of games back in the day where there was a bug in the released version that literally made the game impossible to complete XD

• Like Like x 1
  36. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Ok, that makes sense - but can I confirm a couple of things:

(1) The Series S|X upgrade is 100% free even if you are NOT purchasing the Rush Hour expansion.
    (2) Visual and performance upgrades will be applied to ALL routes and not just Rush hour (and beyond).

Sorry to have to ask the questions but of late DTG aren't exactly what you would call world leaders in the FAQ transparancy department and I'd hate to think the goalposts had yet again been moved.

37. AndrewWhite96

AndrewWhite96 Member

when is this update even going live its 2pm and still nothing?

38. Princess Entrapta

upload_2021-8-17_14-7-36.png

They have confirmed this repeatedly, yes. both in streams and in writing on the FAQ on the website. It uses XBox Smart Delivery, part of using that system means that any upgrade is free to all owners of the game, as the XBox store treats it all as the same owned game and just delivers the correct version for the console you own (Any upgrade, or technically any downgrade, if say, a friend gave you their old XBox One after your Series console broke, you could still play games you bought the Series version of)

Non Smart Delivery games are actually the standout oddballs with their convoluted separate downloads, ripoff pricing, and not transferring your save progress from the base version.

Things like draw distance, texture quality, etc. are an across the board upgrade to the new console versions to bring them in line with the existing quality of their PC counterparts. That means getting the PC versions of everything that already exists.

• Like Like x 1
  39. pinxtonpaws

pinxtonpaws Guest

Forgive my pessimism but they've said many things in many streams and faq's but there's not always an element of truth to what falls out of the mouths of DTG.

40. box215

box215 Active Member

Going back on topic
    has anyone downloaded the update that's supposed to drop today?
    No sign of it for me, located on the east coast US

41. A Big Chungus

Nothing Yet here in the UK

42. Princess Entrapta

Well, you can trust MS on this one. If a game you own is using Smart Delivery, then their backend automatically gives you the dedicated version for your console. No buying separate versions for different generations.
    A couple of sleazy big publishers have made efforts to wrangle workarounds to this by charging for an "Ultimate edition" say, which replaces the core game with a new version of the same game for XBox One you need to purchase separately in order to access the Smart Delivery features on that "technically not the same game", but you can count the instances of that on one hand and they all got massive backlash.

You could potentially argue that TSW2's launch was in and of itself DTG pulling such a stunt at the time, getting people to buy a new version of TSW which would support the system, while the previous game would not. I dunno. But the point is that's the game we have now, and that's the one getting the free upgrade.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Princess Entrapta

As a side note I am REALLY glad MS did succeed, in the space of six months, in normalising the PC expectations in the console space that when you buy a game you get to keep it and benefit from what future hardware brings to it without needing to rebuy the game again.

The sheer number of games from the early 2010s that I own a 360 copy of and a separate XBox One copy of is staggering.

• Like Like x 1
  44. DTG Natster

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. Rage607

Rage607 Member

I am still confused. So the 4.26 update for Xbox One(X) is today or on Thursday? There's no mention of the version update in the notes.

EDIT: Haven't seen the post above while writing this.

46. box215

box215 Active Member

• Like Like x 1
  47. A Big Chungus

Well to be honest this is most likely the better day to do it, as Series X players will hopefully only have to download one large update, compared to two.

• Like Like x 2
  48. Princess Entrapta

Agreed, this seems to be for the best.

49. ARuscoe

Well, looks like they decided to consolidate (no surprise there)

50. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.