Ps5 Stuttering And Popping

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by screamfan, Aug 27, 2021.

1. screamfan

screamfan Member

Hello guys,

I am having serious stuttering and popping problems on PS5 especially on the Hauptstrecke München - Augsburg route making it almost unplayable. In Cathcart I also have some stuttering but the game is playable. Am I the only one having these problems there on PS5?

Thanks for your feedback.

2. photonmonkey

photonmonkey Well-Known Member

Is this where we are at, you do realise that the PS5 is still a lot cheaper than a gaming PC and calling out a stutter of apparently less than 1ms? I don’t understand what you expect, perfection? I am hoping to upgrade to a PS5 maybe in the new year but god I am realistic.

3. photonmonkey

Regardless, I think you should be realistic with your expectations of a console whether next gen or last gen. even on top end PC’s you are going to get the occasional stutter. DTG will have pushed the PS5 to get the best visuals against frame rate it’s always a trade off.

4. photonmonkey

You admitted yourself it ran better with the PS4 build on PS5, what do you expect PS5 version higher res textures, better draw distance and the enhanced shadows, it’s all going to impact performance!

5. photonmonkey

Not trying to bash your concerns just pointing out the facts. The PS5 is clearly a more powerful machine but cannot compete with top end PC’s.

6. photonmonkey

Sad when people delete a post instead of returning a rational response!

7. screamfan

screamfan Member

The weird thing is that I have most of the DLC but this problem only affects HMA and Cathcart. Not to mention the power of the console, maybe it's just an optimization problem?

8. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

I’ve seen your posts elsewhere, decided not to get in to this with you. I find it sad you brought the gaming PC comparison to the table.

you clearly want a debate with all the extra posts and I clearly don’t hence deleting my comment.

Ive found this not just specific to the two routes mention so far. Am sure they’ll work out better optimisation over time.

9. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

hows this for being realistic. The stream with all the lovely announcements of what to expect clearly stated 60fps on the series X and PS5
    Dropping to 40 or below in some cases wasn’t expected.

I found it sluggish and others reported the same around this time last week. Heck I even plugged in a keyboard for the first time to see what I was getting on various routes.

My mention of 1ms was merely a finger in the air type comment of course I have no way of measuring this :|

comparing a console that’s gold dust to a 2 or even 3k computer? Nah.

10. photonmonkey

Appreciate that the team advised you would get 60fps but I wouldn't expect bang on 60fps 100% of the time on all routes in all conditions. Maybe they can revisit the route(s) in question and optimise a further but they have 'unlocked' a lot more eye candy on the PS5 version.

I guess at the moment running the game on a PS4 I would be less critical once I move to PS5, its not like the game is a FPS where milliseconds of time could really impact gameplay. However, I apologise for the tone of my post as reading it back it does seem argumentative which I did not intend :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

Hehe all good :cool:

I guess the game is what it is (and I hate that expression) throw all the raw gpu, cpu and ram and it will have the odd issue.

Drops down to 50 sure, not the end of the world.
    Drops down to 40 or even 30 and you really notice it, even more so if using the external camera.

I did share a photo of the game with my friend and he asked is that a real photo ;) so guess the gfx settings being close to ultra and in 4K looks awesome to a non gamer

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Tynmar

Tynmar Well-Known Member

So back to the OP, curious of the popping? Was this audio, draw distance or pop ups?

13. screamfan

screamfan Member

When I start from HMA the textures of the rails, the shadows gradually appear in front of me, it has not happened to me on any other line at this scale.

14. shonuuu

shonuuu New Member

Did anyone fix the stuttering issue

15. shonuuu

shonuuu New Member

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  16. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I have noticed the stutter on HMA but strangely only departing Augsburg and approaching Pasing.

I ran a Cathcart service yesterday and found that to run basically full 60fps throughout.

I have noticed FPS drops on other routes though, and suspect that it is an optimisation issue which hopefully gets sorted out soon, however overall I haven’t notice any severe issues, the Xbox may run 60fps more frequently but I assure you the sound issues there make that benefit completely void.

As for whatever debate took place regarding PC, you’d be hard pressed to build one (especially in the current part economy) to run TSW 2 as well as the current gen consoles do for as low as £349.

17. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, is this really just a momentary drop down to 30-40fps we're talking about here? As someone who's been gaming since gaming was a thing, I've been blown away with the performance of TSW2 on PS5.

I don't have Cathcart or HMA, so I might be missing a critical flaw here, but I have quite a few DLC and the way it's all running – in 4K – on a machine I paid £360 for, is incredible (and I'm not getting in to a console/pc debate here - if you think dropping £3k on a gaming pc is a sound investment, you go right ahead).

Yes, I'm sure there's more optimisation that could be done (we know DTG don't have unlimited staff or resources to throw at these things), but seriously, complaining an occasional drop away from 60fps as "unplayable" feels like staggering snowflakery!

• Like Like x 1
  18. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s definitely not a case of the game running at like 30fps for more than a few seconds, the worst I’ve seen it do for more than 20 seconds is 45fps and even that isn’t for more than a minute at a time.

There really isn’t any significant performance issue that I’ve noticed and I own the majority of DLC and played at least one service across it all since the update.

• Like Like x 1
  19. benuildo

benuildo Member

The stuttering and the popups in particular are annoying and immersion breaker. A frame rate of 60 isn't that important. A stable frame rate is the important thing. I could for example live with stable 45 FPS. Oddly it often feels like 30 frames even though the FPS counter shows 60.
    On the other hand, the PS5 should easily be able to show high settings with stable 60 FPS and without stuttering. I would even say that ultra settings should be possible on the current consoles. It's all a thing of system optimization. I hope that will happen at some point. And I believe in DTG. They are doing a good job most of the time ;)

20. screamfan

screamfan Member

Totally agree you summed it up perfectly

21. Shwing

Shwing Active Member

The best thing would be to offer some graphical settings in the options, or even just a fidelity / performance mode option.
    In fact I think Matt mentioned in a recent stream he would like to do this.

22. screamfan

screamfan Member

Absolutely that's a great idea