Controls

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by cattivo, Aug 21, 2021.

1. cattivo

cattivo Member

Hi all

Quick question on control schemes. So far in TSW I have used mouse and some keyboard to operate locomotives. I find it more 'immersive' (sorry) to feel like I'm actually moving a control with the mouse rather than just incrementally pressing a button. (Also, if I do try to use TrackIR that makes using a mouse to push / pull levers even more challenging.) However, I notice that when I do use the keyboard there are quite a few occasions when the keypress doesn't register and this is most noticeable when using brakes with the lap function, so a press into service registers, but then the press back to lap doesn't and the braking goes wrong. This also happens using the mouse to move the throttle and brakes on some locomotives as it will move the lever, but then snap back, or sometimes forward from where I'm trying to set it.

First off, is there a setting where I can play around with keypress (and mouse) sensitivity? And secondly, what do others use? Is a controller better, more reliable, and subjectively, do people find it more immersive than using keyboard and mouse. For reference, in the other two games I play I use a HOTAS which of course, since they are flight games feels sort of like one is flying. :)

Interested to hear other people's thoughts.

2. rocky.28965

rocky.28965 Member

Get a Raildriver.

3. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

Not everyone wants or can afford a RD

• Like Like x 1
  4. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

I just use a keyboard and it takes a bit of practice to figure out how long you need to press certain keys in order to make sure levers snap in whatever position you want them to snap. You often can hear clicks to confirm a lever has been set correctly, and in case of brakes you often hear the noise of air flowing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Doc_Savage

Doc_Savage New Member

Why should i Purchess more controlors for my pc when i have a really nice x56 Hotas sitting next to me waiting to be used.
    Will they ever add Hotas support to this game

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

Recently I've been using a combination of the Xbox controller, mouse and keyboard with success. Tonight since the update I used my Track IR for the first time which I enjoyed, but I unplugged the Xbox controller as I seemed to get input lag/short FPS drops. So I used the mouse to control the brake and throttle on the Class 33 instead. Very immersive, see how I get on with other trains as control layouts are different but Track IR should help with that. I also have a AWS plunger from alanthomsonsim.com which helps the immersion factor.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2021
  7. cattivo

cattivo Member

Well, I ended up finding a cheap xbox controller, so bought it and gave it a try. I'm actually liking it a lot so far, have used it with a few German trains and also now one of the Sandpatch locos. I was surprised to find that it actually gives more granular control with the dynamic brake.

I still use KB&M for some things particularly camera stuff, but throttle, brakes, reverser and doors all work great on the controller.

Well, I'd not mind that at all as I have a HOTAS myself for flight simming and spaceships! But for now, very happy with my $30 xbox controller. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

This is by design. It helps to keep you from overshooting a stop or notch on a control. For example there is usually a much longer press required to get into Emergency Braking on the automatic brake. If it wasn't for the requirement of a long press, it would be too easy to accidentally actuate emergency braking. Or on locomotives with a throttle/brake lever, there is often a long press required to move from throttle to braking or braking to throttle. This long press makes it easy to pull the throttle back to 0 throttle, and not accidentally apply brakes. Or same with pulling the brakes back to 0 and not apply throttle.

This method of keyboard control has existed going back to the early days of Train Simulator, not just a TSW feature. I think, for using a keyboard to control levers, it is a great feature and really helps prevent moving levers too far, which can be a whole other level of frustration.

There is no sensitivity setting or ability to change these delay values, and the delays very significantly from one locomotive to the next sometimes. Regardless,

9. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I have had good success driving with a gaming mouse from Logitech. I use pairs of buttons for brakes, dynamic brakes, and throttle. I also use a central button for PZB/alerter acknowledge. It’s not quite as “immersive” as rail driver, but it keeps me from having to grab the handles in cab if I don’t want to. I switch a pair of buttons to AFB (R and F) when driving a German route. When I am on TS driving steam, a pair of buttons becomes the reverser. It works quite well for me.

You can also specify mouse sensitivity in the logitech software package.

10. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I've only played using mouse and keyboard both TS and TSW. I don't control anything with the mouse, it's just to look around. I always use keyboard shortcuts for everything.

Because each locomotive has its own specific feel (particularly diesel and steam locomotives), I recommend playing a loco/route for a longer period of time in order to have continuity in learning how it brakes and accelerates. The more time you dedicate to one, the easier it is to control it, and even when you switch routes and come back at a later time it will still be in your memory how to touch it in order to get its best performance.

I remember how engineers and train drivers get trained on a specific locomotive that they drive for a good part of their career. In aviation is the same. You just need to invest time to learn the particularities and you'll be driving perfect runs each time after that.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  11. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Whilst I like programmable throttles, I find raildriver frustrating at times.
    When it works it’s great, but I find the insensitivity of the throttle annoying at times.
    With US trains it’s perfect, but with modern EU trains with combined power/brake levers I prefer the keyboard.
    Less immersion, but faster response.
    Could be just the logitech keyboard though.

12. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I used to play on a Logitech keyboard as well, the G810 Orion spectrum to be more precise. It went rogue as keys started to behave weirdly by either not registering or registering multiple times. Typing was a nightmare at best and impossible most of the time.

I am now using a Corsair K70 Mk II. The feedback from the Cherry browns is great and I am enjoying playing the game using the corsair. I miss the overall refinement of the G810, you can feel the attention to detail put into it.

13. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Because I have several Macs which share this old monitor with my gaming box I use the wireless MX3 and Mouse.
    Switching between them is so easy and they do feel like premium products to use.
    Such a joy to get rid of all those cables.
    Highly recommended if a little pricey.