Journey End For Me And That’s A Shame

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Samo1, Aug 21, 2021.

1. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

The people at DTG are a good passionate bunch of enthusiasts but as a dev team they leave a lot to be desired, their ambitions way outstretch their capabilities and they always bite off more than they can chew, there is always a tipping point and the latest roll out (I’m using PS4) with missing DLC is the final nail in the coffin, yes the DLC will come back at some point but what’s the next calamity or half baked release that will be palmed on to the preserve team for future attention because it was released to schedule and not to any quality control or respect for their loyal customers that give them hard earned cash, DTG really need to take a long hard look at what they do and how they do it, they have so much to learn but make the same mistakes time after time after time after time, it’s a real shame but that’s how they operate, every single thing they do is hit and miss, they know that and are happy with that, I’m not anymore unfortunately

I’m waiting for abuse and the usual you won’t be missed posts but deep down you know I’m right

All take care, it was all very frustrating while it lasted but now it’s over

• Like Like x 21
  2. AGoodJudge2

AGoodJudge2 Active Member

The latest fiasco would also have convinced me not to buy any more products from this bunch of cowboys. But due to the other fiascos over the last month, I'd made that decision already.

While I'm still here, a question for DTG Natster, just in case she would like to clarify an important issue once and for all as Community Manager:

On behalf of DGT, would you like to apologise for the mistakes which have inconvenienced PS4 players so much since Thursday?

• Like Like x 7
  3. ildario77

ildario77 Well-Known Member

I feel you. I own almost everything this "bunch of cowboys" (lol, love that) published since TSW2020, I accepted their unbelievable incompetence too many times, but now it's over. Of course, after this monstrous fiasco, I didn't buy the new route, and I won't buy any new DTG product. I just want to play the routes I already bought, spending A LOT OF MONEY.

• Like Like x 9
  4. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

I don't have a PC so the only Train Sim game I've access to is TSW, However like you I'm almost done with it. I've been burnt too many times before by DTG

• Like Like x 9
  5. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

I have said many times that I would only buy new content after they have gone on sale and when the preserve crew have had chance to iron out some of the inevitable launch day bugs, I wouldn’t give full money to a halfhearted release that had to fill a time slot whether it was finished or not, now even that philosophy has changed because I won’t even be buying sale stuff, I don’t feel respected or valued as a customer and for any company that should be a top of their worry list, I don’t think it is with DTG, they will milk money anyway they can get it but it’s won’t be from me anymore

• Like Like x 5
  6. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

This is a pointless question. What do you expect them to say? "No, we're not sorry, go away and play something else"?

• Like Like x 6
  7. Eicartestfile

Eicartestfile New Member

Sorry, I don’t understand what are all the other fiasco’s? It’s one release that goes wrong they are people to and make mistakes.

• Like Like x 4
  8. borg#1850

borg#1850 Well-Known Member

I see you are a "New Member" take if from those who have been here a while (not that long for me 6 month) but others a "Long" time. They have seen bugs, promises, issues and this is finally the straw that broke the camels back. Will anyone at DTG comment on this is a Truthful way, we all doubt it. Will anything change, we doubt it.
    It would be nice to see DTG offer free routes for a while to make up for this fiasco. Though would they be fully tested and working and not bugged beyond belief.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Eicartestfile

Eicartestfile New Member

That I am new on the forum doesn’t mean that I am new to the game.

• Like Like x 9
  10. borg#1850

Aha ok thanks for the update. I played TSW2020 and have to say although it is minus a lot of stuff it was far easier to play and seemingly not as many bugs as TSW2 and certainly these updates seem to have.

11. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

I finished TSW 2020 not long ago and a lot of the trophies glitched but I managed to get them in the end but I think you are right TSW2 has more bugs in it than 2020 outside of trophies / achievements already had strange things happening already that did not happen in 2020

12. shhweeet#4292

shhweeet#4292 Well-Known Member

The problem with saying it’s over and I kind of feel the same way tbh is that a lot of us have spent a lot of money on this game, too much to just walk away. In other words we are all kind of tied to TSW2 unless we are prepared to walk away and write the expense off. For me my decision is to never ever buy a dlc at anywhere near full price but to wait until a dlc is sold for half price or less and has been out for a fair while so issues can be fixed. Paying full price for TSW2 route dlc’s at £24.99 a pop is far too risky especially if something happens where you could lose them and might possibly not get them back or at the very least have to start your many hours of progress all over again. Of course if I don’t get my dlc’s back then yeah I would definitely walk away and never return.

• Like Like x 2
  13. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I think it's a valid point though. If DTG made a public apology, alongside what went wrong and what they'd be doing to avoid it in the future, then they may find it improves public relations.

Unfortunately they do have a trend of repeating the same or similar mistakes, and it will cause players to walk away. Exactly in the same way that I'll no longer be supporting Rivet until their quality improves.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

DTG are EXTREMELY LUCKY they don’t have any real competition, that’s why they have got away with substandard releases time after time, if they had competition they would have to up their game or they would have no customers

• Like Like x 2
  15. shhweeet#4292

They will have to up their game if they get taken over by EA, Codemasters or whoever. Another member disagreed with me on this but I’m telling you if DTG continue to fail on their testing and quality checks it’s going to happen and that will be both good and bad for all of us.

• Like Like x 1
  16. polygons#3287

polygons#3287 Member

If I understand correctly, you’re completely done and fed up. Seems odd three days later you’re still posting on the forums for a game you’re never playing again.

• Like Like x 5
  17. AGoodJudge

AGoodJudge Active Member

But who would want to take them over? They'd just inherit a load of bad publicity and reputational damage.

18. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

I have spent good money in the past and it’s still there to be played (if the DLC comes back) what I won’t be doing is spending another penny on this product or with this company, comprende?

• Like Like x 2
  19. Doomotron

• Like Like x 2
  20. shhweeet#4292

It’s the TSW2 game they would want along with it’s licences. Whilst it’s currently supposedly a niche game it IS a quality railway sim game with huge potential that someone like EA would quite possibly like to take on and make it more wider appealing and accessible to a more general player base and of course they would make sure the quality with regards to bugs etc would improve but probably with less staff.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
  21. polygons#3287

polygons#3287 Member

I understood everything up until the word, “comprende”

• Like Like x 3
  22. polygons#3287

polygons#3287 Member

Unlikely. EA is a money making machine. Why would they get involved with a product that has about 30 players, all of them perpetually displeased?

• Like Like x 2
  23. borg#1850

I wonder how many users of TSW there actually are across all platforms. Maybe DTG could let us know or Dovetail

24. Doomotron

3000-4000.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  25. Doomotron

Ironically, it was EA that published Rail Simulator...

26. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s likely to be 10 times that number at least. Even more will own the game but not play very often.

27. Calidore266

Calidore266 Well-Known Member

True enough. As they've shown since they got the Star Wars game license, EA aims to displease millions of gamers at a time.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

Your totally right to feel frustrated, and I completely agree with you. For myself, I got wise after running into several issues affecting my TSW2020 suite of products for my PS4- and DTG later walked away from the entire TSW2020 product line and abandoned all support for it. As much as I wanted to pick up the then new TSW2 with the CSX AC4400 route in it, I wasn’t about to give them yet more of my money after what they did with TSW 2020 support. Why reward them for bad behavior? I was done with them and their nonsense… I saw the writing on the wall at that point.

DTG cares about one thing, and one thing only as far as I can tell- and that is to crank out products and make their money. As long as they stick to their target release dates, out it goes- in whatever buggy or broken state they feel they can get away with. The writing is on the wall for *everyone* to see… I’m honestly surprised so many folks continue to invest their money in DTG’s substandard train sim products. I vote with my wallet… and it’s been a no-vote for them for quite awhile now. Maybe one day that will change… it’s all up to them.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  29. borg#1850

That seems quite small to me. To pay every ones wages and run a business. I cannot see how the number could be that low. I could understand if that was just the UK, but world wide and with the USA surely it would be much bigger. Oh well I was just interested.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

I totally agree DTG have no concept of quality control, it’s all about sticking to release dates and making money, customers are near the bottom of their priority list and that’s unforgivable

• Like Like x 1
  31. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

The companies where i feel respected or valued as a customer, can be counted on one hand. Compared to a some others, DTG is not that bad. I am not happy either, but i have also real good DLC´s.

• Like Like x 1
  32. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

Were they released good? or did they become good months after release? DTG release substandard stuff and then palm it on to the preservation crew to deal with months later

33. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I did the same and stopped playing for long time. I finally returned recently when TSW2 was hugely reduced and actually, I can see improvements since I left, both to the game and the communication which was always woeful in the past. Plus the switch to 4K on PS4 Pro was a dramatic improvement to the game. Since then, I've only bought SEHS and the 465, which are both great, and were both heavily discounted.

Maybe the OP just needs to take a break, find another game to play for a while, then check back in the future when there's an itch that needs scratching. If you've managed to get a PS5 by then, you'll be pleasantly surprised by how slick it all feels and any DLC released in the interim will have been bug-fixed and will be cheaper in the sales too.

• Like Like x 1
  34. LucasLCC

It's generally the small companies that care and act like they do, because the custom means something to them. When you get to DTGs size you're just a number to their accountants and that's it unfortunately.

I can't think of any big companies that make me feel valued, other than hotel chains and their loyalty schemes. I do think that DTG should do more to make customers feel valued (and I'm not talking about freebies here), but that's a conversation for another thread

35. frank1116

My last purchase was CCL, which was a positive surprise. In terms of hardware i know what i can expect from my old PS4 Slim. Beside that i am a casual player looking for reasonable "driving-Physics", good sound and lighting. i dont care too much if there should be more or less passengers. No complaints so far for CCL, LGV, Class33/52/BR363, the rest came in with my TSW2 collectors edition disc. Of course i have a long list of inadequate implementation of systems as well. ...and i dislike the way DTG is dealing with it.

• Like Like x 1
  36. shhweeet#4292

That’s exactly why EA would maybe like to get their hands on TSW2. It’s got huge potential in the world of railway sims, the hard graft has been done for them by DTG, licences obtained, and a player base that whilst maybe not massive is a great starting point.

EA have form for swooping in. They did it with RR3 which many now regard as the best racing game on the mobile platform. It now has a huge player base for a mobile racing game. RR3 was created by a relatively small Australian firm called Firemint / Fire Monkeys. EA saw it’s huge potential bought the company which got their hands on the RR3 franchise then immediately converted it to the watch the adds concept which is where they make their money. They constantly update the content and concept of it to keep people interested and work on keeping the game very accessible and enjoyable to play.

You think this couldn’t happen to DTG and TSW? Think again.

• Like Like x 1
  37. borg#1850

Actually anything that could make some Shekels a large company will look at. Just think all the advertising boards could have live Adverts on them. Not saying that EA would but who knows. You can Never say Never in the world of gaming or anything else for that matter.

• Like Like x 1
  38. shhweeet#4292

EA probably would do that. Live adverts on station boards, on the trains, and wherever else is a very very EA thing to do. Good point borg. Also unfortunately EA would reduce DTG staff and put them to work on other EA projects. The remaining DTG staff would be made to work harder to up the quality etc on TSW2. That’s what happened to some of the Fire Monkeys staff. In defence of EA RR3 is a brilliant compared to what is was even though the add watching didn’t go down too well with original players. Still the trade off for this short add watching which you DO get used to is a quality running game that’s constantly refreshed updated, and added to. Don’t expect to ever complete it though

39. rustyknight07

rustyknight07 Member

I have four games produced by Dovetail Games, the two TSW and two fishing games. All still full of bugs that never got fixed.

TSW2020, they promised to fix the Tees Valley but never did, Cement Circle is impossible to complete.

They still haven't fixed the gradient indicator on TSW2, it's still reversed a lot of the time. There was some rubbish about it working by which way the front of the loco is facing, in the real world it doesn't matter which way its facing, if the train is going forward up hill its going up hill - not down like it does in this game.

I won't mention the bugs in the fishing games as this isn't the right place but there are loads, like getting trophies for lakes I don't own and fishing from a boat being totally unplayable because the screen flickers so bad.

40. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt EA is interested in a Rail Sim. It might have huge potential for a train sim, but nothing close to the player bases that EA are interested in.

If they did. takeover DTG, then I‘m out. They would likely add some form of in game currency that would enable quicker progress or unlock services. Every yearly update would likely be paid. DLC would likely only work for specific versions. I hate the EA business model and won’t touch there products other than free versions on gamepass.

People complain about the bean counters at DTG. Pretty confident it would be worse at EA.

Just my opinion. Just hope it never happens.

• Like Like x 5
  41. Willowrpe

Willowrpe Well-Known Member

In fairness TSW 2020 scenario Cement Circle was fixed and I completed it the day the patch was released but the points you make about the bugs still stand they should be fixed quickly not have to wait a year or so (if at all) for a patch

42. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

It took a year to put the two missing landmarks back in the Bakerloo line (Shard/Wembley stadium)

43. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

EA and Train Simulators, where have I seen that before....

Though EA was only a publisher and didn't do much after release.... (Its also funny that this technically became TS2021)
    51m-b92xcML.jpg Rail_Siimulator_Cover.jpg 174262-rail-simulator-windows-front-cover.jpg

44. Hidden Donkey

Hidden Donkey Active Member

you over expect and dont get what you want the problam is with you not dovetail games be more relistic

45. Hidden Donkey

Hidden Donkey Active Member

the game works how trains work thats not icompitence thats real life

46. Doomotron

Perhaps, but as most of their sales comes from DLC those accounts who don't play the game mean nothing to DTG.
    There's a very good reason why Rail Simulator was EA's only attempt at a train simulator. And it's the same with Microsoft. Train simulators are and forever will be a niche market that is completely pointless for any large company to get involved with.
    Racing games are a major genre. Train simulators aren't. And if EA had continued with the Need For Speed Shift series, they'd have no need for Real Racing, since they're both in the same genre.
    I have thought about it again and, yep, it's still as impossible as it was in 2009.
    They've done this in many games; it's not a new thing. Burger King were on billboards in Burnout Dominator and Paradise, alongside Barrack Obama's presidential campaign (they actually, unironically advertised him in Burnout Paradise). Diesel and Gillette were in a few games as well.

• Like Like x 1
  47. LucasLCC

Not sure how Samo expecting PS4 DLC to actually work is over expecting...

• Like Like x 1
  48. Samo1

Samo1 Well-Known Member

My expectations are not too high, DTG’s quality control is far too low

49. frank1116

I have taken my PS4 off-line last wednsday and avoided all the troubles happend since then. My current DLC are working more or less, and as a casual player i am fine with it. However i am wondering how to proceed further. No upgrade would mean loosing some fixes and improvements as well as no further DLC´s. Reason enogh to have a closer look to the roadmap.
    Class 313 EMU - I have my Class 314 EMU and i like it, no need for a 313
    Standard 1938 Tube stock - too similar
    BR187 - Yet another DB E-Locomotive - isn´t the 146, 185, 182, 143, 155, 112 ... sufficient
    BR420 - A predecessor of trains we already have. Why not a successor to have more modern rolling stock.
    BR232 - Out of service since decades - I like museum- and preserved locomotives, but have already 6 of them
    L6 02 - G6 - yet another DB shunter
    Brighton - yet another UK route with a CL377 and a CL387
    West cornwall - yet another UK route, and an CL150. Just have a look for it and you will see what i mean.
    The point: I am missing more variety, a kind of "think-big-mentality" of DTG.

If there would be e.g. a CL385 for my Glasgow route, an italian route, a steamer, a far-east route on the roadmap
    there would not be any doubt. Flightsim kept me interested for almost 20 years. TSW2 might end much quicker.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Skyz2020

Skyz2020 Well-Known Member

I too took mine offline before the update. Wise move frank, will contemplate going for the update a couple weeks after the latest patch, once I can see all the british dlc work again will gamble and bring the ps4 back onto wifi

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021