Livery Designer Wishlist

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by DTG Protagonist, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

You can do that by adjusting the projection sliders while editing a shape.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JasperHuskyFox

JasperHuskyFox Member

Forza Horizon 2 has an AMAZING way to do repaints, they have these features id LOVE to have in TSW2:
    -X Y Z values of shapes, snapping to every 0.25 value with dpad, and fast move with analog
    -Sectionsto paint so they don't bleed over (painting nose of AC4400CW sometimes paints side if you go over. Ability to select sections like front, roof, rear, nose top, can left, cab right)
    -Ability to share custom made logos using the proprietary shapes, searched by keyword (if someone makes a CN logo, shares it, someone else can use it)
    -You can make custom groups, if you make a logo, you can copy and past it onto any unit you repaint
    -List of last used / selected layer groups. If I used my CN logo, and swapped locos, it would show up so I can past it since I used that last

New things that I could think of:

-Custom side numbers with font options
    -Custom running number max-min values (Loco number between 1234 and 2345 etc)
    -Custom weathering
    -More premade warning signs (Watch your step, reflective tape)
    -Paint styles (gloss, matte, reflective)
    -Wipers don't get painted
    -Premade warning stripes that can be selected orpor deselected on nose, rear hood, rear plow, etc
    -ability for more precise movements, down to the "pixel" (or as close as we can get, so we can have things line up right)
    -more premade shapes

Sound options:
    Some railroads use E-Bells, some use Mechanical, some use Nathan air horns, some use Leslie. These can make our creations seem more prototypical and lifelike

Premade shape additions:
    Maple Leaf, Clover, Gradients, fake lights (to make units look like they have more lights. They don't need to operate, more of a pretend thing), rust

I LOVE Customizing to my heart's content, but rn the livery designer needs ALOT of work, especially for consoles

Take inspiration from the Forza franchise, and how they handle repainting and decals from Forza Horizon 2, and Motorsport 6, they do it perfectly
    Sorry for long post, I really want to scratch my overcreative itch, but it's hard with what we have right now

• Like Like x 3
  3. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

The ability to customise your own Numbers for your units. For example, if I wanted to have a specific Unit or locomotive in my own livery, we should be able to change it to what ever we want.

• Like Like x 3
  4. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

Stop the bleeding over thing because I have like 5 weird stripes alongside the long hood

• Like Like x 2
  5. Anthony Pecoraro

Huh?

• Like Like x 1
  6. JasperHuskyFox

JasperHuskyFox Member

Use the Projection function, and set it to the about ¼ left or right, it should help
    You'll have to play with it tho

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  7. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

Look at the trailing loco above the "CP Rail
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Anthony Pecoraro

Lower the projection slider.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Yeah, what Anthony said. Move the projection slider (the one on the bottom) to the left until the line disappears from the side of the loco.

• Like Like x 1
  10. JeffFromTheIRS

JeffFromTheIRS Member

A few people have mentioned this already, but seriously tools for precision would be an absolute life savior. I like the livery tool and can't wait to see what features are being added, but holy moly, it's a pain to use if it includes any type of rotation or movement. Whenever I adjust an object, it either goes an inch or six inches with no in-between.

Basically, the two things I want:
    • Ability to adjust layers with smaller movements
    • An indicator for angle degrees

• Like Like x 2
  11. Anthony Pecoraro

Hold control, it will move slower.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JeffFromTheIRS

JeffFromTheIRS Member

Ah, that's super helpful! Thanks :D It certainly would've been something nice to have on the UI somewhere. Still, having an even finer control of movement would be nice to have as well!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Coming off of finer control, I feel like the ability to use the mouse (ie push a button and you can physically move the decal with the mouse) would be nice. Could work on console by replacing the mouse with one of the analogue sticks?

• Like Like x 1
  14. JeffFromTheIRS

JeffFromTheIRS Member

I don't know if it's possible, but the ability to create liveries for the trains in the Preserved Collection. Would love to make a livery for the Electro-star, M7, or something!

• Like Like x 2
  15. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

Me too, and that’s a very nice suggestion right there. If DTG does add this (which I hope they will), it’ll expand the options for designing liveries for trains, such as an Amtrak F40:)

16. Clumsy Pacer

I think they said to make preserved collection compatible, it'd involve having to essentially rebuild the entire texturing system for every loco/unit/wagon.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Clumsy Pacer

Also, something else I'd like is an image of the piece of rolling stock in the menu, so you know what each thing is before creating a livery if you don't know the names. I believe DTG Protagonist mentioned it in his scenario planner stream.

• Like Like x 1
  18. mkennaway

mkennaway Well-Known Member

I hope this is something that gets added. I'm sure I did read or see on a live stream that they are going to be though. I love livery editor, the possibilities are endless. Iv now not used it for ages though as iv done so many gp38s, sd40s, ACs, box cars etc. Would be great to have more variety of locos and wagons to paint. Especially some British loco's as they are something that's really missing from livery editor.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Clumsy Pacer

• Like Like x 1
  20. Clumsy Pacer

Not too sure on the scope of this, but my livery has appeared with quite a few (what look like) compression artefacts, you can see it here on the rainbow on the left and the roundel. It would be nice if it perhaps didn't compress textures so much as it appears to have done with this one.

(Yes, it's a Pride livery. Yes, it's somewhat inspired by Avanti's. No, I had no other ideas. I'll post more screenies in the appropriate thread)
    20201013163612_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  21. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

Download Forza Horizon 4. Open their livery designer. Copy that code line by line.

I don't want to sound like a rude person but they are hands down the best game for designing paint schemes. The ease of use and the amount of freedoms it allows you when designing items is just the gold standard. I can't even come close to making intricate designs on this program like I can with that game. The variety of shapes and decals, the ability to flip/rotate/skew items any way needed, the mirror effect, the fact you can delete grouped layers, etc. Also they let you share designs and layer groups.

• Like Like x 1
  22. JGRudnick

• Like Like x 1
  23. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I feel like GT Sport one up them with their livery designer, especially since you can import real life logos into the game. Though they have to be in an odd format (.svg files and below 15kb)

• Like Like x 1
  24. mkennaway

To be fair to DTG though. Iv played forza since Forza 2 on the original xbox. The livery editor didnt have as much options as TSW2s to start with. It has improved constantly over the years. This is the first release of it in TSW2, I'm sure it will get better.

• Like Like x 2
  25. JGRudnick

Let's hope!

• Like Like x 1
  26. Clumsy Pacer

Don't get your hopes up too high, mind. Note how it's under "investigate". There's no guarantee it'll come to anything.

• Like Like x 1
  27. JGRudnick

Well at least it's being looked into. It's a start. I don't expect it to be available for a while, but it's still nice to see it on the roadmap.

• Like Like x 2
  28. zakvdolek

zakvdolek New Member

You good sir, are clearly more talented [and infinitely] more patient than I. Sooo then I guess my next suggestion (which has already been suggested), is a community where plebs like me can find someone who's done a far better job than I!

• Like Like x 1
  29. mkennaway

Haha not sure about talent but I am very patient! Yeh a sharing option would be cool but there is lots of licensing issues surrounding that I believe.

• Like Like x 1
  30. navcomm277

navcomm277 Well-Known Member

Would love the ability to create liveries for preserved collection locos and cars!
    Thanks Mark

• Like Like x 1
  31. Clumsy Pacer

• Like Like x 1
  32. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

You could have multiple layers of livery files: one layer for the base livery, one as a mask with rust and others with progressive amounts of dirt. The masks would function as a second layer and so you could have some trains looking pristine while others look run down. It would also be a way to make the train wash work as you could have dirt and grime layers that progressively get added over time and then the train wash would just remove the layers.

I also think there should be an import/export function for liveries so you can use your own image editing programmes on say .png files that you export from the game to give you the template, you then edit them and re-import them. This would give people more freedom and save some dev time from trying to re-create the features from the best paint programmes.

• Like Like x 2
  33. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Some more I have (that may already have been mentioned, but I can't bother reading them all :))

• the ability to input colour codes (something like HEX) to match your colours to the real life thing
    • the ability to set how shiny or matt a certain colour is, preferably on a slider of some kind (so you can add silver, gold, and metallic layers to your liveries)
    • More decals for weathering. A gradient version of the existing 'scratches' would be great, something like the weathering decals below would also be great. Also, maybe a decal that looks like specs of dust (just irregular small dots, getting less dense at one end if possible), this can also be used to recreate dead bugs and would help make the livery more real.[​IMG]
    • More decals for on the bottom of locomotives, where information such as max speed is shown in tables would be great
    • German versions of the warning shield (like 'Warning: Live overhead wires' which we have in English, but not German)
    • The ability to type out text in one go, and then have it be one thing you can put anywhere you want.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  34. Hidden Donkey

Hidden Donkey Active Member

dont necrobump its been almost a year since this was last opsted

• Like Like x 1
  35. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

Bump the limit of liveries we can have to 400 liveries or maybe 600 liveries.

• Like Like x 1
  36. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I think it's a good thing this has came back to life considering what's just on the roadmap.

I think increasing Layer Limits would be good, maybe to 500/600 would be great.

• Like Like x 2
  37. fizpix

fizpix Well-Known Member

Honestly I would have to agree with you

• Like Like x 1
  38. frank1116

frank1116 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it has been mentioned: graffiti art ! ...even it s the one from Buildings already in the game.

• Like Like x 2
  39. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

• The Ability to layer on the Train's actual number anywhere on the train. (Example: British Trains Class 377409)
    • Make it easier to add Weathering
    • Give us actual operator logos (When Possible - Probably Not possible)

• Like Like x 1
  40. Adamgrant3

Adamgrant3 Active Member

Have the ability to have curved lines but have the ability to control the curve and allow us to make adjustments with like a Point system to you click on the point and drag it up and down to where you want that section of the line to go

More Fonts
    Logos
    better paint options

• Like Like x 1
  41. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

My Top Ten:

1) The ability to make groups of groups. Currently, with, say, a block of text, one can't simply break it down into constituent letters and rearrange them, you have to break it all the way down to elements and regroup the letters individually. And then the same process in reverse to re-constitute the block.

2) Numeric inputs. I don't want to guess or eyeball it, I want to be able to type in "30 degrees rotation" or "Move 5 pixels left"

3) Hex and RGB colour definition, in addition to the little-used HSV. With, of course, numeric inputs.

4) More layers. Since trainsimcz' useful hack has shown that the system can handle 65535 layers, why are we stuck with 300?

5) A pencil or pen freehand tool. Splines or Bezier curves would be nice, but not as important

6) Fine control (preferably numeric) of projection settings.

7) More layers

8) As mentioned by others, the ability to save layer groups as decals and use them in multiple projects

9) More layers

10 Font functionality. Not "shapes which have Helvetica Sans letterforms," I mean actual fonts. In particular, the ability to type in blocks of text and handle them, already aligned and spaced, as unitary graphical elements would be gold.

Bonus suggestion: More layers.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  42. solicitr

Oh, and randomized number fields for road numbers. DTG's in-house folks have them; why can't we?

• Like Like x 1
  43. marcsharp2

marcsharp2 Well-Known Member

The BR Logo, can be quite fiddly to make in game so having a base version of it to stick on Locos and DMUs/carriages would be a nice idea.

44. antwerpcentral

antwerpcentral Well-Known Member

45. isaac47593

isaac47593 Well-Known Member

My hopes for the future livery designer are more layers, more total liveries, and most importantly the ability to rotate by exact increments and flip vertically

• Like Like x 1
  46. AlexEnGame

AlexEnGame Member

I'm around 160 liveries from a total of 300 but i can't save any livery anymore, i heared it has to be something with an overcap layers of 24k, is that true?
    If yes why would (DTG) created that 300 liveries limit in the first place?
    ▪︎increase over limit layers in order to be able to create more liveries
    ▪︎increase the 300 layers
    ▪︎introduce the licensed logos as a single shape to the livery designer
    ▪︎introduce the possibility of copy an shape from a unit to put it on another unit(for example from sd40 to Sd70Ace)
    ▪︎let us share our work
    ▪︎set up the common text on the wagons and locos like Skyhook did on their wagons on Cane Creek in order to create more free layers for us to be able to play with

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  47. solicitr

48. AlexEnGame

AlexEnGame Member

• Like Like x 1
  49. MECAl301

MECAl301 New Member

More locomotives to make designs on! More older locomotives preferably!

• Like Like x 1
  50. alphasquad#7151

alphasquad#7151 Member

the ability to have infinant decals, to make loco HU's