Warning- Ps5 Framerate Is Absolutely Awful

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by DXR8002, Aug 19, 2021.

1. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

So after last night's drama finally got it all installed, and I'm sorry to say the game runs at sub 25fps mostly, the frame rate is so bad is nausea inducing. I've been through all the menus and there is no option for performance mode to enhance frame rate, it is simply terrible. Performance on the PS4 version is miles better.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Which route?

On Boston I did notice it was at 30-40 frames but when I got out of Boston it picked up to 50 - 60 again, on my approach into Providence it did drop back to below 40 frames but I never noticed it dip below 30.

3. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Hate to agree but Köln, external camera while just doing the intro… seems very very sluggish. No KB to confirm the frame rate but it didn’t look great.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I just ran a short service on SEHS with the FPS counter on and I was getting 59/60 most times.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DXR8002

On Boston and Koln, all services I've run have been terrible, nowhere near 60fps. Sluggish, janky and stuttering. Such a shame, frame rate should always be prioritized over resolution but ps5 didn't get that choice.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

I Saw in yesterday stream that in HMA was 30 FPS some times...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. Jono the Tiger

Jono the Tiger New Member

Hi, first timer posting to this forum, so thanks for your patience.

Could be nothing, but could be something. I noticed when I was downloading the Boston route to my PS5 it showed I was downloading the PS4 version not the PS5 version (screenshot attached).

Wondered if this is what is causing the frame rate issue?

I can’t see how to select the PS5 version of the Boston route from the PlayStation store. It is automatically downloading this ‘PS4’ named file every time.

Attached Files:

8. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Getting 60+ frames on Series X

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Lion-Face

Lion-Face Member

I've only had a quick run on Bakerloo, Sand patch and Tees Valley, all ran buttery smooth on my PS5.

• Like Like x 2
  10. DXR8002

It must just be isolated to the 2 routes I tried then.

11. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

Yeah, as others have said, routes like SEHS run great, a pretty much solid 60 fps. Others aren't as good though. Bit of optimisation work required, I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

It’s a train sim, not an FPS. koln is a resource heavy station. Even running on a high spec pc (granted everything is maxed) I’m only getting about 50fps and that still drops down in some places where the route tiles are loading in

• Like Like x 2
  13. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

Everybody knows that but stutters and pauses do break the immersion.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. chieflongshin

Agreed but they’ve been there since day 1. It’s a choice between a route with no detail where the tiles load quickly and we moan OR we have detail with occasional tile load.

incidentally I tried the epic version of tsw2 as I was interested in Koln and it’s actually a fair bit better at 32fps than old 4.23 version whereby I was dropping to 22fps

I don’t think it will ever go entirely, to put into context, my pc even on potato base level low res settings even drops off a little. It’s affected also by what else is on the line

15. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

Well, with their relatively limited resources, I don't think DTG would address performance issues on specific routes unless we point out that we'd like them addressed. SEHS, LIRR, WSR all seem to run great (ok, less going on with these routes) but others not so much. Now, it could be a general tweak here and there could rectify things but it might require something tailored to HMA, etc. PS5 should be able to load tiles quickly enough (and ok, DTG aren't really taking advantage of specific console features) so maybe something else is going on.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DXR8002

Removed by DTG Natster - watch your attitude towards other users. You are allowed to be frustrated but there is no need to take it out on other forum users.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. trainman#2504

trainman#2504 Member

This is an initial release from a smaller developer on new platforms. Things will improve over time as they tweak and optimize the game further and as they learn more about the capabilities and limitations of the new consoles. I am very much looking forward to the what the future brings on these new platforms for Train Sim World.

18. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I don’t know how PS5 manages content, but maybe it has to do certain things to the files once downloaded and this is causing a temporary FPS issue which will stabilise. The content shown by Matt last night on PS5 wasn’t struggling.

• Like Like x 1
  19. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

HMA struggled, with a few stutters, and frame rate issues. WSR ran great. I get that's pretty much an apples and pears comparison but if we don't point it out as an issue, DTG won't know to fix it.

20. SonicScott91

SonicScott91 Well-Known Member

To be fair, they’re not wrong. I tried the PS5 SKA intro and compared it to my laptop, which is more powerful than the PS5. I usually get a steady 4K 60fps on Ultra settings with my laptop but on the route intro the FPS matches that of the PS5.
    Frame drops are consistent between both platforms in the same places which would point more to game optimisation rather than your tech.

Despite that, I didn’t get anywhere near as low as 20fps on my end. It went down to about 40fps but that’s it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. chieflongshin

Well done you. I congratulate this post on demonstrating ignorance so effectively. Couple of points here. I haven’t said frame rate is not important. I’ve said it’s not an FPS where perhaps it’s more highly needed.

You get motion blur regardless. There’s a setting which may reduce it (outside of any fps concerns) further if it’s that bad. The tiles loading does contribute to fps as it pulls assets through the memory. I acknowledge too that being in a high detail area will impact fps. I was articulating that even on settings lower than ps5 it drops

To address your final constructively worded statement about high and mighty, there was none intended. It was an experiment shared with you. You’ve essentially become the post jester with such a peculiar mannered reply. These types of replies are not really needed.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2