Xbox Mbta F40 Brake Sounds Are Still Configured Like Manually Lapped Brakes

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by CrazyDash, Aug 19, 2021.

1. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

When driving the F40 on NEC, I noticed something off about the brake sounds. I found out that the brake sounds were not modified to fit auto lapped brake sounds. What this means is that when I put the brake past 'Minimum Reduction', you can hear a click, indicating the brake is in 'holding' mode. Then at about 50% brakes, another click can be heard, indicating the brakes are in the 'Lap' position. When you put the brakes to about 90% braking, another click can be heard, and you begin hearing brake noises, meaning the brakes are in 'Service' mode. If you leave the brakes between 90-100% braking, the brake hissing will keep sounding until you release the brakes to a lower setting. This means that the brakes were re-used from the F40ph-2CAT on Peninsula Corridor, and weren't modified to comply with the auto lapped brakes. Here is an example of what I mean below: (There is a timestamp)
    (Also I apologize for my terrible driving shown here lol. But this shows you exactly what I mean.) As you can see within this video, when I put the brakes into full service, the brakes continuously hiss at me until I lower the brakes to under 90%. In terms of what needs to be done, the sounds for the brakes are gonna have to be modified or re-worked.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Driver8666

Driver8666 Active Member

Yes, that is an issue. Brake pipe pressure never goes above 30psi (30-40) for me, because I have to keep it under 90%. They will have to be reworked to operate correctly.

• Like Like x 1