Tsw2 - Lighting ... Yikes

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ASRGT, Aug 21, 2021.

1. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

What honestly is going on with the lighting right now.
    In Cab lighting along with world lighting has always been rather miss more than hit however its getting to the point where its almost unplayable due to how over exposed things are.

I have attached some screens that show this, sections highlighted in blue show that the area is occluded correctly ( roof ) and areas in red are lit from an unknown light source ? I can only assume it has to do with how the global light is configured but it really is horrible to look at and also affects gameplay with screens been covered in glare for no reason. The worst offender of this is any time you have cloud cover this causes the overall exposure of the scene to be extremely over lit.
    tsw2lighting.jpg
    tsw2lighting2.jpg
    Keep in mind these screenshots are taken at Ultra settings and you can see the scene overall lacks any contrast and depth and really degrades the overall presentation massively.

This is not a new issue however the fact that we have another major update and yet again these key items are not addressed is getting old. DTG Protagonist or someone at DTG can we please get some comment on if there is any plans to address this ? its been 3 years now people have raised this and its only gotten worse.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  2. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Lighting probably isn't a priority hence why it hasn't been addressed at all despite some people's complaints

3. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

That is kind of the key point.
    It about time it was addressed, each time a new DLC is released is just another item that will need to be re worked if they do ever look into the issue as i doubt the solution will be global meaning each dlc will need to be updated individually.

• Like Like x 3
  4. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

5. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think the issue is parts of the cab don't block sunlight, although in bright sunlight, wherever that be coming from (apart from directly behind or in front), I would expect a bit of glare on those computer screens.

6. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Correct the occlusion is messed up.

fanta1682002 Not exactly sure what your trying to show with the above post but if its to some how insinuate it works fine for you the video is taken at completely different weather presets. Try July Light Clouds for example.

• Like Like x 1
  7. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It’s ridiculous how DTG have made very little progress in regards to improving the lighting.

Night lighting is even worse - why is there always a blue tinge on trains and inside the cab? I want to drive the train in darkness, yet there’s always this faint blue light inside the cab. It’s very immersion breaking.

• Like Like x 6
  8. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

Try July Light Clouds for example

9. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Correct: tsw2correct_1.jpg
    Incorrect:
    20210822025642_1.jpg

Essentially once the suns location is directly above or behind the loco you wind up with the console been lit like your in a convertible, if you play late afternoon or early morning you can avoid the majority of this issue but it still stands that the way light is occluded by the cab is incorrect.

• Like Like x 5