I Cant Decide What Dlc To Buy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by arkyw, Aug 17, 2021.

1. arkyw

arkyw New Member

I want to buy a Train simulator dlc but i dont know what to buy.
    Also i heard that i cant buy bnsf stuff when im outside of the us so any suggestions?

2. ntypeman

ntypeman Well-Known Member

Depends what you want... The TS21
    world is your oyster...!!!

3. westcastlerail

westcastlerail Active Member

I was the same before I brought my first DLC.... could not decide what's best so ended up buying nothing for ages.

Eventually took the plunge and have not looked back since

I would say pick a DLC that you most like the look of, and go for it before looking at multiple purchases.

If you get on with the first one, then draw up a DLC wish list, set a budget, and then pick them up when on sale.

The thread called "latest Sale" is a very good resource, and sales happen quite often.

Cannot comment on American DLC as UK is only of interest to me - but sure you will get on well with whatever DLC you purchase!

4. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

You cannot buy BRANDED BNSF stuff outside of the USA. However, DTG have released (or re-released) some routes with un-branded trains (including UK routes too). Sometimes it's not all about the rolling stock, but IMHO, the route itself, which can be more of a buying point for me. There are ways and means of having a correctly liveried train running on the route.

• Like Like x 1
  5. trainsimplayer2020

trainsimplayer2020 Well-Known Member

I recommend the Japanese routes as they are really nice to play with the beautiful scenarios on those routes.

6. ntypeman

One piece of advice I'd offer you is to wait for a sale... I rarely pay full price for my DLC!!!

I'm sure it's a sentiment that'll be echoed by others on the forum...

Have a look at the thread "Latest Sale", it'll give you a good heads up... Gaming sites also sell bundles from time to time, Humble Bundle is one that immediately springs to mind & offers excellent value, especially if you're a newbie to TS although they only have that offer once a year... The last bundle I picked up, I paid around a tenner for and got tons of stuff, probably worth in excess of £150-£200...!!!

• Like Like x 2
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Once you have played those scenarios what do you do then?
    You cannot use the stock on another route as it is 3'6" Gauge

8. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

If you really can't decide, I'd suggest you buy routes/locos most familiar to you i.e. where you live or grew up. Helps make it a lot more immersive and then you can branch out.

Alternatively buy DLC that ties in with the routes that came with your version of TSXX.

9. trainsimplayer2020

trainsimplayer2020 Well-Known Member

I only wanted to give him an idea what to buy and each of those rotes have many scenarios so they will take some time to play.
    I have all the Japanese routes but have not yet played all the scenarios on 2 of the routes.

10. arkyw

arkyw New Member

well i dont think there are any czech dlcs
    i just asked if anybody knows a big dlc like battle for sherman hill

11. ntypeman

So what you want is a DLC with a long route length...???

12. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

There's one thing I'd recommend first and foremost if you have any interest in British content.

Great British Railway Journeys

It's standalone game that contains quite a few British routes, but if you have Train Simulator it grants you access to those versions as well, so it's effectively a fairly big and cheap addon pack. Won't go into detail on any of the routes, but I'd pretty much recommend all of them, great way to get started with modern UK ops, and even some steam ops thanks to the Settle - Carlisle route.

Beyond that here's some other routes I can think of that are good value in one way or another. Also if you click the names of any of these you'll be taken to their store pages, figure it'll save you some time searching them up.

Weardale & Teesdale Network: A 200 mile route in the BR Green era (in fact I think it's the only one set in that particular time period), which contains of bunch of rolling stock and and four locomotives. Only downside I could think of is that it doesn't contain a exceptional amount of scenarios, otherwise would highly recommend it though if you have interest in the that region and era.

Riviera Line in the Fifties: A GWR Steam route set in, well, the 50's, the route isn't especially long, about 35 miles I believe. But contains six steam locomotives which are fairly advanced for included stock. Has more advanced simulation, has some assist modes to help you learn how to drive them, and they sound excellent. Not only that but it has 15 scenarios included off the bat, so you have quite a bit to do before you have to start digging around the workshop for more. Can't recommend this enough if you're into steam era content.

North Jersey Coast & Morristown: A 100+ mile long American commuter liner, contains two locomotives, two cab cars, and their accompanying coaches, and seven scenarios for the Morristown section. Buying this also gives you the North Jersey Coast Line, which the Morristown route is a extension of. which give you another seven scenarios on the North Jersey section of the line.

Battle for Sherman Hill: You seem to be aware of this, but incase you're not it's a 60ish mile line modern American freight route. The route itself contains six locomotives, and comes with quite a few scenarios, I don't know exactly how many off the top of my head, I think about 20. Honestly wouldn't recommend much of the other content it comes with without being bundled, but since the prices are so similar between the stand alone version and this I'd recommend Battle by default.

Tried to keep the list a reasonable size, and to have routes across the spectrum, hope you find something of interest among them.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  13. arkyw

arkyw New Member

more like with a place where you can derail and more 3+ locomotives

14. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Why do you wish to derail?

15. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

He might be making reference to a fact a lot of (younger) players seem to have a fetish with creating stunts and crashes. Look at the huge following that somebody like LazerJet has on YouTube with all his crashes and races (a bit unfair as he does do some entertaining and informative stuff).

16. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

Depends on what you're into.

Suburban/Commuter with a bit of local freight services (London - Brighton, Chatham Main & Medway, South London Network, North London Lines/Goblin, Portsmouth Direct line)

Interurban/Intercity express passenger/freight - WCML Shap/Trent Valley/South/North, Liverpool-Manchester, Welsh Marches, South Wales Coastal

Long haul freight (Sherman Hill, Feather River Canyon, Hannover Sub, Granger Heartland)

High Speed (NEC, LGV, China High Speed)

Scenic (Pretty much all swiss/Austrian routes, Japan, West Highland Line, Kyle Line)

Historic (Netherfield, Both Woodhead routes, Falmouth Branch, Malmsbury Branch, Riviera 50s, Horseshoe Curve)

The choices are endless.

17. arkyw

arkyw New Member

welp its fun to derail and i can simulate real life wrecks
    i thought of buying the aurora chicago one but i didnt

18. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

There are probably better and cheaper things to buy if you just want to simulate train wrecks.

This is the virtual equivalent of making a Hornby model railway when really all you want is a Scalectrix race set...

• Like Like x 2
  19. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

You cannot simulate real life wrecks as the game shuts down with a derailment

You should get this - its for idiots that think derailing trains is fun
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/588030/Derail_Valley/

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Who cares how people enjoy the game? Judging people like this both discourages people from wanting to take part, and just makes the community look like a bunch of snobs.

Also don't like seeing Derail Valley being labeled as just some game for "idiots" either, I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it's a good game in its own right. Saying it's just about derailing trains is like saying GTA's a game about carjacking, and DOOM's a game about shooting people. It's a overly reductive and by extension inaccurate way of describing it, seeing as you're ignoring things like the job system which are just important, if not more so.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  21. UP13

UP13 Well-Known Member

People should play the game how they want. Personally I treat it like a sandbox/model railway and like creating scenarios, particularly railtour scenarios etc.

If he is into train crashes then that's fine - I'm just saying it's probably cheaper to buy something else to get that fix, particularly as this game ends as soon as there is a derailment.

22. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The Game is called Train Simulator which simulates the operation of the railways and the driving of the trains.
    If all arkyw wants to do is crash trains then he might be better getting a simulator which allows that to happen

23. arkyw

arkyw New Member

oh i just found some pretty good stuff for doing what i want nvm then
    wooden trains will do good

24. DIFFLOCK

DIFFLOCK Active Member

Indeed they will:

• Like Like x 2
  25. tft#6439

tft#6439 Well-Known Member

lazer jets the best railway youtuber in my opinion. Hopefully I can meet him in person one day.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2023
  26. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

And why did you bring up a thread from 2021, exactly?

27. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

There is no rule in all fairness in when a member can bring a thread back up like yourself i commented similar on a thread RE the class 185 but to be honest it makes sense to bring that thread back rather than create another one. At least they clearly used the search feature to find a comment that far into the forums :D:D:D:D I wonder if you would have posted the same had he said your channel was the best is it because the commenter has mentioned another youtuber ?

• Like Like x 2
  28. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

There actually is.
    Screenshot_20230131-211543_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  29. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

what does the first sentence say. let me quote it for you. "posting messages with irrelevant content for the sold purpose of keeping certain posts near the top is calling "bumping"

The commenter did not do that they answered a question RELEVANT to the topic of the thread as he was replying to a previous comment on a youtuber. If it was a problem the ACTUAL admin/mods would have dealt with the comment that was made on Monday as they have not it clearly didnt break the rules.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  30. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

What does the last 2 sentences say? Let me QUOTE IT FOR YOU.

31. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

exactly which proved my point above.

have a lovely evening.

32. dtg_jd

dtg_jd Staff Member

Hey folks. This isn't necrobumping, as the OP is engaging with others in the chat based on what has been mentioned previously. It doesn't matter if that thread is from a while back. Some players will check the forums less regularly than others. Please be conscientious of other players, and let's try to make this as welcoming a place as we can.

There is no need to comment on the thread - if you're concerned someone might be necrobumping, please just report it. By commenting again, if it is necrobumping you're just pushing it back to the top of the pile. Blacknred81 Cyclone

• Like Like x 5
  33. 390001

390001 Well-Known Member

Thank you JD