Space Taken On Drive After Update

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by pbandyopadhyay29, Aug 21, 2021.

1. pbandyopadhyay29

pbandyopadhyay29 Member

Is it just me or does it look like the game takes up a lot less space on disk after the update? My external definitely looked more full before. Sorry I don't have exact number to share. Just the blue bar showing usage was a lot lower. Anyone else see the same?

Kudos on the upgrade DTG. Very nice overall.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Not you. Those routes are at least twice, possibly even 3 times smaller than they were before the update (9-11GB was the standard). Hopefully this means downloads are smaller when they update a DLC, or at least it's quicker to install.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

A 7GB / 12 ish GB route is now around 3-5 GB. That is a massive improvement ! I wonder if DTG used compression to pack the files better or slimmed each pack by removing some files. I would guess file compression is the path. Either way kudos to DTG for doing this.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Teflon490

Teflon490 Active Member

Well compression does not always have to be a good thing - it means that files need to be uncompressed before use, which may take away useful resources needed elsewhere...I'd rather the routes to take more space on the disk, than to lose FPS over gaining a few GBs.

5. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

That doesn't seem to be happening, at least for me. Since the update I've been able to lift my FPS limit from 30 to 60 and had great results. Many routes performing 50-60 and dropping to around 40 in busy areas. The only exception seems to be Munich which runs at 40-50, and about 25-30 in Munich itself, but even that's an improvement on before, where many routes struggled to get over 35, and when they did get over 30, it kept jumping all over the place and stuttering.

I think 4.26 has better compression for the .pak files then 4.23, and I think that coupled with DTG's in-house optimisation has resulted in this reduction in size.

• Like Like x 3
  6. pbandyopadhyay29

pbandyopadhyay29 Member

Outside Munich HBF is always a struggle. I do agree it seems more stable overall. Loading times seem to be on par or maybe marginally faster than before. Could be imagining that piece. And also I'm running an SSD attached by a lightning connector so that's another layer to consider (No pun intended :D).

7. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Yes it is a very good thing when properly implemented. Modern compression algorithms + current multi core/threaded CPU's mean no performance hit as files are uncompressed really fast. Actually you gain a little speed as files are smaller and faster to retrieve from SSD/HDD.
    As negative example look at Call of Duty gigantic size of over 150 GB Vs game content Vs Cyberpunk that has a huge world and used 60 GB at launch. Compression is king

• Like Like x 1
  8. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

My installation folder size dropped from 143gb to 60gb (83gb saving) after the update. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Glazier

Glazier Member

I was using Compact before to get the comparable sizes, but now it is OK without it, seems like files are precompressed at last :)