Mandurah Line Perth To Mandurah: Western Australia Commuter

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by driverwoods#1787, Aug 13, 2021.

1. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Hi, guys it's me Driverwoods#1787 presenting my first Australian Route the Mandurah Line. A major rail route from Downtown Perth to Mandurah via Wellard & Rockingham.
    Contents
    • Map
    • Description
    • Rolling stock
      • DLC
    • Service Pattern
    • Pictures
    • Videos
    • Final Thoughts
    Map
    [​IMG]
    Description

The Transperth Mandurah Line runs for 70.1 km (43.6 mi) the same length as the base game route Schnellfahrstrecke Köln-Aachen. Opened on December 23rd, 2007. Uses the same 25kv 50hz overhead contact system and 1.067m Cape Gauge Tracks as Queensland QR Brisbane Commuter Rail on the East Coast of Australia. Also, the entire Western Australia Cape Gauge Network including Perth Commuter Rail 1.067m tracks except for Pilbara Iron Ore Railways and the Sydney to Perth Railway which are Standard Gauge 1.435m. On the Transperth Map Mandurah Line is coloured Orange and a key feature of the Route is the Line Running on a Motorway Median Strip between Kwinana and Downtown Perth. Using the SR-2 Kwinana Freeway Corridor as planned by the Western Australia State Government in 1999. After Kwinana Station, the line uses a newly built railway corridor to its final stop at Mandurah via Wellard and Rockingham Stations. In 2023 Lakelands Station will open which is between Warnbro and Mandurah Terminal Station.
    Rolling Stock
    Transperth B Series was built from 2004-2019 and ordered for fleet and route expansion which included the Mandurah Line. Operated in 3 car sets that can be expanded to 6-12 car length. Operated out of Mandurah Depot. Heavy maintenance is Claisebrook Depot with A Series trains.
    Exterior
    [​IMG]
    Interior
    [​IMG]
    Transperth A Series

Built from 1991-1999 Operated in 2 car sets. Can be expanded to become a 4-6 car train. Due for Replacement by Transperth C Series in 2023. Operated out of Claisebrook or Mandurah Depots.
    Exterior
    [​IMG]
    Interior current after Refurbishment
    [​IMG]
    DLC
    Transperth C Series

Replacement for the 1991-1999 A Series the first electric trains in the Transperth Network Built by Alstom in their Bellvue Western Australia Factory. Service Entry is 2023 and is 6 cars with 3 doors on both sides. This arrangement is different from Transperth A & B series 2 doors on each side.
    Exterior
    [​IMG]
    Interior
    [​IMG]
    Video
    Made by Metronet Perth

Service Pattern
    From the Current Transperth Mandurah Line timetable, all stops from Perth Underground to Mandurah take 51 minutes from End to End via Wellard Rockingham and Kwinana stations. K Stopping Pattern from Perth Underground to Rockingham Takes 34 minutes from end to end. Lastly, W Stopping Pattern Takes 18 minutes from Perth Underground towards Cockburn Central.
    Pictures
    Perth Underground Starting Point of the Line Picture is by Che Xyang

[​IMG]
    Cockburn Central typical of the Motorway Median Stations on the route Picture is by Wiki Ian. The terminal of W Pattern service.
    [​IMG]
    Wellard Station open-cut design like Kwinana Station next stop north. The picture is by Shinjiman
    [​IMG]
    Mandurah Station Terminus of the Line and is home to the B series Depot. The picture is by Shinjiman
    [​IMG]

Videos

The video is by BenettBrookRailway. Run is a combined Joondalup & Mandurah Lines service via Perth Underground

Video is by mailerdiablo of A series Train in 2012 on the Mandurah Line

Video is by ThebusofdoomFsx at Wellard.
    Final Thoughts

The Transperth Mandurah Line is an Australian Route that must be added in to train simulator world 2. Since it's another Cape Gauge 1.067m route set in Australia this time the West Coast Indian Ocean Perth metro region if one wants another Brisbane Commuter Rail like 1.067m gauge action. Due to other Australian routes focusing on New South Wales Victoria and South Australia. If added to train simulator world 2 Mandurah Line will offer train simulator world 2 players a taste of Western Australia Metropolitan region commuter service. That includes rush hour service Perth underground platform to which you must continue onwards to Butler on the Joondalup Line Northern suburbs. Also at Perth Underground platforms you can also do a turn around scenario to which you operate a K Stopping Pattern from Rockingham then become a W Stopping Pattern to cockburn Central which is located on the median of State Highway 2 Kwinana Fwy. Furthermore this route includes a depot run to Mandurah for A & B series trains or the incoming C series trains due in 2023. For Adam and his team the Mandurah Line can give them experience on future-proofing a route. Since there's plans to add Lakelands Station between Warnbro and the terminal station Mandurah opened in 2007. That way they can prevent the mistakes of Rapid Transit being not future proofed. Overall this are the reasons to why Western Australia Mandurah Line must be made for train simulator world 2.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 8
  2. jamesbaby286

jamesbaby286 Well-Known Member

Excellently detailed proposal! Well linked also! The Transperth trains sure are pretty.
    It is nice to have a dedicated Perth suggestion! It's a very underrepresented place for what would still be a very popular location to feature a route. I would certainly love to see more discussion from Perth locals about the routes that are possible.

I've added it to the list of Australian proposals found here:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/australian-proposal-suggestion-master-list.41526/

• Like Like x 1
  3. driverwoods#1787

Sure is and for Perth it has the same track gauge as Brisbane Commuter Rail 1.067m Cape Gauge. Even the Mandurah Line has planned stations added those must be proofed. This one is actually connected to Joondalup Line form a north-south route from Butler down to Mandurah.

4. VGK

VGK New Member

Hey driverwoods newbie here just browsing the forums had to stop and say Hi as we're probably the only two people on here from Perth.
    It would be good to drive my own route into Perth; however, my passion is the old Thrash and Clag from the UK 80s where I grew up in Darlington. Expecting to get my new PC and TSW2 soon, so in the meantime its back to You tube for me and watch others drive.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Renfe cercanias

Renfe cercanias Active Member

Hello . How do you do to put more than 5 images? A message tells me that the maximum limit of images is 5 and I can not put more. so ... how do you do it?

6. driverwoods#1787

Make another post within the thread and for pictures it's 20 videos 5 as the limit

7. Renfe cercanias

Renfe cercanias Active Member

[QUOTE = "driverwoods # 1787, publicación: 361434, miembro: 24816"] Haz otra publicación dentro del hilo y para las fotos son 20 videos 5 como límite [/ QUOTE]

I really don't understand you. Can you explain it to me again? I do not know how to do it :(

8. Bullets_On_Parade

Bullets_On_Parade Member

The Joondalup Line would actually be quite good. The stations all have a unique architectural design along the Mitchell Freeway and would be fun to model, there are trains that terminate at Whitfords in Peak times and others that are express to Whitfords then all stops to Butler, and yet others that are all stops to Butler. This would add some interest and the terrain is a bit more undulating. The stations heading south to Mandurah are all a bit samey and the scenery would be fairy flat and uninteresting to anyone not from Perth. Although a nice part of the world in real life, I'm not sure how flat sandy plains, dry lakes and Banksia woodland would translate to a game visually if you were to implement the Mandurah line. It would look great on the Narrows Bridge with the Swan River, the city and Kings Park going by though. Max speed on the route is only 130km/h on the whole network from memory and the route is rather straight in places, but Aussie trains don't get much faster than that anyway. On hot days the trains have to slow down because the track can't take it.

One tip for this route to make it better, you need to give people more of a purpose and to make it stand out. There are already several routes out there that would have a similar feel in terms of stopping frequency and up and back. Any ideas to make it interesting? Isn't the train depot on the Midland line at Bassendean? What about the Kalgoorlie Prospector train? Could the Freight lines in the area that go to Fremantle and Kwinana refinery sneak in to the design? What if you had commuter services to Midland and well as Kalgoorlie Prospector (TransWA) and Indian Pacific through the avon valley?

For info, the Joondalup/Mandurah corridor is linked and uses the same trains going up and down the line all day. There's a fair bit of straight running. I think the trains go between Midland and Fremantle all day too. Thornlie and Armadale turn around at Perth above ground station as far as I know. If you had to cut down the size of the route the Armidale and Thornlie lines would actually give the greatest variety and you have Optus Stadium on that route as a special event station. Taking football/cricket supporters to/from matches would be fun. Transperth doesn't really have a timetable when there is a big game on and just throws as many trains on the line as will fit. Seems like one every 5 mins in those situations. But how good would an express service from Optus stadium to Leederville station then all stops to Butler be? It's a bit of an unusual service to do this normally but something they do when the footy is on. There's a cool cab video on youtube showing it.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cd1990

Cd1990 Active Member

Also from Perth, definitely keen for this idea as it's my regular train line! :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. driverwoods#1787

Sure is and in my family only my mum's uses sister uses Wellard her old station was Bassendean Midland Line. A$70-80 Wellard to Perth Airport fare.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  11. Speedster

Speedster Active Member

Another sandgroper here :)
    Agree with Bullets_On_Parade , it could be a bit repetitive to do All stops/K/W runs with some ECS thrown in.

What about the Eastern Railway as far as Toodyay? A little longer at 93km, but you would have the Transperth network to Midland and then the non-electrified dual gauge railway climbing out of Perth, over the Darling Scarp and into the Avon valley. Same rolling stock as Mandurah for the electrified section, but you could also have DMU (Transwa Avonlink/Prospector as far as Toodyay) and freight to/from Midland/Bellevue (either NR class or CBH class locos). Maybe even the Indian-Pacific as a DLC (especially if using NR class for freight locos)

Whilst double track the whole way there are crossing loops that would allow passenger and faster freight services to overtake slower trains. There is also the possibility for "chasing yellows" when you have the Avonlink/Prospector slotting in between commuter services.

12. paintbrushguy

paintbrushguy Well-Known Member

How nice it would be to have an Australian route.
    As it stands the only way I see this being possible is if a third party dev was established here, as it will be quite some time before one of the European devs are able to travel here with COVID uncertainty and the price of an airfare…
    Nice proposal though

• Like Like x 1
  13. driverwoods#1787

I agree and if I do end up visiting my Mum's sister who lives five to 10 minutes away from the Wellard railway station I can probably compare theirs with the actual Wellard Station. Furthermore if using scenario planner Mandurah Line trains are 6.7cm bigger than an Arosa Line train 100cm tracks while Mandurah Line trains are 106.7 track gauge still compatible with each other despite the slightly larger gauge.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022
  14. driverwoods#1787

Do you mean the route via Bassendean? That was where my Mum's sister used to live. My Mum just went to the Wellard stop on the Mandurah Line recently and the Woolies next to it. How about the Airport Line

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023