Boston Signalling Explanation

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Ello_bobbie, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Ello_bobbie

Ello_bobbie New Member

Evening

I’m wondering if anyone can explain the signalling on Boston in a little more detail, as it’s either not working how I would expect, or I have no idea on how it works (most likely!)

With ACSES and ATC turned on, I seem to get weird behaviour.

I see on the HUD of upcoming speed restrictions, and they normally display on the ACSES part of the cab, before the HUD picks up on them. So if I obey the ACSES, the sim thinks I’m speeding. It’s like the ACSES obeys the speed when the front of the train passes it, where the sim sees it when the rear of the train passes it?

Then sometimes the ACSES display will suddenly drop with no prior warning, and I’ve got to brake hard to prevent a brake application. Surely there should be some warning of an upcoming drop in speed? Again, the sim says I’m speeding straight away.

Reading the manual of a similar route, the “time to penalty” is your gauge on the braking curve and when to start braking. I haven’t yet seen that display anything on Boston?

Any help or reading material will be greatly appreciated! Especially on what the signals mean (green over a red, etc), as I keep seeing mention to restrict etc but it’s all aliens to me! Tried Google but it doesn’t seem to help!

thanks all

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
  2. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

You're not speeding, it's just letting you know the upcoming speed drop.
    As I understand it you're supposed to set the brakes to suppression until you're under the new speed limit.

I'm sure though someone will come along with a more detailed answer.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ello_bobbie

Ello_bobbie New Member

Thanks for your reply. That’s how I expected it to work, but I seem to remember the sim (as in not the train) acting like I was speeding.

I’ve just re-read the New York manual, and what you are saying seems to tie in. But my memory is telling me that the HUD acts as if you are speeding, turns red, and the speed restriction on the Speedo drops to the new speed straight away (then message up the top saying exceeding speed limit!). I’ll try again tomorrow and see if I’m misremembering that thought!

4. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

In the case of an increased speed limit, though ACSES will display the new speed limit, you technically still need to wait for the rear of your train to pass the point before you are allowed to accelerate.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1