So No Transfer Of Profiles Ps4 To Ps5

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Thunderer, Aug 18, 2021.

1. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

That's me out then. And I have bought every DLC up to now except Cane Creek.

I got the TSW2 platinum 3 months ago, and have to start all over again when it comes to PS5? No thanks.

Very shoddy DTG. I feel let down.

• Like Like x 6
  2. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Surely if you’ve got Platinum already you can just play for fun now. There’s no starting again really, as there’s no goal in TSW. You don’t have to get Platinum again, it’s not a requisite of the game. You either like it or you don’t, and seeing that you have all the DLC you must enjoy driving the trains. It’s a never ending source of enjoyment not an exam where top marks mean anything. And just think of how much better the experience will be on PS5. Oooh, lovely trains. It may be disappointing that it doesn’t just carry on with the same profile but it’s not a reason to stop playing. Think of all the DLC that’s going to come out that you would have enjoyed.

• Like Like x 7
  3. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

stujoy you've nailed it. Trophies and progress are only a side task to TSW, the sim exists to drive trains, not to rush to an end goal and 'complete the game'. Yes, the collectables will be an absolute pain to do again but otherwise who cares? Just jump in a train and drive in glorious 4k and 60fps..

• Like Like x 3
  4. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

Agree - to all of you.
    Yes, TSW2 is a sim to enjoy driving trains and not to complete. That’s right and for sure will be better in the PS5 version.
    But, yes, if you are a trophy hunter or completionist it’s a punch right into the face, to start everything again (and again).

So, I don‘t have the platinum yet and still is many many miles away. But I want to get it. And so there is a struggle about what to do now with this problem DTG offers.

• Like Like x 1
  5. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

Actually, this will give you the opportunity to earn another plat. Surely that's a good thing if you're into trophy hunting (and let's face it, with the grind involved to get the plat in the first place, you must be).

6. erg73

erg73 Well-Known Member

Just the thought of having to win all those medals and trophies again brings a smile to my face.

• Like Like x 2
  7. ZR Leigh

ZR Leigh Member

It’s a shame that cross platform saves were so low down in players priority in the recent survey. It wouldn’t have helped us right now but would have been a way to fix the issue over time.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Thunderer

Thunderer Well-Known Member

It wasn't a grind really, it popped pretty much naturally as part of playing the game a lot.

I still don't understand why DTG can't make this happen, I thought Sony had told them how to do it. In which case why don't DTG do it, because they'd have pull people off other projects and put some resource into it?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

by the way matt talked the team tried there hardest to find a way and sort something out it just seems like it did not happen in the end

• Like Like x 2
  10. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

It was at the top of my list.

• Like Like x 2
  11. OnlyMe1909

OnlyMe1909 Well-Known Member

To be honest I ranked it pretty low down on the list. But, I regretted it after I sent in the survey, because only then did I fully realise what that meant. Imo, DTG played it a bit sneaky on this one. They worded it as Cloud saves on the survey. If they would have written 'Cross platform saves' iso 'cloud saves', I think the result would have been different.

• Like Like x 1
  12. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

I didn't really realise what that meant. Had a feeling it was if you were moving from PC to console..... not PS4 to PS5 for example

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

Yeah, same for me.
    Thought it would be a clear growing up process from PS4 to PS5 like from X1 to XSX without any problems and cut and that only cross platform was meant which is not interesting for me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

I was quite surprised that cross platform saving was low on the list. As someone who plays on PlayStation and PC, I rated it 3rd or 4th on my survey.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The issue seems to be that for both DTG and Sony the move from PS4 TSW2 to PS5 TSW2 is being handled as a completely different game, and that;s causing the problem. For the user they're the same but from the software and machine point of view they'd have different codes, files and schemes, so moving the save data between them may not be something Sony have made systems for. Certainly DTG cannot build something outside the scope Sony have allowed for!
    As Matt said on stream last night, this has been a running for TSW and TS1, because their games and DLC just don't "die"... they roll on and on for various platforms this causes an issue because most games release their core, update a few times then move on. Certainly DLC seem to be "once and done" affairs, whereas TSW is updating everything time and again...

• Like Like x 1
  16. borg#1850

Have to say Windows Updates is like a DLC that you keep updating a component that is active. I have owned games where you up date the game and it keeps everything.

It just they way it had been coded, it would seem, that this was not thought about at the time.

I have said OK draw a line in the sand and make sure in the new TSW2, you can do it in future, so when TSW3 comes out , "Everything" ports over ok. That we do not at the next upgrade have to lose our hard work.

It is inherent in human nature to want to complete things, if they are there to complete. Once you have done it you do not stop playing the game, you can enjoy playing it, knowing you have completed the side game parts.

Imagine if at every upgrade of World of Warcraft, you had to start again from the beginning and lose all your achieved status and level ups!

• Like Like x 3
  17. TinTin_57

It's more of a problem I think with TSW2 also because of the constantly evolving progress.

For example, I played Maneater on PS4, then they brought out the PS5 version. I switched to PS5 version which also required a new save file separate to the PS4 save so I had to start again (chose to). Progress wise there is a beginning and end in Maneater, you know how far you are through and can make a decision on if you want to go to the PS5 version, there is a finite number of playing hours involved. TSW2 is a different beast, you have a base game and a number of DLC's......there will also be further DLC's. It's hard to put an exact figure on how long it would take to get back to where you were if you switch to PS5. Then for future DLC's you have the question of if I stay on the PS4 version how long will it be supported for and will I have to start again anyway.

There are other factors involved based on how you play TSW2. In my case, the trophy list is my guide, I am a long time Playstation player so that's the natural way for me. The trophy list guides how I play, if there is a trophy for complete 50 services on a route I'll do that, I am not one to take a new route and completely 100% everything in it before moving on (that could be a worse scenario here). Granted, I don't do the 50 services back to back but I keep it in the back of my mind and mix it up a bit. Another example, I needed to recently complete the 10,000 mile trophy so I could get the Platinum and only the 2 German high speed routes and the LGV registered the miles against that 10,000 due to a bug so I exclusively played those routes until I achieved it, some may find that a crazy idea.

Purely looking forwards I simply have to move to the PS5 version due to the longevity it will be supported, the fact that having a PS5 and not moving to the newer version is a waste of the hardware I have but I am also hoping that this 3rd restart in TSW is the last I have to do.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Kappi701

Kappi701 Active Member

For me I think I will complete RSN and Platin trophy by running LGV up and down.
    After that I will restart on PS5 with other routes that I did not play so far like Hamburg and München. :-(

• Like Like x 1
  19. kingus.uk

kingus.uk Active Member

I get the feeling TSW released on a 2 year schedule.
    Summer 2018 - TSW is released
    Summer 2019 - TSW has major update to TSW2020
    Basically the same game, progress and trophies carried over
    Summer 2020 - TSW2 is released
    New game, new trophy sets, progress restarted
    Summer 2021 - TSW2 major update
    The issue is that a native PS5 version is released also, that doesn't carry stuff over. I am assuming that if I keep on the PS4 version, progress and trophies are carried over, as it is basically the same game.

Hopefully, this means that Summer 2022 sees the next new version of TSW, and at that point I'll start playing the PS5 version, as there is a very good chance nothing will carry over, no matter what platform your on.

Just got to ignore the 4k 60fps loveliness I'm missing out on for 12 months.

or, I'm totally wrong.

• Like Like x 4
  20. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Honestly a game as time intensive as TSW2, roughly an hour or 30 mins for runs, livery creations etc, and neither Sony or DTG can come up with a joint solution whereby all the time intensive hours of achievements players have put in on the older version console cannot be automatically transferred to the newer version of a PlayStation TSW2 when moving over to it.

The more I think about it the more I think you just couldn’t make it up. This is not really meant to be a dig but those of you who are thinking about starting ALL over again? Don’t you have other things in your lives that demand hours of your attention? I certainly do which is why I won’t be playing TSW2 on a PS5 anytime soon as the situation currently stands.

I watched the very beginning of that stream on YouTube this morning just out of interest and whilst the DTG crew tried to explain the reasons for all this and tried to claim they understand players frustrations. I’m not so sure they actually do understand the seriousness of this judging by their slightly glib attitudes about it. Put it this way DTG you’ve two things that are going to happen. Players like will me will just stick toTSW2 on PS4 for as long as it’s supported waiting for any future dlc’s to drop in price in order to reflect our older console hardware value for money criteria. However when we eventually get a PS5 we might just move to a title different from the TSW franchise if one appears ( Sim Rail on PS5? )and start from scratch with a different game having an entirety different experience. If that happens in large numbers then yes it’s bye bye to a large portion of your player base and their revenue. The die hards will probably stick with you but will their custom be enough? I really can’t see too many players wanting to start time intensive TSW2 entirely from scratch just to play it on a newer version of PlayStation good as it apparently is. If they do then they can’t have much going on in their lives.

Then again I could well be wrong. :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  21. borg#1850

I very much agree with your words. TSW is just a small part of my life, let alone a small part of my railway interests. If I had more hobby time would I be spending it on TSW, the answer to that is no. Certainly even less so if I am forced to redo all my hours spent, redoing what I have already done.

• Like Like x 3
  22. ARuscoe

One would have thought it would have been considered in March when they started the rush hour development, but seems not...

I've seen two trains of thought on the "starting again" issue... Some are saying YAY, I get to do it all again, whilst others like you are going Why the hell would I wanna do that?
    Either way there is another option (especially given this only affects people who are moving from PS4 to PS5 and it's possible to keep your PS4 data unless you uninstall that version of the game... Keep the PS4 core and save games and if and when DTG and Sony find a way... transfer the progress (but then you'll lose anything in between most likely)

Either way, not the best solution by a long shot

• Like Like x 1
  23. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

Wait, what exactly are you losing? I remember the switch from TSW to TSW2, progress reset, trophies started from scratch, etc. Didn't matter, coz I would be playing TSW2 anyway and almost all the trophies just unlock naturally.

So moving to next gen version, what difference does it make. It's not as if you need to work your way to level 12 before you can access additional routes. Every bit of the game is just as accessible as before. "Oh, but I won't have bragging rights coz I'm at level 100". Trust me, you won't have bragging rights even if you retained your progress.

Maybe I just don't get it but I'll be playing the game anyway and this makes little odds.

• Like Like x 1
  24. TinTin_57

You’re right. You don’t get it. You play differently to others that’s all

• Like Like x 9
  25. ARuscoe

Some people don't want to tread old ground and see trophies etc as a measure of their progress and achievements. It's certainly a valid way of looking at it even if it's not MY way of doing so (or yours by the looks of it)

• Like Like x 4
  26. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

But surely having to put up with the trophy popping sound for trophies you earned in a previous version of a game is worth the increased draw distance, the full layers for all timetables, the better performance, the higher detailed textures, etc.

I mean, I get you might have put a lot of work into your custom liveries but, other than that, I don't see what has been lost here.

27. shhweeet#4292

What I’d be losing is the hours of my life I’ve already spent playing TSW2 the last however many months. Dunno about you much as I enjoy playing TSW2 ( And I do ) I don’t want to spend another load of hours of my rapidly declining life span achieving the same things I’ve already achieved. I have other interests and other priorities to fit into the shortening time I have left on planet earth. Might I politely suggest you get a life. No offence really intended I’m just trying to enforce my point.

• Like Like x 3
  28. ARuscoe

Some might say that those of a positive mindset would agree with you, but that there are also those who focus more on what they've LOST or what they need to "trawl through to get done again" who would definitely focus on the downside whilst expecting the upside (because they've been told for months that those upsides are happening)

Again, both sides are valid and both mindsets valid.

I mean let's put it this way, Sony designed the PS4, PS5, PS Store etc but didn't put a path in there to move between the two whilst retaining the old version. This is a failure on Sony's part to start with

• Like Like x 1
  29. shhweeet#4292

True but I do think DTG have their part to play as well. Put it this way If EA Games with all their might bought DTG out in order to get their hands on the TSW franchise they would move heaven and earth to force both Sony and themselves to find a solution in order to keep their customer base for that game.

30. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Certainly. It would be foolish not to realise that Microsoft handled this a lot smarter with more forsight than Sony.

Personally, I‘m very disappointed about the profile not carrying over. I just now realised, however, that I don‘t nearly mind it as much as other forums members. Since I technically don‘t lose anything other than statistics (never dabbled with livery designer and only a little with scenario planner), I‘m not devestated at needing to start over even though I‘d prefer to keep my profile, obviously. But I‘d never consider sticking to the PS4 version because of it.

• Like Like x 1
  31. driveshaft#6318

driveshaft#6318 New Member

We can also talk about many hours spend to create liveries, hard work completely lost for no reason.

Hello Games (No Man's Sky) and Bugbear (Wreckfest) for example can offer transfer progression but DTG can't...

• Like Like x 4
  32. ARuscoe

I think comparing the clout EA have with the clout DTG have is a bit off... Certainly if EA pulled every title they had off PS Store Sony would notice. Could we say the same for DTG? I doubt it

Well the respondent above isn't hit by this either given they play on PS4 and will not be changing version... this only affects those moving from PS4 to PS5 versions of TSW2 is my understanding, and they play on PS4

33. shhweeet#4292

But many will.

I dunno how representative I am of players of TSW2 (Maybe I’m in the minority? But I don’t think I am ) I’m not a train anorak but have a healthy general passing interest in trains and railways in general. I play TSW2 for fun and to experience virtual driving of trains. Whilst I’m doing that I like to achieve my best performance hence why I like getting gold medals because it gives me a goal in return for the hours I’ve spent playing TSW2 and a sense of achievement. PS4 graphics and game play is perfectly adequate overall and in general for my enjoyment of TSW2. A faster load time slightly sharper and smoother graphics, draw distance, and a few more passengers and AI trains running about etc, etc, sure as hell isn’t going to be a deal breaker in making me want to the spend hours of my life re achieving what I already have just to play the game on a PS5. How boring and tedious that would be to me.

• Like Like x 3
  34. ARuscoe

You're not losing your save game... Only those moving from PS4 to PS5 are (is my understanding)

35. shhweeet#4292

But that’s the point. EA Games are as big and as powerful as they are for a reason it’s not off to use them as an example because what they do is recognise a quality franchise in a particular market ( TSW2) swoop in, and make lots of money by maximising their profits by keeping their players interested / happy despite their own faults.

EA Games get a lot of stick from gamers but they are successful for a reason. They know the games market inside out and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if they end up making a bid for DTG that DTG wouldn’t be able to turn down. I’d feel sorry for those DTG staff who would lose their jobs though and those left would be made to produce quality work.

That’s the reality

• Like Like x 1
  36. ARuscoe

Yeah, they make OK games that sell well and bought up a load of licenses for sports games back when making sports games was much smaller than it is now. EA don't exactly have the best reputation in computer or games circles, but when they have the right logos for MLB, NBA, NFL and FIFA that's what people will buy.

I know what you're saying but I would imagine that the block here is NOT DTG and is mroe likely that Sony haven't done the work their end and no matter what DTG have done in the last few weeks it probably should have started a lot sooner. BUT hopefully it means that "next time round" (and there is very likely to be a next time) things like this won't be as impactful

37. borg#1850

Hear, Hear, whole heartedly agree with your sentiments. Though are we showing our advancing ages, over the young ones, who see life going on and on forever for them;) I wonder if they will say the same thing when they get to advancing ages and a game company plays the same tricks on the then. Maybe they will look back and realise things

What we are saying is When and IF we buy a PS5, we lose everything. Just hoping that tomorrows updates do not break anything.

• Like Like x 2
  38. ARuscoe

What you're saying is that when you upgrade to a PS5 and download the PS5 version you lose the progress you made in the PS4 version (which is still available)

Normally this would be the case anyhow and I don't remember it being such an issue in moving from a PS3 to a PS4 (there was no moving from a PS2 to a PS3 if I remember correctly), so this is definitely a first world, 21st century "problem", even if I can understand the frustration.
    Luckily, if you're on a PS4 today and will still be on a PS4 tomorrow, this doesn't affect you anyway! (P A R T Y!)

• Like Like x 1
  39. shhweeet#4292

They make games that people want to spend their money and time on to play and buy which is what it’s all about. I agree EA Games don’t have the best of reputation and they have more clout than DTG but let’s assume they did buy DTG so they could get their hands on TSW2 and other DTG titles. I think we both know both Sony and EA Games would find a solution to this transfer problem. EA Games would find it unacceptable that players might not stick with them, quite possibly stay with an older version of a game on an older console, and not spend their money on full price dlc’s I would expect the constant dlc sales to maybe? stop though.

Honestly DTG as they currently are look ripe for a buy out / take over by someone.

• Like Like x 1
  40. ARuscoe

Let's look at this...
    TSW2 fair enough
    Fishing games? Even DTG keep changing them and I don't know the competition but from the forum titles there's been about five revisions in four years
    The only other DTG title is Train Simulator... which was started by Microsoft and then sold to Kuju who got bought out by DTG... So it seems the simulation model for trains has been tried and tested by the big boys who couldn't make it work. Don't see why EA would bother especially as they don't seem to have a simulation market outside of the Sims...

Either way. I don't know why you're going on with this when you aren't even affected by the issue in the first place given we had a three days discourse about your playing on PS4. If you want to talk about the issue moving to PS5, fine but I see no benefit to talking about someone taking over DTG

41. shhweeet#4292

Yay! ;)

And we will be stressing less than a PS5 user. :cool::D

• Like Like x 1
  42. ARuscoe

And playing your game, with full save history even if with slightly more rubbish graphics and a few shadow glitches...
    But at least you won't need to go through all those "Welcome to Train Sim World" tutorials whenever you load a route! :cool:

43. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

As I mentioned on another thread, TSW/TSW2 has been the game I've put more hours into than any other game for the last couple of years. I have every DLC and play them depending on what my mood is. I might fancy a bit of freight so do RSN. Some high speed, maybe GWE. Passengers - try Cathcart circle. I've never once thought - you know, I've got the trophies for TVL or NTP so I'll never visit those routes again. Coz I play TSW for the enjoyment of driving a train (radical thought, I know), something I'm unlikely to ever do in real life.

Now, I would never be as infantile or insulting to suggest that peeps who play TSW should get a life, even just to emphasise a point but you do you and I'll continue playing TSW, even though it achieves nothing more than my enjoyment and satisfaction.

44. shhweeet#4292

TSW is getting a good reputation despite its faults so yes EA Games and others will be taking notice

It will affect me if I do get a PS5 and a solution isn’t sourced so yes I could / might be affected. even if I’m currently not.

Why the hell shouldn't I discuss the likes off EA? it’s very relevant to the wider issue, this is a message board for discussion. Who are you? The conversation / topic content police. You sound like someone who doesn’t like it when someone challenges you with points of their own. Here’s an idea if you don’t like it don’t read it and don’t reply to it. Pretty simple really don’t you think.

Btw what are the railways like in North Korea?

Are you affected? I’ve got the impression your a PC player. Feel free to correct me if I’ve got that wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  45. shhweeet#4292

The PS4 graphics and game play is perfectly fine for my current needs thats the point!!!!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  46. shhweeet#4292

Oh for crying out loud! stop being so flaky and bloody sensitive. I put that last part so you wouldn’t be. It’s your life and if you want to do the same old thing for the rest of it you crack on pal.

I still think you need to get a life though! ;) ( Notice the wink emoji)

Edit… Anyway I’d better drop out of this thread because no doubt the DTG peeps will close it or cancel me once again. Sheeesh!

• Like Like x 2
  47. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

Look, I get when you reach level 42, you get the train with wings so you can fly about routes and see your house, and then when you get to level 87, your train can time travel back to the old west and you get to hold up banks and stage coaches. For me, though, TSW is about driving trains and, when I'm playing it, I drive trains. And whilst it holds my interest, I'll continue to do that same old thing, leaving the adventuring to others. (Is this where I insert a wink emoji? ;))

• Like Like x 1
  48. shhweeet#4292

Good man! You do have a sense of humour after all :):D

• Like Like x 1
  49. manticor225

manticor225 Well-Known Member

Well I finally was able to order a PS5 which I pick up tomorrow, but it looks like I will be sticking with the PS4 version for the foreseeable future. As I've said before, for me personally it's not about the profile progress, it's about the custom liveries. I've put in way too much time on those to let them go.

• Like Like x 1
  50. driveshaft#6318

driveshaft#6318 New Member

We can also talk about many hours spend to create liveries, hard work completely lost for no reason.

Hello Games (No Man's Sky) and Bugbear (Wreckfest) for example can offer transfer progression but DTG can't...

• Like Like x 2