New Ui Is So Ugly

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by George C. Barnes, Aug 19, 2021.

?

Which version of UI is better?

Poll closed Sep 19, 2021.
  1. Previous one (Old)

107 vote(s)
    81.7%
  2. Current one (New)

24 vote(s)
    18.3%
  1. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

How could your guys do such "genius" work to make the new UI looks so ugly? A thick gray solid block? Is this game UI designed in 2010?

If this game doesn't have a good UI at the beginning and someone tries to redesign that, but they failed, that is understandable.
    But it has a good-looking UI at the beginning. Why that UI has to be destroyed?
    Even, why redesigned the UI? What's the point?

Anyway, it's better to roll back to the previous UI. That one looks much better than now.
    Don't hire interns for designing UI anymore, please?

• Like Like x 17
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Full agreement. The UI is dramatic.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Unfortunately as bad as it is, we are most probably stuck with it for at least another year. UI overhauls only usually happen with the major summer releases if they do happen.

imo They should've stuck with the TSW2 UI...it's a step back in every conceivable way. The new map is useless, the color scheme & layout atrocious, new gradient overview screen missing key information such as current location (it only now shows major stations whereas we got waypoints beofre)

I guess we have to live with it as we have no other choice

• Like Like x 13
  4. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

This game should be thrown back to the "early access" bucket.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Whoever thought that only being able to filter the routes by train company needs locking in a Pacer toilet and never letting out! When I load up the game, my thought process tends to be, I'm going to drive a german/USA/UK route tonight! , not I am going to drive a GWR service. All they needed to do was add a country filter to the previous main menu and it would have been fine.

• Like Like x 14
  6. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

The new UI is obviously designed for consoles as the larger route selection prompts help if you’re sitting far away from the screen as you would with a TV. For PC players like me however, it's literally utter trash. Should be an option to switch back or just have the PC UI be different than the console since the larger scale prompts are not needed for PC users.

• Like Like x 5
  7. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

And i play on console and sit a fair bit back from my tv and it still isn't good looking

• Like Like x 5
  8. Fitz

Fitz Well-Known Member

I play on console and I think the new UI is terrible. It's like it's made for a touch screen interface. The whole Rush Hour project is a massive disaster imo. The only good part is the WSR and ECW route updates.

• Like Like x 12
  9. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Agree. The old UI was much better. I don't understand why change something that is really good and no one complained about. Is the new UI for users that play TSW on a mobile phone or tablet?
    And off topic the new diorama is such a step back as well. It hinders all usability as when you select the clouds, rain, snow, wind amount you could see on the environment if the effect is what you want before going in game. Well i guess we don't need to see that since only seeing the front of a loco in a shed that eats GPU like its running a 3Dmark bench is good enough.

• Like Like x 12
  10. Der Uni

Der Uni Well-Known Member

I agree with everything that is said here on this topic.
    The new UI is just awful. I want the old one back...as soon as possible DTG!!

• Like Like x 4
  11. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Abysmal UI in regards to both visuals and functionality. Nothing more, nothing less.

DTG changed a perfectly functional UI just to say *Hey, look what we’ve done for the Rush Hour launch*

• Like Like x 11
  12. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

this....

• Like Like x 3
  13. Winzarten

Winzarten Well-Known Member

The thing I still fail to understand is, why isn't the route list atleast alphabetically sorted? It's such a basic UI thing....why hasn't dovetail still managed to do it?

• Like Like x 5
  14. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure they've always sorted them newest - oldest for some reason (presumably so if you buy the new thing it's first in the list so you get in there quicker?), although being able to sort them as you wish would be nice.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

My own take, in another thread, is that there should be options to filter by country and/or train. Sometimes i just want to drive an ICE or a Class 43, and want to see what routes are available to me. I can also see an 'Off the Rails' button to immediately show all the other routes once that is pressed.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

Here is an idea, why not have a console UI and a PC UI?

• Like Like x 2
  17. tallboy7648

DTG will probably argue something along the lines of testing or that a ui should be equal

• Like Like x 4
  18. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

Here’s the thing. DTG arguably had to change the UI so people would see that Rush Hour “felt new”. To be honest, they might be right. With no UI changes, the update would have mostly been backend stuff like the new UE version along with some uplifts and bug fixes for preserved collection. I wish nothing changed with the UI personally, but it makes sense that is happened because they would’ve had a hard time advertising Rush Hour as a big change otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

They need to hire a competent UI designer.

• Like Like x 9
  20. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

It's too much and provides too little. The character diorama is silly and often even on PS5 renders incorrectly (hair through the hat) and looks absurd. I'd like to be able to see more of my routes at once.

• Like Like x 3
  21. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

I would not say he/she is incompetent, he/she most likely the UI designer did what was ask by whoever make decision higher up

• Like Like x 2
  22. tallboy7648

But it was more of an update with new routes and tweaks to the passenger system along with various bug fixes. When a game is updated, there is nothing wrong if something doesn't feel "new." TSW2 was more of an update to tsw2020 than a "new game." DTG doesn't need to always make something feel new because at the end of the day, a update is just an improvement to a game that could have new toys to play with

• Like Like x 2
  23. Glazier

Glazier Member

First step would be to hire ANY UI designer at all, as far as I remember - they had none at least half an year ago according to streams.

• Like Like x 2
  24. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I don’t think it’s designed for consoles. On my PS4 it lags so much it is terrible to use and the 3D pop up driver is the main culprit I fear.

I haven’t made it past the menu as all of my DLC have been shafted by the update but I’m interested to see what else they’ve ruined.

25. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Deju Vue - sounds exactly the same as when they changed the UI in Train Simulator back in 2015 --- any UI change is meet with disgust it seems ..

26. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

It is when its from good to bad. Imagine you own a beautiful Ferrari, you send it for maintenance and you get back a Fiat. You wouldn't be to cheerful would you?

• Like Like x 5
  27. blackytrains

blackytrains New Member

Jesus Christ, what are you so upset about? The new UI may take some getting used to, but calling the designer "incompetent" is not acceptable in my opinion. In the end, it's just the menu, as long as it does what it's supposed to do, my God, let it look like Windows '98.

• Like Like x 2
  28. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Hate the engine shed or whatever it is. It’s basically a gpu test and I cant see what the weather is. Give us an outdoor one too?

Don’t like the pause screen either (colour scheme) . There’s some useful info but the menu seems bloated . Why do I need and exit game button. I have alt and f4

• Like Like x 3
  29. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

I can't tell you how many times I keep clicking 'Exit' instead of 'Main Menu' and don't realize it until I click the 'yes' confirmation and the game exits completely.

• Like Like x 3
  30. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of the orange/grey UI, it's not the best choices. The Black/White contrast we had was much nicer imo.

However, I will say I prefer the new route selection menu. Whilst the driver is somewhat out of place, it's a better menu imo.

I'm not too bothered about a UI though.

31. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

About the orange colour - there's three stripes they always use: one blue, one orange and one red. Who's betting the next time they change the UI it'll be red?

• Like Like x 1
  32. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

The best change is not to change (in this case)

• Like Like x 2
  33. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

The thing is, the UI doesn't do what it's supposed to do. The new UI pretty much breaks all of the fundamental rules that makes a decent UI:

- Is it easy to navigate? - No, this UI is harder to navigate than the older one. Especially when it comes to using the start menu to return to the main menu...
    - Is it responsive and quick? - No, the new route selection screen is slugglish due to the pointless avatar appearing.
    - Is it consistent? - No, every screen appears different. Boxes and fonts are different sizes. Colours vary between orange, blue and the occasional pink.

If you're happy with a step backwards, then good for you, however the complaints here are more than justified, and the UI is one of the worst examples I've seen in a long, long time.

• Like Like x 13
  34. George C. Barnes

George C. Barnes Member

I paid hundreds of dollars on this game, and some incompetent designer made a "Win98 style" UI to replace the old good-looking UI. I even shouldn't be upset about it?

To quote, "Imagine you own a beautiful Ferrari, you send it for maintenance and you get back a Fiat. You wouldn't be too cheerful would you?"

• Like Like x 8
  35. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

Well Ferrari is owned by Fiat, so at least would be the same company

• Like Like x 3
  36. LeadCatcher

As I sad -- same uproar when they changed the UI in TS ... and this continues to support my statement

• Like Like x 1
  37. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

They need to hire a competent Ue4 designer

• Like Like x 2
  38. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

You’ve only to read the forums and discord chat to see that most train enthusiasts are fairly sober with a fine appreciation of detail.

Sadly the intro and general ui appears aimed at a children’s cartoon level.

The game is important, not the flashing lights, bells, whistles and marching bands.
    Just compare loading MsFs2020 with Tsw.
    The difference is huge.

• Like Like x 1
  39. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Yawn its not ugly, and to be honest I spend very little time looking at it would rather be in game and playing than gawping at the UI just to whinge about it on here.

• Like Like x 2
  40. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

You might personally like it's rather garish and user unfriendly nature, however it's a valid complaint for those that dislike it. And unless things are raised with DTG they'll never change. Feedback is always beneficial to a company. Feel free to create a thread praising the UI, I'd love to see how much feedback you get.

• Like Like x 9
  41. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

as we seem to just all pile on on this topic atm :D I will just throw my pointless 2 cents in to say i can deal with the design change overall, what i cant deal with is how poorly it performs. It reminds me of using your average in car media center controls slow, unresponsive and just not a nice experience to use. And that is key its not a nice EXPEREINCE. They questionable color theme, diorama ect can be looked past if the general navigation was smooth, transitioned well ect but even the visual feedback of what you currently have selected is poor, take the weather sliders for example how exactly do you tell what one you have selected with out giving it nudge left and right, that is just bad design plain and simple.

• Like Like x 2
  42. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Whine, whine, whine!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  43. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Glad to see your continued constructive criticism input :)

• Like Like x 11
  44. tallboy7648

Very constructive

• Like Like x 3
  45. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I don't mind the new UI I like that I can see a general view of the upcoming gradient and speed limits. I like the new main menu it shows the DlC off a bit more rather than a slightly blurry background image of one of the stations, although I have to agree with some of the other comments about the lag when scrolling through the routes.
    A country filter would be useful for those who don't know what nationalities the different operators are but as an existing player I wouldn't use it much. One thing I don't get is the black image with the out line of a loco sketched in white on the left hand side, seems a bit random. I think the new intro is pretty cool even if it is a little laggy, it doesn't affect the game in anyway and I can always skip it.
    I do think the orange looks a bit odd, it might just take some time to get used to it but I did like either the green or blue from before.
    As already said above I also don't like that the weather sliders don't highlight. For the diorama why don't you set it back to how it was in TSW 2020, where you could customise it, I also preferred the main menu to the one in TSW2 and I think it would be a good solution for the current one as it isn't too big but still shows a loco on the route.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
  46. mrcharliemiggins2.0

mrcharliemiggins2.0 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say the new UI was terrible but I also wouldn't say that it was good. I think that the concept that DTG had was a good idea, I just think that it was poorly executed. The pause screen overlay does look a bit like windows 95/98, but the new distance/gradient/speed indicator doesn't work very well. Most of the time it doesn't display stations, or your speed and in some instances (on Munich) it just stays completely flat and doesn't show the small hills (Around 0.7%). The lag is annoying and I don't like how when you select your train, its a continuous loop. It's also poorly optimised, I have a relatively high spec PC and just on the route selection my PC fans are on and relatively loud. Also, the filter, I would much rather a filter by country that company as it would be easier, and it would help newer players who don't necessarily know TOCs and what country they are from.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  47. thomastl59374

thomastl59374 Well-Known Member

I've also noticed that sometimes when the performance graph is shown at the end of a service, for some reason the speed limit red line is up to six figures and so the green line appears to be straight at the very bottom of the graph.

48. LeadCatcher

After using the new UI for a while, I’ll admit it is growing on me. Neither liked nor disliked the old one, not a great color scheme on either , but can’t get too fussed over it. I do feel it is easier to find the information I am looking for and am really glad they got rid of the mastery screen coming up after signing in. All in all it is just something I pass through to drive a service so don’t spend a lot of time contemplating it.

• Like Like x 2
  49. kenethhooper

kenethhooper New Member

I highly agree. There's nothing better than a game with a good user interface and experience, and as a designer, it's always the first thing I notice.

• Like Like x 2
  50. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

And this just got Necrobumped i think