Boston Sprinter F40ph-3 Brake Issue

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by christofer.o, Aug 27, 2021.

1. christofer.o

christofer.o New Member

I ran into a wierd issue yesterday while doing the first service of the second journey chapter on Boston Sprinter. Hoping someone can tell me what I did wrong.

A couple of miles before the last station on the service while braking for a speed reduction the brakes came on pretty hard and stayed on even after I released the train brake. No matter what I did I could not get the train moving again. Safety systems were on (though I don't have a full grasp of ATC yet)

With the train brake handle in the running/off position there was a loud rushing air noise which stopped as soon as I moved the handle to the braking range or moved the cutoff valve. With the handle in the running position the BC gauge showed 0 PSI but the brakes where on hard. EQ/TP showed 90 PSI (as compared to 110 plus in normal operation), main reservoir hovered between 130 and 140 PSI and it was obvious that the compressor was working and that air was moving. Also the "brakes applied" light was on. No red indication on the power indicator and the amp gauge looked as if the loco was pulling.

I tried the normal PCS reset routine as on other US trains to no avail (handle to emergecy, wait 60s etc.). I gave up after 10 minutes or so of fiddling.

Anyone got a clue as to what happened?

2. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

Put it in suppression and acknowledge atc, that should to the trick, you can avoid this by putting the brake in supression as soon as you get a reduction

• Like Like x 1
  3. christofer.o

christofer.o New Member

Great, thank you! I will definitely try that.

• Like Like x 1