Ps5 Version Question

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by jcgxjx, Aug 27, 2021.

1. jcgxjx

jcgxjx New Member

Sorry if this has been posted. I recently upgraded to the PS5 version of the game. When i went to play it i noticed i had to start completely over and even make a new profile. My question is, is there anyway to transfer over my old profile from ps4 to ps5 version? I would hate to lose all my hard work and have to re do everything. :(

2. surreychuff#3060

surreychuff#3060 Active Member

Unfortunately no way to carry over any profile or save data at the moment.

there maybe a solution to carry over your dovetail profile further down the line, but no guarantees.

The one upside is that with all the updates to the older routes that have landed at the same time, there’s never been a better time to start again…

• Like Like x 1
  3. WonkySausages

WonkySausages Member

This is my dilemma. So I have many hours and miles and trophies on the PS4 version... I have just started anew on the upgraded PS5 version, which i'm not gonna lie, am quite frustrated about. The problem is (and i'm sure it's been mentioned on other threads) - what if I go balls deep on the PS5 version, rack up more miles and hours and trophies, only to be told in a future update that character data from PS4 will now transfer over to PS5 version - effectively making any progress i'd done on the PS5 version pointless.

Of course i'd like my PS4 character data to work on PS5, but this then means not playing TSW2 until that happens as I don't want to spend hours playing for no reason, but then the situation we're in right now is... i've played the PS4 version for hours and hours, for effectively no reason as I have to start again on PS5 lol. What to do, what to do..

4. surreychuff#3060

surreychuff#3060 Active Member

I’d say just pull the plaster off and move on; I felt your pain when I had to start again with the preserved routes when they were brought into TSW2 and all progress wiped out and had to start again.

same again when I upgraded to PS5 and overlooked the option to download the PS4 save file when playing via backwards compatibility.

So being here again and having to start AGAIN with the PS5 native version is a massive groan inducing moment of annoyance, but I keep telling myself to play the game and not the trophy list, and hope this is the last time…

as before, at least it’s a great time to revisit old routes again with all the updates

5. jcgxjx

jcgxjx New Member

Yeah i understand, its just extremly frustrating to start over all the routes i did on the ps4 version. I put in COUNTLESS hours of hard work not to mention alot of different liveries i created that i wouldnt want to re do because of how time consuming they were. Hopefully they can come out with the transfer profile sooner rather then later.

6. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

It was very frustrating to have to start again. But the updated visuals we have received make for revisiting scenarios quite a pleasant detour. There are details I'm spotting that just weren't visible before, especially on GWE the extra timetabled services and missing AI from scenarios has been fun to see for the first time.

Liveries and scenarios I would like to save much more than character progress. If there is a dovetail live up/download function in the future, I'll look forward to having them back then.

7. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

I certainly have sympathy with anyone who invested time in things like the livery designer (my own creations weren't worth saving) but I don't quite get the ire this has caused (although this is certainly the calmest, c'est la vie thread on the issue I've seen) . It's not as if a certain progress level got you anything so working back to the level you were by driving trains in a train simulator doesn't seem a biggie to me.

8. Mathieu

Mathieu Member

Some people care a lot about completion, and that's all there is about it.
    Imagine losing a save file for a game you've spent hundred of hours in. Although it doesn't unlock anything in Train Sim, that's the same kind of deal.

9. forteanjo

forteanjo Active Member

I can well imagine coz I'm in that boat. TSW2020 was my most played game in 2019 and TSW2 was my most played game in 2020. I expect TSW2 will be my most played game in 2021 too. I was well over Level 120, had the platinum and trophies for most of the routes too.

But at the end of the day, I have TSW2 coz I like to simulate driving a train and I can keep doing that and never visit a service I've done before and still get the platinum on the PS5 version of TSW2 all over again. I don't feel I've lost anything. I've already re-earned a good spattering of PS5 trophies on the Boston Sprinter so I'm well on my way.

10. steveownzzz#6107

steveownzzz#6107 Well-Known Member

i was about 5k miles driving + 60 miles walking from the platinum trophy on ps4 but I still made the jump. Not carrying over progression gives me an excuse to play routes again that I've played previously... routes that I wouldn't have otherwise played. No regrets either, this game is way better on the ps5

• Like Like x 2
  11. philwest#7393

philwest#7393 Member

Why not continue to play the PS4 version (if you can) and use the PS5 just for the fun of it, if we are able to transfer profiles and game saves across at some time in the future you will have lost nothing.
    Luckily, I have both systems and rather than take up valuable storage on the PS5 I’m keeping the PS4 for PS4 games and PS5 games, namely TSW for the PS5. It works for me!