Love The New Update

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Sheldon1000, Aug 19, 2021.

1. Sheldon1000

Sheldon1000 Well-Known Member

To bring some balance to proceedings. I updated to the PS5, Bought the season ticket, downloaded the Boston route and the core updated with not a single issue except I can't redownload GWE yet. I love the new update and the trains and stations are packed and the draw distance is a million times better.

The Boston route feels great and different and has an awesome atmosphere about it. Only thing I don't like is the new home menu screen. But I can live with it

Overall very happy with it and looking forward to the next 2 routes and hope DTG can continue improving the game like this as time goes on.

• Like Like x 18
  2. PHJ-MGF

PHJ-MGF Well-Known Member

Lucky you, maybe you should start a PS5 group then, because in this PS4 room it's a full on farcical disaster, even the core update doesn't work properly and keeps crashing into a blue screen, let's not get started on all the DLC people have bought that doesn't work, but hey thanks for the update that all is good on the PS5, knowing that is as much help as saying it works O.K. on the Xbox.

• Like Like x 5
  3. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Actually it's a PlayStation Discussion forum not a PS4 only 'room' so they're more than entitled too. Say sorry to Sheldon1000 and we'll say no more about it.

• Like Like x 12
  4. PHJ-MGF

You own the forum do you? If not take your bully boy tactics and try them somewhere else. If you do own the forum, sort your game out.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Bob12212

Bob12212 Well-Known Member

Yet it's ok for you to rant at another member, for starting PlayStation related post in a PlayStation forum.

• Like Like x 5
  6. PHJ-MGF

It's a forum, people are entitled to an opinion, they post opinions, that's how forums work. It's down as a PlayStation room, but everyone who comes here knows it refers to PS4s, that's why there are several posts about a separate PS5 room. but hey as I say everyone is entitled to an opinion, so well done for voicing yours too.

• Like Like x 2
  7. PHJ-MGF

PS if we are getting down to semantics it's "More than entitled to" not too. so PS5 or PS4, to or too, each to their own hey. but thanks for the comment.

8. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Pot, kettle, black.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

You're the only person arguing semantics, I'm arguing facts.

• Like Like x 1
  10. PHJ-MGF

You're arguing your view of what you see as the facts and that is your opinion no matter how pedantic you wish to make that, so yes it's down as a PlayStation forum, but everyone knows it refers to PS4s just as you do, but it seems you've got a bee in your bonnet about someone having an opinion and thought you'd try to act the big I am in here, as you seem to feel the need to assume you have some superiority over others here, well I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you, you don't you're just like the rest of us, one person with one opinion, you've voiced it and hey that's your right, but it holds no more weight than any other. So relax and back off, you're beginning to look a tad needy for the attention.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah loving the update too, after some initial issues (mainly DTG being unclear about what was actually happening), my only issue overall is the UI. TSW 2 looks incredible on PS5, and the approach into Boston is spectacular, it finally feels like you’re arriving into a city with all the hustle, rail infrastructure rendered in rather than only being able to see 4 gantries at a time, and the city scape itself rendering and also having good quality textures, I can’t wait to see how the BML turns out.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GothicMatt

GothicMatt Active Member

It says Playstation Discussion so that includes PS4 and PS5 are allowed to be discussed and there doesnt need to be a seperate PS5 forum channel, same as Xbox Discussion which includes Xbox One, Series X and S

• Like Like x 5
  13. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

What we are trying to say "Is" this part of the forum is for PS not Xbox PC or other consoles. Please would people post about that in the correct forum part.
    Well that's all i am asking

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

I mean if it doesn't interest you, don't read or reply to it. I appreciate the PS4 users are having an utter nightmare, but it's not all about PS4

• Like Like x 2
  15. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

In all fairness IMHO I think there does now need to be 2 separate areas for PS4 and PS5 as since the PS5 update the game is vastly different on the 2 platforms and last gen seem to have been forgotten about now the shiny new next gen version has been released, its no wonder a lot of PS4 owners are angry, however as people have said at present the forum is for both PS versions unfortunately, so yes PS5 owners are perfectly entitled to gloat.

16. Sheldon1000

Exactly. I love it.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sheldon1000

It's a playstation discussion thread. That's for PS4 AND PS5. I have posted it In the correct place regardless if most still have a PS4 and are having issues. I have a PS5 and posted my thoughts on the PS5 update. Its good, looks good, feels good and I am enjoying it. Yes I'm aware those on PS4 are having major issues but that doesn't mean us on PS5 are not allowed on the Playstation forum. That's ridiculous.

• Like Like x 6
  18. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

Whilst waiting for the other DLC to upgrade I have been playing Boston Sprinter on PS4 pro and it's a delight tbh.

Update-wise the new UI has some issues in regards to the weather settings, but overall it's slightly better than before, and whilst the new immersion controls may take a bit of getting used to, I'm seriously impressed with how much is now do-able on the controller. The field of view zoom option is a gamechanger, I have wanted this for so long, and it looks brilliant with eh ACS-64.

19. Gilly

Gilly Well-Known Member

Again. Pot, kettle, black.
    Fact: PlayStation Discussion forum. End of.
    Needy? I'm not the one writing reams of text trying to justify my existence.
    As for opinions, if they were planes then this forum would be an airport. (That's the polite way of saying it seeing as Nat doesn't like the other way)

• Like Like x 2
  20. goose#2859

goose#2859 New Member

Loving the improved draw distance and shadows on PS5. It was a bit of an immersion-breaker before so really pleased that DTG have given us this update.

• Like Like x 3
  21. ZR Leigh

ZR Leigh Member

I had a short play of Bakerloo and East Coastway earlier and also love the new update. I like the ability to scroll the itinerary (after pressing the touch panel), the improved immersion controls, the new pause menu and the length of time routes take being listed in timetable mode. I’m definitely getting the season ticket when I can!

• Like Like x 2
  22. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Well-Known Member

I'm also loving the PS5 version - I've spent almost every waking moment during two days checking out all the routes. The most surprsing one so far for me was actually a moment with GWE. I was driving one of the previously hidden routes to Greenford and had stopped at Acton Main Line. I had a quick run around the station for collectables, but when I tried to take the stairs back to my platform, I was faced with an absolute horde of people on the stairs and platform. More people than I'd ever seen in one place for any route (and probably more than the real station has seen for some time)! I tried to take a screenshot, but unfortunately, the upload failed.

In short, among all the improvements in the native PS5 app, I think the increased passenger numbers might be one of my favourites.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Sheldon1000

Absolutely agree. The passengers and draw distance for me makes it so much better. Loving it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

It's great on PS5.
    A few things I like are that the trains no longer look empty when you're driving them and it seems they've increased the clag factor on diesel units.
    I was blasting a GWE HST between Padd and Read and there was more visible clag than I remember. There was also clag on the Class 166 I overtook.

Tbh I'm not keen on the new controls for immersion and I can't seem to get the cursor to fade out.
    Also, DTL screenshots don't appear to be uploading to the profile page even though I'm signed in.

25. Ghostface1701

Oh, another nice surprise: There's now water in the bay at Bayshore in Peninsula Corridor.

It wasn't listed in the patch notes, so I assume this is just down to the increased draw distance. It still pops in late, and it's probably still missing completely in the last-gen versions, but one more reason for me to stick with the PS5 app.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Sheldon1000

It just looks clearer and sharper. Like much more realistic. Really does help make things feel real like a simulation should be. Just is so much better. And I can't wait until this generation gets better and better and DTG improves as the months go on.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Ghostface1701

The auto-hide crosshair option is in the 'Controls' settings (not in the 'Game' settings, where the other crosshair options are). Have you turned that on?

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  28. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

I really don't like the new UI, it should never have been changed. The orange is too bright to be subtle but too strong to be vibrant. The blue or even TSW2020's green was a lot better. The menus also feel incredibly clunky on PS4, and the new menu diorama is bland. The angle is worse than the old one, as you can see much less of the train. Again, the menu should never have been changed. The constant change of dioramas is also disappointing, since all of them have been a step down since TSW's depot scene. I'm also not sure what was achieved with the new menu design, the old one looked better anyway.

Some things for DTG:
    • The pause menu shouldn't be as opaque.
    • The new pause menu map is pretty much useless and incredibly ugly.
    • The control scheme screen should have been in settings, not the pause menu.
    • Holding L1 to quit and restart is clunky. It should just be in the Overview screen.
    • Change the colour back to orange, or even better, let us choose.
    • A return to the vertical menus.
    • Optimisation for menus.
    • The ability to filter by country. Filtering by operator is only useful for routes that feature a one-off operator.

29. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Appreciate the effort of some positivity around here, my original thoughts I really liked at the start are now way back on page 31 of 32 ;)

while I am reinstalling 4 and all DLC thought would have another go on the 5.

agree it looks stunning on the 5 and it’s the load times that get me each time.

however I hooked up a keyboard for the first time ever as the FPS on the 4 running on 4 hardware, the FPS was whatever it could do which is why I never even cared to know what it was running at.

running the 4 on 5 hardware. Silky smooth on all routes.

5 on 5 it’s like the 4 on 4 again and needs optimisation ASAP.

GWE now it’s working again. Amazing detail solid 60

Boston (yeah it’s new) loads up and is 30 to start, 40 idle in the cab before hitting any buttons.
    Low 30’s while selecting rear pant at the back, another train started moving so guess that didn’t help.
    As low as High 20’s, external view, leaving providence and another train coming in.

Why bother with a demanding update is my question. Fingers crossed it’s smoothed out and glorious details as a smooth stable frame rate.

30. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Thanks muchly. I wondered where that had moved to.

• Like Like x 1
  31. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I mean the 5 is running better render draw distance, extended shadow distance, double the passengers of PS5 and HD textures.

The lowest I’ve noticed is 29fps for a split second when you’re in external view approaching built up areas or large stations, the rest of the time it’s 30-40fps in busy areas, and 50-60 everywhere else, which IMO is well worth the trade.

There’s always the option of playing the PS4 version if you want less resolution for more performance, that’s the trade off ultimately.

32. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

You cannot be serious!!

get ya head out the sand buddy. It’s still screwed ;)

I’d love to and intend to carry on with the 4 for many reasons. Platinum and various DLC trophies will be the main reason. And FPS being a just behind this reason.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Ghostface1701

I just tried playing the PS4 version again, and while the reduced shadow distance always bothered me, I can't stand to look at it now. Same goes for the passenger numbers, Boston South Station just isn't the same. I think I'll take the FPS hit on the PS5 version, for the sake of all the improvements. I wouldn't want to sacrifice anything gained - they elavate the game into what it should be (and what our PC friends have always enjoyed).

• Like Like x 2
  34. goose#2859

goose#2859 New Member

I feel totally the same. On the PS4 I would rather have had the option to turn off the detailed rendering of the rails and shadows, watching them constantly pop in was so jarring. Not a problem any more!