Change The Horrible 4.26 Route Selection Ui

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by TripleJ814, Aug 20, 2021.

1. TripleJ814

TripleJ814 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This new route selection UI is absolutely horrible in my opinion. Sure maybe it's decent for consoles, but not for PC. It's especially bad when you have every route DLC like myself, it's a pain to find what you want. Not to mention it's not even that smooth when scrolling through the routes.

Also thought I'd mention the train operator logos are so inconsistent, some are oversized, some are tiny, some have transparent backgrounds, some don't.

I feel like the route selection UI needs to change that makes it good for everyone. What i suggest is use the same UI from the new mastery screen as the new route selection UI (Seen Below)

[​IMG]

The mastery UI looks really good and I believe it would work a lot better if the Route Selection UI looked like this too. It's simple, nice looking, and it's easy to find what you're looking for.

A UI change should work good for everyone, not just consoles. The grid system that the Mastery UI uses would be a major improvement to the route selection UI. Even if we could have the option to select grid or cycle that would be miles better.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 18
  2. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

No, it's not. Bad design is bad design wherever it appears and actually, you'll probably find that console users are more demanding about their UX than PC users because so much of what they do with the controller is instinctive/muscle memory.

You're absolutely right, though: the new menu is poor. The stupid driver avatars add nothing but slow the interface down and, like you say, the operator logos are all over the place, also adding nothing to the usefulness of the selection screen.

I'd definitely agree that the grid system would be an improvement. All it really needs is a clear image which represents the route at a glance (which should also be reinstated for trophy groups instead of the rubbish ones they've been using recently) and the route title. A little country flag as a location identifier might also be a nice to have, but it doesn't need to zoom on hover like the TOC logos do; just a border colour highlight to provide some visual feedback will do.

For whatever reason, the menu in TSW2 gets the fans going more aggressively than the actual gameplay, even on a PS4 Pro, so the less it has to do and less time we have to spend there the better!

• Like Like x 4
  3. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

I really like it, much better and easier to use than the last home screen, also there is a filter button which makes everything really easy to find :)

4. ADSTRAINSUK

ADSTRAINSUK Member

yes i like it better as well because i think it makes the route your trying to click on stand out more

• Like Like x 1
  5. simon_fielding

simon_fielding Well-Known Member

I like the current 4.26 menu how it is and I don’t want them to change it. They could though have an option to change the menus from ‘Cycle’ to ‘Grid’. And if it’s hard to find for you, then just use the filter. And also how do you have First Great Western on GWE?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  6. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Their using a mod (PC only) it unlocks the First livery hidden in the game files :)

7. Ant Craft

Ant Craft Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree. More customisation is great for user experience, so I'd love an option to cycle between a list (what we had before), cycle mode (what we have now), and a grid mode like what has been proposed. I can see benefits for all 3, so we shouldn't all have to be forced to have just the one option. And also, like others have said, just get rid of the avatar. It adds nothing to the UI, cutters it up unnecessarily and uses more performance than necessary for a simple menu screen. Also, it'd be nice if we could choose between the old TSW 2 UI colour scheme, and the new one which uses orange and grey waaaayyyy too much in my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

The filter option by operator is great if you like German content.
    But absolutely useless for anything else because there’s just 1 route per operator. think filter by country would be better.

• Like Like x 2