Trackir

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by dhekelian, Jul 23, 2021.

1. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I caved in and went out and got one today. After 2 hours of both TSW2 and TS2021, I'm absolutely hooked.

So many thanks to everyone posting positive things about it, if you hadn't, I would have continued to think it was a gimmick. What was a pleasant surprise is the amount of other games it also works with. I like my car racing games as well and it also works with a lot of them. I hadn't even considered that.

Now to try and configure it a bit better. It's all a bit too sensitive at the moment so I guess I have a few hours reading and youtube study to do.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I have been trying to find the game title associated with TSW2 in the TrackIR software. The only two I find are “Dovetail Games “ and “Dovetail Train Simulator 2015”. Neither of these will auto-load my profile, so I have to manually select it each time I open the TIR software.
    TrainSim-Matt - Will a game title for TSW2 be added at some point?

• Like Like x 1
  3. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

It's a pricy bit of kit considering it's nothing much more than a Wii-mote transmitter and receiver bar!
    ...and of course the XBOX/PS variants.

Funding will have to wait for this one :(

• Like Like x 2
  4. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

If cost is an issue and you have a modern phone then do check out Smoothtrack which is a £10 app that also uses free Opentrack PC software to do almost the exact same things for a fraction of the cost!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  5. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I've been using SmoothTrack and OpenTrack together for a few days. I'm still working on the best configuration but it does work. Its probably a good way to dip your toes in the water to see if you like the tracking. It's pretty easy to set up conniethunder as CrAzZyKiLLa says. I've had good success wearing glasses and it seems to handle my facial fuzz well enough too. It's a bit challenging to get it all configured right so it tracks in a useful way and I would keep your phone charging while you're using it. The Android version uses AR Core 2 which is a battery hog.

6. Bladigan

Bladigan New Member

Do you think if TrackIR support is already enabled? My frind says it works to him but it is impossible to me.
    I open TrackIR software, launch TSW2 but nothing, TrackIR does not start working as if it do not recognize any game.

7. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

It’s working on the Epic Games version, but not the Steam version yet.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Got my TrackIR and seems to running OK. Be grateful for any settings people recommend. One question, do both LED's light up on the receiver on top of the monitor or just one?

9. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

One lights up when it detects your TrackClip, the other when you run a game that is Track IR enabled. So they should both normally be lit.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. dhekelian

Ah cool, ta. When the RH is released to the PC masses on steam will the game TSW2 appear in TrackIR's menu?

11. hostler#4361

hostler#4361 Active Member

So does ViewTracker work with TSW2?

12. dhekelian

Apparently it works if you have TSW2 from the Epic store and the Steam version will work when they release RH.

13. Redbus

Redbus Well-Known Member

I’m surprised it isn’t there in the game titles list already, but yes hopefully. I did ask Matt a few posts up, but nothing to report yet.

14. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

My bad, forgot to drop NaturalPoint a message asking them to mark it available... will do that now :)

• Helpful Helpful x 7
  15. dhekelian

I forgot to ask, will the TrackIR work with everything in the game? I mean RailDriver only works with certain stuff and after RH will not work with everything (Is their a list btw) but will TrackIR work with everything? hope so.

16. DTG Matt

Yes TrackIR is system wide.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

You may ask to support TS 2016, TS2017, TS2018, TS2019, TS2020 and TS2021 as well ... It only mentions TS2015 if I am correct ...

19. dhekelian

20. dhekelian

TrackIR just had an update, was hoping to see TSW2 listed but no or does the RH update have to drop first? Just been playing about with it and thought it was broken when I then realised the Track clip Pro was not selected, oops!

21. DTG Matt

I've emailed them but not had a response yet. I'll confirm when I do :)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  22. dhekelian

Cheers Matt. Also you said before about adjust Yaw and pitch. I can see the speed and smooth options but how do you adjust for YAW and pitch? Any more set up tips? Cheers.

23. DTG Matt

upload_2021-8-3_23-13-37.png

Bottom left - set the drop down to the one you want to modify, then move the curves. The lower the point is on the Y axis on the curve the less impact motion has at that point, the higher it is, the more it has. Here you can see the default where there is a deadzone in the middle.

If you want to increase yaw movement, just move the other points up a fair bit until you find something comforrtable.

These mappings are available on all 6 axis via the drop down.

• Helpful Helpful x 5
  24. paul.pavlinovich

To add to the correct answers you've already had, Track IR works in cab and when walking around. It doesn't work in the external or free cameras. I can see why it doesn't, but you could do some amazing tracking and panning shots if it was...

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. dhekelian

Has anyone got the wireless setup for IR? Just wanted to know how long a charge lasts? I keep getting caught in the wire or forgetting to take my headphones off (I have wireless headphones) when getting up.

26. paul.pavlinovich

Using the Android App Smooth Track which watches your face and wireless headphones I am wire free :). Except that the phone has to set in a charging cradle!

27. dhekelian

I'm trying to get used to the cable but when I sit at my PC space is a premium and getting caught in the cable is annoying. I was just wondering about the wireless setup and if it is reliable for the TrackIR.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  28. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Eesh- the price!

• Like Like x 1
  29. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

first, when I go to trackir.com, there is 3 different one, but absolutely no information about what is different from one model to the other, and second, it can not be found in Canada :-(

30. dhekelian

Although it is a risk I got mine on ebay from a nice bloke in Wales.

31. rat7_mobile

Lastime e friend of mine made a purchase on Ebay, as soon as he received the purchase, the RCMP were at the door an seezing the purchase as it was stolen good, from another country.

So Ebay = stolen good in my book

• Like Like x 1
  32. dhekelian

Yeah, as I said it is a risk. I always try to order from my country as it cuts down on this type of con.

• Like Like x 1
  33. paul.pavlinovich

I've only watched TrackIR users on video, but gut feel is the dedicated TrackIR would be better than the SmoothTrack (Android) and OpenTrack setup I'm using. That said, the setup is pretty good for the outlay of $12 I made! I can live with it for this price :).

34. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

Are you sure about that? Naturalpoint.com is the official website and under dealers I see one link to a Canadian webstore (in which the product is described too) but if you refer to naturalpoints’ three listed products it is: TrackIR 5 (includes the cap and clip you put on your head, basic and wireless and works very well in my experience), Pro clip bundle (the above plus the infrared and wired sensors that should improve the performance) and finally Pro clip alone, which is for people who already own the TrackIR 5 receiver and clip but wants to get the “active” sensor. Hope this helps.
    https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/dealers/

• Like Like x 2
  35. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I can , I just didn’t understand at first

• Like Like x 1
  36. dhekelian

Just tried TrackIR with the class 465 and was looking forward to it. Couldn't get it right, it was all over the place. kept re-aligning it to no avail it was useless. I had to turn it off and restart game, shame really but live and learn I suppose.

37. cattivo

cattivo Member

Yes, I had similar issues.

Most of the games I play, I use VR, and have done for years now (MSFS2020 and Elite Dangerous), but prior to that I had TrackIR for ED. Honestly never liked it much (for me, in VR you are moving your head around a fixed image, with TrackIR it feels as though I'm moving the background image), but thought I'd give it a try with TSW2 since I have the hardware sitting around. Probably didn't give it enough of a chance, but having aligned it in the app, when I entered the game it was looking directly left, and no amount of re-centering it worked.

The other issue is my control setup, I typically use mouse to control throttle and brakes, and keyboard when I need to (for when the physical control is out of sight and I don't want to move where I'm looking), but using a mouse to move the image of the throttle is very finicky with TrackIR as a small movement of the head moves the throttle away from the mouse cursor, so would probably need to go full keyboard, or perhaps get a controller.

38. dhekelian

I could re-centre the image and got it working looking all around but the if I needed to look down at keyboard then look up it would go all over the place, I chose the profile as well. I'm also using the RailDriver but not really feeling it, think I might try a controller as well.

39. PBrogaard

PBrogaard Active Member

First run for me after the update. Must say I'm very happy TrackIR now works with TSW2. Yes, calibration is far from there yet, have only driven half MSB and HHL, but I guess it is no different than having to spend time in other sims and games to adjust it to my needs. Biggest plus so far is that it is quite smooth for me, only lags when I do some crazy maneuver or realign while inside a wall of someting, as well as the way external camera is locked to mouse/keytboard input. Looking forward to try more. Very happy indeed, and that I say with a stiff neck.

40. cattivo

cattivo Member

I think that part of the issue is that I (we) might be too close to the sensor as that can limit how well it tilts and pans, and that's why I think in the end a controller will be the best way to play if using TrackIR as I imagine I could push my chair a foot or two back.

For now I'm back to standard flatscreen, and that's all good and I'm happy playing that way. :)

• Like Like x 1
  41. Allsop4

Allsop4 Member

The biggest issue with TIR (TrackIR) for me is the mouse look feature is still active. If mouse look was deactivated when in the cab while using TIR there would not be these re-centering problems. To make sure I am centered with TIR I first move the mouse to the best center position in the cab, then I tap F12 to center and right-click my mouse to turn off mouse look. Problem is when I use the outside views I have to turn mouse look back on to move the camera around. Sometimes I forget to right-click again when going back into the cab.

Request to have an option to disable mouse look when in the cab with TIR.

• Like Like x 1
  42. paul.pavlinovich

Using Open Track on PC and Smooth Track on Android I've gotten it working fairly well. Smooth Track watches your face so you need to set it up far enough away that it gets your whole face in view of the app while you are moving around. You also need to keep it powered - I've got it sitting on a wireless charger which is keeping up with the power usage.

43. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Well-Known Member

If cost of TrackIR is an issue, home made may be your answer.
    I made an IR head tracker for DCS which works superbly, cost 20 quid.

You need a PS3 camera and 3 IR LED’s, piece of coat hangar and a battery/wire. Lots of “how to make” videos on YouTube.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  44. cattivo

cattivo Member

Well, since I have the TrackIR device, I found a cheap ($30) controller and gave it a try.

Moving my chair back a foot or so and centering the TrackIR there made tracking in the cab smooth, in fact I'll probably increase the sensitivity a bit now as it's kind of slow looking around. Just sat back with the controller in my hands and tried a quick trip in one of the German trains, obviously takes a little while to get used to the controls, but in just that first half hour or so it seems to be working fine.

So I've left my TrackIR hardware set up and will play around with it more, see how well it works in some of the American diesels where the train brake is behind you, also the Caltrain diesel with the lap braking system.

Not keen on the controller for using the external camera, so for now at least I'll use a hybrid system and go back to KB&M for that.

• Like Like x 1
  45. dhekelian

My problem is that I have no room where my PC is located but saying that the TrackIR seems to pick up the signal well enough but in game it is just all over the place. I have selected the smooth Dovetail profile but seems too sensitive to me in certain head positions and fine in others.

46. DTG Matt

It could be that as you're close to the camera, when you look in certain directions it can no longer see the three lights (or the three reflective strips) clearly. Use the TrackIR viewer and you can see the camera IR image in real time - while that's on screen look around and see if it can always retain the three green dots representing the lights - if any of them disappear then that points to a visibility problem and you may want to adjust how it's mounted to make it more clear and suit your setup better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  47. dhekelian

The software seems to working fine. I followed an online tutorial where it said to put the TrackIR offset on top of the monitor, I have mine on the left and seems to work great in TrackIR's software and doesn't lose wherever I look, The only problems I seem to get is when I enter TSW2. I thought it would be fun in game especially how I do like VR but honestly found it unplayable at times.

48. Allsop4

Allsop4 Member

dhekelian, are you using the clip for a baseball cap or the one for a pair of headphones? I ask because each one has a setting in the TrackIR software. Also, if you are moving the mouse around to click on things in the cab while mouse look is active, things can get a bit twitchy.

49. dhekelian

I got the ones for to clip on the headphones and just bought the wireless ones as well! I did change the setting to suit as well. I didn't know know that about the mouse though, can you combat this? I'm guessing to pause the TrackIR before using the mouse? Which is a little awkward as I have my RD on top of my keyboard on a stand.

If I can't get it to work for me I'll probably sell it to someone who has more room and can get more use from it than I can.

50. rat7_mobile

A quick question for you, if I may, with TrackIR, you must be wearing a headset for it to work, even with the wireless ?