Lessons From Tsw2 Learnt?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by marcsharp2, Aug 20, 2021.

1. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

It's fair to say that the road to Rush Hour hasn't exactly been smooth sailing for DTG or customers, DTG have now said they announced it too early, However when they did announce it they said they had learnt their lessons from the bumpy road TSW2 went down.

This is what DTG "promised" us since Rush Hour was first announced,

All routes and upgrades will be a day one release. They were wrong.

All preserved routes will be ported over on day one instead of the trickle effect for TSW2. They were wrong.

The price would be £25. They were wrong.

The core update would very likely be released on the Tuesday. They were wrong.

An update to fix the issues on PlayStation would be released yesterday. They were wrong.

Improvements for various routes were delayed, ECW and the PIS system, Bakerloo and the "Landmarks" as well as stop points, Left for a year. Still no word on the extra 200 services that was a main selling point for Bakerloo line and TSW2.

For PlayStation users the core upgrade literally broke the game. DLC's suddenly vanishing. People who have PS5's being told they will lose their progress again hasn't gone down well. Each live stream had Sam with a face like Thunder as DTG had to go on damage control as more promises were broken or delays announced.

The route released today, Boston-Providence has also been hit by issues, Only 186 services, Some are apparently missing. As a comparison GWE has over 300.

The new passengers are now walking all over the tracks.

The German route has been drastically cut back and that'll no doubt hit sales.

On the forums many people now saying they have given up with DTG, Some demanding refunds.

DTG said they had learnt their lessons with TSW2, They haven't learnt a damn thing.

• Like Like x 19
  2. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

Standing ovation.

• Like Like x 6
  3. ottselmaster

ottselmaster Well-Known Member

They've just learned to somehow squeeze even more money out of us.

• Like Like x 8
  4. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

If DTG were me, I'd have been on a damage limitation exercise from the moment the problems reared up yesterday. Firstly I'd have acknowledged them, without passing the blame. Whilst it wouldn't have solved the problems it would have gone a long way with the community and demonstrated that they do actually give a damn about their customers. And I fully accept that Nat and JD are only doing their jobs and that it is a little like shooting the messenger but ultimately they signed up to man the front line and therefore their lambs to the slaughter with this one.

• Like Like x 6
  5. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

You forgot one thing

6. marcsharp2

What was that? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  7. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

I bet when they do explain, we will just get the same old excuse. Good thing I didn't spend $40 on the season ticket. I want to wait until all three routes are out before making a decision

• Like Like x 3
  8. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

All the positives that have come from the last year . Dtg work incredibly hard to give us the dlc that we enjoy , and sometimes they make mistakes . But that’s fine ; we all do . Especially in these challenging times when certain things which dtg would normally do are restricted , that makes dlc production ever more difficult . I see so many people complain about what dtg are doing wrong , but never realising all the positive stuff that they do . I think you need to realise that as well

• Like Like x 5
  9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

DTG do good things, but they keep repeating similar mistakes time and time again. They say they learn but then a similar mistake comes up again

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. marcsharp2

I've spent hundreds of pounds on this game, I'm allowed to vent my frustration over this considering I can't actually play everything I've purchased

• Like Like x 8
  11. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

WHAT?

12. SBos

SBos Well-Known Member

What I find amazing and quite outrageous to be honest that there doesn’t appear to have been any kind of update from DTG today. The latest information on Dovetail Live about downloading your add ons is the latest information I have seen and if you do that chances are your game will then crash.

The issue has obviously not been fixed given the continuing comments on here but nothing from DTG. This is not Sony’s fault that has been mentioned by some it’s DTG’s fault for releasing an update that clearly doesn’t work.

For me I deleted the game and reinstalled and can play the 3 core games plus Boston. I will not be attempting to download any other routes until DTG say everything is working.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

I have had passengers walk over the tracks on the underground

14. Nielsen

Nielsen Well-Known Member

They’ve learnt how to keep up appearances. That much is evident when comparing the current circumstances to their lack of willingness to admit failure.

The awkwardness unfolding right now would be negligible if DTG had been upfront and took full responsibility from the moment TSW2 got bricked by the update.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Birita

Birita Well-Known Member

They Said that wouldnt happen anymore that this was the worst bug for the game....and yet here we are...UNBELIVEABLE!
    Not to say that i discovered that motion Blur STILL has to be turned off every single time!!!!
    Congratulations dovetail!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  16. morph147

morph147 Active Member

I think reading through some of this I would add my own thoughts of lessons that I hope DTG takes away from today is do not hype up expectations to a point where things will crash on you.

1) Dont release this much content at once. Pace it. Just adds more things that would be wrong. The new route should have come out after the core had been updated and running properly.

2) I am really glad that we got a core update over a Train sim world 3. I would much prefer updates this way than a brand new game. With that being said. Find out what issues you may have for each system in doing this update. Dont release it until you have this information in hand and then start setting out realistic expectations to your player base and set up a plan. Using the PS4 as an example and assuming part of the problem is Sony, then you need to be saying this a couple of weeks in advance so we are not taken off guard and think everything will be ready to go and then hurt.

3) Rethink how you may do a major update like this in the future taking into account part 2. This may have been as simple as saying ok, we know this is going to break things as we do the upgrade so ps4 players as we go through this update you may only be able to play x routes and then over the next couple of weeks we will be be slowly but surely making sure all of the dlc is there and updated. This process would have set the realistic expectations up front. Allow your consumers time to process and run with it. This may have meant that all we could play after the core update happens is the 3 core routes to make sure everything is stable and running and then start adding in the dlc in some order or something. Maybe only do 1 dlc at first so everyone can see the process that they need to do to make sure that dlc transitions properly and is in their stuff. Yes this process may have taken a couple of weeks but at least this allows for it to be shown that you are actively making sure it works but also gives the player base that feel of ok this is working I know what to do instead of uncertainty.

4) Make sure whatever and however you do it, the plan is laid out clear, coherent, and exactly what to look for and what to do so that a monkey could do it. I am going to be be blunt to say that the latest communication, I am still not 100% sure what the issue is, how to know when it is resolved, or if I should do something else. This may require a video. This may require more than a 2-3 sentence instructions with pictures. This may require you to pop in and give reassurances from your community coordinators. By not doing this, it is leading to everyone doing all kinds of weird stuff to make it work or cause the rumor mill to go crazy.

Overall I am looking forward to seeing what all of the new routes look like with the update. Lots of new features I enjoy and look forward to playing around with.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Agree. You can't make the same mistake twice. The second time you make it, it's not a mistake, it's a choice.

Right... Winchester it is, grab a pint and wait for this all to blow over....,

• Like Like x 1
  18. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

How many action points do you get if you hit them? ;):cool:

• Like Like x 2
  19. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

Mines a pint of the landlords best bitter Gilly see you in there. ;)

• Like Like x 2
  20. marcsharp2

I've decided to uninstall it until it's fully repaired, God knows then that will be, But I can imagine the German route and Brighton Mainline being delayed. DTG have just made one LOVE up after another and I've had enough.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I really don't prefer it this way. If these issues happened with TSW2, we'd still be able to play everything completely fine on TSW. But the 4.26 update is permanent. Once it's installed, it's installed for good, so any issues with the update will be unavoidable for all players, like it was with this update. This isn't the PS3, where we could manually pick how far we update our games, and uninstall updates if we wanted to. But of course, that would mean going back to a time Sony actually cared about their customers.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  22. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

There has been words about it. It won't be coming as making it work is too much effort...

• Like Like x 1
  23. kobo

kobo Active Member

I wish i could say anything to add to this, but I simply can't. Why, because all of the negative frustrations and headaches experienced by nearly everyone on this forum in trying to get TSW2 to function, regardless of platform, hasn't affected me. I have had zero issues with any part of getting this game to run.

I play on ps5, and there have been no issues from my end. Everything I have seen so far, is what DTG has said would happen. The game runs very well on nearly all routes I've tested so far, fps are consistently high nearly no lagging whatsoever. Peninsula Corridor runs the best it has ever run in my opinion, and FINALLY, no jumpy stuttering in San Francisco.

Overall, my experience with this whole problem has been positive. No issues anywhere so far. I feel for everyone else however who has been having problems, and I wish I could say I had the answer, as I did get everything working fine on my ps5, but i dont.

I do acknowledge that I'm a minority here, as I have seen very few other users saying they have gotten the game working as well. I'm so sorry to everyone else having problems. I wish I could offer any kind of comfort in this predicament, but I don't really know what I can say.

• Like Like x 2