New Element In Hud -- What Is It?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by LastTrainToClarksville, Aug 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Simple question: the driving HUD includes a new element, which I'll describe as 4 arrows, each pointing toward a cardinal direction (north, south, east, & west) surmounted by an engineer's head. I've looked at the HUD key explanation that's now available within the program, but this symbol doesn't appear on the HUD pictured there.
    20210821165549_1 detail.jpg

If you know or think you know what this is, please let me know; if you don't know, please avoid idle (especially negative) speculation. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Do you happen to have the classic controller layout enabled? If I'm not mistaken, what this element indicates is whether you're in 'driving mode' and therefore controlling the train, or if you're in 'camera mode', contolling...you guessed it...the camera.
    It should show up in instances when you're in an external view.
    This isn't exactly a new element by the way, I believe it's been there since the early days of TSW. Though it's quite subtle and it isn't immediately obvious what it means.

3. LastTrainToClarksville

Hmmm... I don't even know what the "classic controller layout" is, but I run TSW on a PC and had never seen this element before -- looks like it's time for a hike through the options menu. Thanks for mentioning this.

• Like Like x 1
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

It's a console thing.

5. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

This refers to on consoles with the upgrade from TSW2020 to TSW2, they completely changed the controller mapping to minimise menus popping up for controls, so-called "Immersion controls". They left the original control scheme in though, named as "Classic controls".

Do you happen to have a Xbox or PlayStation controller plugged in to your PC?

6. LastTrainToClarksville

Nope!

7. StenioBlackHawnk

StenioBlackHawnk Active Member

I have the same problem and I don't know how to remove this thing from HUD, and nope I don't have any Xbox or PS Controller in my PC, guess we have to wait for a update ...

8. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

What train/loco is it?

9. LastTrainToClarksville

Thanks for asking. I think I took the screenshot while driving the DB BR 204, but as of yesterday it seems to have "vanished away like the dew on the morn". If I should happen to see it again, I'll be more careful about making a note about engine and route.

10. LWDAdnane

LWDAdnane Well-Known Member

PC user here. Seen this icon for the first time as I've started the Peninsula Corridor route. It's been on every service I've done so far.

11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It is not new, but related to one of the settings. I completely forgot which one and what it means.

12. LastTrainToClarksville

It's nice to know I'm not alone in experiencing this, but as I reported above it seems to have gone away without any action on my part. Ah, the mysteries of DTG!

13. StenioBlackHawnk

StenioBlackHawnk Active Member

I guess I'm the bad luck guy here lol, It's on in every loco and route for me! sigh ...

14. cattivo

cattivo Member

It might be to do with the control mode you are using, as I swapped over to immersive mode when the game updated and had never seen the HUD item you are talking about, but one scenario I did swapped me back to classic mode, and there it was. Back in immersive mode and it's gone again.

15. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I keep seeing it on pc too

16. LastTrainToClarksville

Please tell me what "immersive mode" is and how one selects it. Years of using TS and TSW and I've never run across this before!

17. cattivo

cattivo Member

I think you can select it under control schemes in settings. I gather it's a new control scheme that I guess came out with this recent patch.

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-sim-world/articles/article/tsw2-take-control

Edit - I play on PC using Steam, and while I now use an xbox controller, I was still using KB&M when the patch dropped, so I think you just select it under controller settings.

18. LastTrainToClarksville

reply to cattivo: I looked at that article, which trumpets new control settings but fails to describe how to use them. The new front end is pretty complicated and, in true DTG style, there's no user's manual to explain it to us, so I'll try to stumble around hoping to trip over the appropriate setting. Just as a final note, that new what-cha-ma-callit had disappeared for a while, but yesterday it was back again on the Mein-Spessart route. It doesn't seem to do any harm: just sits there and irks my curiosity.

19. cattivo

cattivo Member

Hi again - It certainly does appear to be what I said, that if Immersion controls are selected (in the Gamepad section, top item - Control Scheme) under Settings>Controls>Gamepad then that HUD element isn't present, but if Classic is selected then it is.

I just tested this out, and it certainly seems to be the case. I went to the Main-Spessart route, Timetable and selected the 766.2 DBpbzfa locomotive and then the very first timetable option. My default is to have the Immersion control scheme selected. No HUD item. I quit to the main menu, changed the control scheme to classic, restarted the same service and there it is.

It obviously doesn't matter what controls you actually use - while I do now tend to use an xbox controller as well as KB&M, right now my controller is not connected and it still happens.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  20. LastTrainToClarksville

Ah-ha! In the "Gamepad section"! I'll have a look at the gamepad controls.

So ... I selected the "Classic" option rather than the "Immersive" option in the Gamepad Controls menu. Let me see if that works, although since that do-dad has been playing hide-and-seek, I'm not sure whether I'll know that it worked.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  21. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I first saw this today on Rapid Transit.
    I too have no controller connected, so it's weird to see it.

22. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Hi, just popped over from the PS section to offer this. When the immersion controls were introduced at the launch of TSW2 last year and the preserved collection came over, the tutorials and scenarios from those preserved routes would automatically switch you to the classic control setup (because tutorials and scenarios often steer the user to particular controls and those may not be present in the immersion controller setup) and then switch you back afterwards. That doesn’t happen with timetable services, which only use the controller setup you have selected in the settings. That’s why the mode icon in question (driver or camera mode) appears sometimes and not always.

• Like Like x 1
  23. LastTrainToClarksville

Well, it's back again -- now appearing with the Class 66 loco

• Helpful Helpful x 1