No Snow On Gwe?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SpeedyGinger, Aug 28, 2021.

1. SpeedyGinger

SpeedyGinger Active Member

So i wanted to do a GWE service in the winter but for some reason the snow slider is always greyed out? I have december selected and no snow is available. Is this a preserved collection thing? Am i doing something wrong? Is it a bug?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Suomen surkein junakuski

Suomen surkein junakuski Well-Known Member

This has happened to me once with the Boston Sprinter. After that it has been working with all routes except the Bakerloo Line, which never had snow due to technical limitations. Also another winter-related bug that I have noticed is that when you select december, trees still have leaves.

3. BR125

BR125 Well-Known Member

its 4C in december according to DTG - No snow as its over 0

4. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think something is up with the temperatures though. I loaded Munich-Augsburg in either October or November and after a short while (about 5 minutes) the rain suddenly turned to snow, despite the menu saying it was 5 or 6 degrees or something. I know the temperature fluctuates throughout the day in the game, but it was still a bit strange to me (I loaded at about 3pm). I wonder if it may help them having a temperature thing in the corner when you select a service so you know and aren't surprised when your rain gets white and blobby.

To answer the OP; it may seem strange but later or earlier in the day in real time will change that temperature and allow snow, although the snow may disappear when you get in game. Have you also tried setting it to January or February?

• Like Like x 1
  5. SpeedyGinger

Yes i've tried all 3 months of the winter season, also on EC i had a bug when it would allow me to set snow in december but it automatically turned into rain and the snow melted... Why have positive temperatures in winter? if i set it to winter, i want snow. If you don't want snow you have all 3 other seasons for it

• Like Like x 1
  6. Clumsy Pacer

The temperatures are supposedly based on real world data, which is why Bakerloo and Penninsula Corridor don't have snow.

7. SpeedyGinger

GWE used to have snow, one of the scenario's has snow, i want snow

8. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

The new weather/month setup is kinda odd now. snow is dependant on month but also time of day to get the temp to drop below 0, try setting a cold month like January then a late time to get to temp to drop.

I have found leafs on the trees are only gone from January to March if you want that authentic winter feeling.

Also if you want to change the weather/time of day when traveling on foot, you need to set it up on a service mode then go back to the travel by foot section.

Hope this can be improved on in the future, any chance this could be tweaked? TrainSim-Matt

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  9. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

And in December in Boston, if it's not snowing, somehow the deciduous trees have autumnal leaves on. If it's snowing the trees are bare.

In the other routes trees have leaves all the year around, except for in Jan, Feb and March when the leaves fall off.

Global warming, I tell ya.

10. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

Snow has multiple melting points and it depends on many other factors than the temperature at which point it becomes rain/water.

When the snow starts falling, it will fall through warmer and warmer air. Ice uses the energy of the warm air to melt, that is why rainfall will usually cool off a steamy summer day. Once the air cools to right around 4-5 degrees Celsius, it has actually not enough heat in it to keep the snowflakes melting as they fall through the layers of warm air. It snows! I think the highest temperature at which snowfall was recorded is 9.5 Celsius at FFK Airport.

Sometimes, you get first a mix of rain and snow, then, as the air cools further, it changes to all snow. You can get substantial snowfalls at this temperature. 20-30 cm or more. Wet snow, sure, but it will take time to melt.

Many times when I went outside when it started snowing (Central Europe, December-January) I felt that the temperature increased a bit compared to before the snowfall started. The blanket of clouds acts as a barrier and traps heat that is released from big cities. It almost never snows when extreme temperatures happen in urban areas. Extreme altitudes, south and north pole are different.

Thermal profiles in the cold season can be complex and multiple precipitation types can occur simultaneously.

Not that much of this is simulated in the game but the point is snow above the water melting point is actually quite common.

• Like Like x 3
  11. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Slough is sunny and beautiful all year round :)

12. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Yes no snow in Slough.

Quite disappointing that now DTG cuts of features instead of adding them. Was snow on GWE to demanding for the developers?

13. Clumsy Pacer

I think that's a bit harsh. I doubt it was intentional.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SpeedyGinger

Snow is in GWE, it was available before, but they've disabled it in timetable mode for some reason. It's only in that once scenario

• Like Like x 1
  15. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

I think the simple answer is that the temperature has been set a couple of degrees too high, which happened post Rush Hour update. Looks like it was an oversight.

• Like Like x 2
  16. JellyScrub

JellyScrub Active Member

I think a another option would be to chose the service before you chose weather. To me it would make more sense to chose what to drive, then how I want to drive it. It should be "I want to drive freight, in the early morning, with snow." Not "I want there to be snow, and by the way I'll drive in the morning.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Just had a chance to check this out on PC and same issue not able to select snow

18. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

I did a 17:30 run on GWE in December trough a heavy rain storm. I was hoping that at least the rain will turn to snow as it did previously when the temps dropped during the night. Not even a sign of snow.

19. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Come friendly snow and fall on Slough! It isn't fit for humans now...
    (Apols to John B)

• Like Like x 2