Fps On Native Ps5 Version

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Shwing, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

Hi folks.

I've only managed to test out a few routes / trains on the new native PS5 code, but like others have mentioned on this forum the FPS seems noticeably lower than when we were running the PS4 code (in 4K) on PS5 via backwards compatibility.
    Bit shocked tbh.
    Will this be improved via normal optimisation over time, or can you include an option to lower resolution (maybe offer a dynamic res if that's not what we have at present).
    I know there's more happening on screen now as well as behind the scenes, but ultimately it's the graphics we see, and they definitely don't seem as smooth as they were.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Good work?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

Yes, 'good work' in general. All game releases these days have teething problems (ideally they shouldn't, but alas that's the reality), that doesn't detract from the fact that overall a lot of time & effort has been put into creating the game / DLC in the first place.
    Obviously how things are handled post launch will be the true test which is why I'm encouraging them to 'keep up' the good work.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

Well i dont have that low standart...
    You are asking optimization for Ps5...WOW

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  5. guardupfront

guardupfront Active Member

Mine seems to be fine, issue may be at your end rather than with the product

6. Dinger75

Dinger75 Well-Known Member

Just playing this now and the fps is all over the place (on most of the routes tried so far)

This along with the save game fiasco screams that DTG paid little to no attention on this version.

So sorry but if anyone is thinking about buying this on PS5, I would give it a very wide berth

• Like Like x 3
  7. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

Whilst the frame route on some routes could be better, the increased graphical fidelity, the better draw distance, the distinct decrease in scenery pop-ins, the fantastic reduction in load times more than make up for this. On foot, I've seen it hit as low as 28-29 FPS but even the likes of HMA are a minimum of 42-43 fps, hardly a deal breaker, especially when most of the routes I've played do pretty much stick to 58-60 fps.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

I can’t say I’m surprised. The PS4 version of TSW2 performed great on PS5 because the better hardware added headroom above the PS4 graphics settings. Now the headroom is gone because the PS5 version is pushing its own improved graphics settings. Maybe DTG’s optimization work will improve FPS going forward, but the silky smooth days of running the PS4 version on PS5 are problably lost.

Personally I think TSW2 looks perfectly adequate on PS4 in 4K mode. Maybe we can start a petition to have a performance mode (FPS priority) on the new consoles, sacrificing the enhanced graphics somewhat in favor of faster frames?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
  9. FallenAngel00me

FallenAngel00me Well-Known Member

Playing Boston providence on my ps5 and framerate is smooth

10. nitraxfox#6791

nitraxfox#6791 New Member

I've noticed this too, especially on the introduction to the Köln-Aachen line, feels like dips to the high 20s - low 30s. The main problem with this is it reduces your analogue stick sensitivity whenever it happens - camera controls feel notably slower in areas of low performance.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

12. Doyden

Doyden Active Member

I have to say that I've been loving the PS5 version today. I've completed services on Bakerloo, the full SPG and just finished an evening run on NTP. Each of the above were very smooth for me. Okay NTP had a little hitching here and there but not as noticeable as it used to be on my PS4 Pro.

Each time I turned on the FPS counter it was showing a solid 60 and on occasion, high 50s. The only slow down I've noticed was at Köln station during the ICE intro when I first launched the game after installation.

The increased graphical fidelity, draw distance, high res textures are like night and day for me in comparison to the PS4 Pro. The colours seem better, it's more atmospheric. The hills in the setting sun just now on NTP looked amazing! Fences and trackside details generally draw in better then before although I did see some last minute popin on NTP in one segment.

The shadows are significantly better although you can still if course see a bright patch of track further down the line which descends into darkness as you move towards it.

The additions to the control scheme are great. I still have my keyboard connected but barely need to use it now.

I now actually have passengers waiting for me on stations! It makes all the difference.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the PS5 version. If DTG do decide to further optimise, I hope it's an option to switch between performance and quality rather than simply deciding actually equivalent to PC high isn't cutting it so let's drop it to medium. I'd hate to sacrifice the quality I've been seeing all day in the pursuit of extra frames. I should say that I'm only outputting to a 1080p TV but as I understand it, TSW still renders internally at 4k so can't imagine this would explain why I'm seeing 60fps and others aren't. Perhaps I'll notice a lower frame rate on other routes when I get to them.

I appreciate others are understandably unhappy. I'm just giving my opinion on what I've seen today. DTG have had a..... challenging day I'd imagine, but I at least would like to thank them for the free PS5 update. I hope to go on to utilise more of the console's capabilities, especially haptics and the triggers.

• Helpful Helpful x 1