Mullan Pass: Helena - Missoula

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by LativaBoy, Jul 15, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No, it would be better on Train Simulator

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. No, not at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. LativaBoy

LativaBoy Active Member

Mullan Pass is a mountain pass in the western United States, in the Rocky Mountains of Montana. It sits on the Continental Divide on the border between Powell and Lewis and Clark counties at 5,902 feet (1,799 m) above sea level. In the Helena National Forest, the pass is thirteen miles (20 km) west of Helena.

The Northern Pacific Railway (NP) used the pass for its line from Logan to Garrison via Helena, built in 1883. This line was the NP's primary freight route and was also used by their secondary passenger train, the Mainstreeter. The NP also built an alternate line over Homestake Pass, which was used by their primary passenger train, the North Coast Limited. The rail line at Mullan Pass is currently operated by Montana Rail Link along with BNSF having trackage rights; it crosses under the pass and the continental divide at 5,566 feet (1,697 m) via the 3,426-foot (0.65 mi; 1.04 km) Mullan Tunnel.

The pass was named after Lieutenant John Mullan, the U.S. Army engineer who first crossed the pass on March 22, 1854, and later supervised construction of the Mullan Road, the first road over the pass, in 1860.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Locomotive Ideas:
    SD70ACe (MRL)
    [​IMG]
    F45 (MRL) photograph copyright & courtesy of Paul Rome
    [​IMG]
    SD45-2 (MRL) photograph copyright & courtesy of Mike Rapchak Jr.
    [​IMG]

ES-44AC (BNSF)
    [​IMG]
    GP9 (MRL)
    [​IMG]
    I personally think this would be a nice route for Train Sim World or Train Simulator, I thought it would be nice to have another Montana route. I'd like to hear what you guys think about this idea for a new route.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  2. LativaBoy

LativaBoy Active Member

In 2002, Spokane Portland and Seattle number 700 pull an excursion through Mullen Pass. I thought that having this locomotive included would be a neat addition as well as introducing steam engines to TSW!

3. SantaFeOdyssey1

SantaFeOdyssey1 New Member

I believe that a route, such as Mullan Pass, should be added Train Simulator, because it would go along with the Canadian Mountain Pass and Donner Pass. Train Sim World has it's routes, but Mullan Pass is a top notch image to render. Though I think bringing Mullan Pass to Train Simulator World would be an awesome idea.

• Like Like x 1
  4. zsmonostori80

zsmonostori80 New Member

I would love to see Mullan Pass in Train Simulator 2020 rather than TSW. But, unlike DTG practice, I'd love to see the entire subdivision, from Helena to Missoula. It's roughly 110 miles. Just to compare, Marias Pass was 150 miles or so, so it should be perfectly doable.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

This sounds cool. Plus, we'd get something different: MRL. MRL has never been done in TS2020 or TSW2020.