There Seems To Be A Problem With The Ai

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by The SimTrain Tube, Aug 21, 2021.

1. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

I was letting the AI drive the 17:35 service to Boston, when I noticed the AI ran a red signal.
    It did slow down and stop, but started moving again right away while the signal was still red.

At one point I could even see the AI train up ahead.

2. montes_1234

montes_1234 Well-Known Member

3. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Probably got permission to proceed at restricted speed.

4. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

A quote from Matthew Peddlesden on facebook.

"That is correct. This signal is showing a 'stop and proceed' aspect, indicated by the presence of the number board. Process is to pull up and stop and then contact dispatcher and proceed. Most reds are stop and proceed on this route, trains are allowed to run in the same section as odd as that sounds."

• Like Like x 3
  5. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

One of the main signalling challenges in this route at a technical level is that this route is predominantly "multiple train in section" and trains ARE allowed to run up right to the back of another train - when you get a "restriction" aspect or "stop and proceed" you are proceeding at no more than 20mph but there is another crucial instruction implied in there which engineers must follow "drive on sight, be prepared to stop".

Any red signal with the number board on it is a "Stop and Proceed".

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  6. w2sjw

w2sjw Active Member

Can you explain how you let the AI drive but still stayed in the driver's seat? I've only ever gotten that to work when I was in the secondman's seat...

7. pacificorca#1435

pacificorca#1435 Active Member

That's actually fascinating, I never knew that was actually the practice, although it certainly seems plausible for MBTA. Although it seems that in practice you shouldn't get particularly close to the train in front since they should be driving faster than 20 mph (at least theoretically). Have to imagine a human dispatcher also helps there providing information and rerouting to avoid those cases being necessary in the first place.

8. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

This is a situation where a proper manual might be helpful......