Loco Addons For Boston Sprinter

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by potatoefan#2838, Aug 27, 2021.

1. potatoefan#2838

potatoefan#2838 New Member

I think once the Boston to Providence gets polished I think it will be an amazing route for American passenger services. In order to maximize this and allow for more layers for better railfanning. I propose loco addons for the Original Acela Express Trainset and MBTA's MPI HSP46. Both of which are common sights on this stretch of the North East Corridor. Now let's get into details about these trains.

HSP 46:
    The HSP 46 is a B-B, AC Traction Diesel Electric locomotive. It is powered by a General Electric Gevo V12 Turbo Diesel Engine, same engine from the GE Evolution Series ES44AC. However this locomotive was built by Motive Power Industries. The HSP 46 has a top speed of 80mph in Revenue service. I also propose adding the CTC-5 Control Cab and BTC-4D. These bi level coaches where built by Hyundai Rotem, and commonly seen with HSP46 locomotives.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Acela Express:
    The Acela Express is a well known and loved Amtrak train. In it's 20 year run it has revolutionized and breathed life into the North East Corridor. The first generation Acela borrows some technology from the TGV. It was built in a consortium between Bombardier and Alstom. After winning a bid to supply Amtrak with a train of hitting 150mph in revenue service and having tilting passenger coaches. Given the fact many of you including my self got to drive it. I think it is fair to see this beloved train in the more immersive TSW2.
    [​IMG]

Conclusion:
    With these trains you will get variety to make railfanning interesting. It also goes with out saying, maybe adding GP-38-2 as traffic only would be nice. You will also get to experience one of the few places on the NEC where the Acela Express hits it's top service speed. I hope one day to see these trains in game as it would truly make Boston to Providence the best American Route for TSW2. I appreciate your consideration!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 32
  2. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

I would like to see these locos as future dlc for this route, but I think the classic Acela Express train set would sell better, be more realistic, and would be easier to make than the Avelia. DTG already has some reference material for the Acela (they have made it for TS in the NEC: DC-Baltimore route). The Avelia is supposed to enter service next year (around spring or summer of 2022) so it would be unrealistic to see it in revenue service or even testing runs as the Boston Sprinter route is set around 2019.

• Like Like x 3
  3. aarontheloner

aarontheloner Active Member

I would like a retro pack with the AEM-7.

• Like Like x 6
  4. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

would like to see the both the new and old acela for the route but id also would like to see the Aem-7 and hhp-8 along with the p42 for the route

• Like Like x 2
  5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For a retro pack, it must be HHP-8 AEM-7 & Acela Express as Legends of the NEC December 1999-2021. December 14th, 1999 was the electrification project completion date

• Like Like x 4
  6. driverwoods#1787

The 2021 locomotives and for HSP-46 they're found with MBTA Double Decker Coaches some cases a mixed formation Double Deckers with CTC-3s. Fun fact Avelia Liberty can cruise NEC at 200 mph 320 km/h if the tilt is disabled 260 km/h 160mph max speed with Tilt on. Only way for her to be maxed out is scenario planner off the Rails SKA & LGV.

• Like Like x 1
  7. CJM21292

CJM21292 Well-Known Member

i know this route takes place modern day but im pretty sure not much has changed between providence and boston so a throwback pack with the aem-7 in phase III-V and amfleet I's in phase III,IV, and the acela regional capstone scheme would be lit

• Like Like x 1
  8. potatoefan#2838

Metrolink fan good point I love both of them so I am good with either one. I will update this to include the old Acela, I do agree given having it in numerous TS Classic Routes makes it more feasible. Maybe we can get the new Acela trainset in a future route. I have been thinking of a Newark to Trenton Route. This would cover the new high speed rail portion of the NEC that just opened. Completed way before the rollout of the next gen Acela. AEM-7 and HHP8 would be cool to see too. I think the P42 could be a layer in from another Amtrak route. Driverwoods yep I think Alstom designed it with California in mind. Yeh a lot of Bahstonians lol pointed out how mbta trains mix and match cars. I would be fine with a CTC-3 and Rotem passenger cars. As jenky as that sounds it would be 100% authentic to something you would see there.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ionutmineadaniel

ionutmineadaniel Well-Known Member

I remember Matt once saying that the Acela is inevitable

• Like Like x 3
  10. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

The fact that there is so few Amtrak Services on this route also could mean that an Acela Express would sell more

• Like Like x 1
  11. driverwoods#1787

That would be 1999-2004 & I do remember seeing an Acela Regional train pulled by an AEM-7 Phase IV Paint at New Brunswick Station towards the Boston-Providence route. HHP-8 should be included here if a need to Run 135 mph 220 kmh locomotive which leaves you 10 miles per hour slower 16-20 kmh slower than ES64U2 Hamburg-Lubeck Rapid Transit 230 kmh 145 mph

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jhonfrankford

Jhonfrankford New Member

Yes!

• Like Like x 1
  13. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

Whilst I would like to see these trains brought into the game, I hope what they add as individual dlc is limited otherwise they could end up releasing a lot of NEC traffic all on one end of the route meaning any other NEC routes they could potentially do would have a lot of repeated stock

MBTA wise I think can be more lenient in this regard

• Like Like x 1
  14. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

Isn't the section from Boston to Providence the highest speed section of rail in the U.S. at 150mph? And the Acela is the only train set allowed to run at that speed. So, yeah, I'm fairly sure we'll see the Acela added--if they're going to add it to any section of the NEC, this would be the one to add it to.

My concern is that a cab car, two different coaches (business and first class), and a cafe car is likely to be too much work for a loco DLC.

• Like Like x 1
  15. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I'd love to see some freight as well as Acela rather than Acela and another MBTA loco/carriage rake. I'd imagine it would also be less work tweaking a CSX Loco to include in cab signalling then creating a whole new loco and carriages so perhaps a more realistic expectation?

• Like Like x 1
  16. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

If you mean cab car as in the one on the back of an ACS-64 they will not be included in any loco add-on for this route as they are not operated north of New York

• Like Like x 1
  17. t.goaslind

t.goaslind Member

Well, you guys have seen the static displays of freight cars and locos up and down the route right? Could we be driving freight trains up and down the route at some point in the future?

18. potatoefan#2838

If Matt said that Acela is inevitable then perhaps it could already be in the works. As for the freight I would love to see freight. Not sure what they run there, I'm guessing something CSX standard cab.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

A nice loco pack including all three, similar to Heavy Freight would be nice.

20. ixofxiii

ixofxiii Well-Known Member

Matt stated in a stream that the freight engines don't have cab signalling. That's why.

21. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

AIUI, the service layer for the Acela already exists in the route, which makes that DLC pretty inevitable.

Also, as I've mentioned before, making the Acela means DTG mastering tilting trains, which opens up the possibility of the ICE-T on German routes and the Pendolino in the UK.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

That does look like a cool loco. :P

• Like Like x 1
  23. aarontheloner

Also not a loco add on per say, but adding some freight services seems pretty inevitable given they already have CSX locomotives and rolling stock in sidings.

24. choochoo#4672

choochoo#4672 New Member

I think this would be a great idea as we can go full speeds on the line with the acela and have the bi-level cars with the HSP-64. Great suggestion!

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  25. stormbringer642

stormbringer642 New Member

For a really great throw back ( on any of the routes ) would be to see some old Steam. Such as, The Big Boy 4 8 8 4, Challenger 4 6 6 4, and any of the Old steam engines from that era. I'm from Canada, so i would love to see some of those type of engines as well.

26. aarontheloner

UP was the only line to ever run the Big Boy. Well other lines did buy Challengers it was the Denver and Rio Grande, and the Clinchfield (which would be a nice route for steam admittedly)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
  27. moofeen#2182

moofeen#2182 Active Member

Wes gonna have to wait for the roadmap to see if Acela Express is coming

• Like Like x 1
  28. potatoefan#2838

Solicitr, dude that is a good point. I would also hope to see the 411 in Dresden to Reisa. If I am not mistaken they usually use those irl there, but they are using the 406 instead in game.

• Like Like x 1
  29. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

For CSX freight, I'd suggest a rebuilt CSX SD40-3 and/or GP38-3.

30. aarontheloner

I think the CSX locomotives that are in sidings as set dressing are all GP-38s. All in YN3.

31. MetroMad1229

MetroMad1229 Well-Known Member

I was totally thinking the same thing! I want the MP36PH-3C in MBTA livery as well. Dovetail would have to do the new Acela Express because, well it's hard to explain but they can only make one of the Acela's, they have to make the entire fleet of the newest.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  32. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

MBTA only owns 2 MP36’s. I have a friend that lives along this specific portion of the NEC and he’s never seen an MP36 go fully down the providence line. Only as far as forest hills to serve the Needham line. All providence trains are F40’s and HSP’s

33. Louis-MTA NYCTA

Louis-MTA NYCTA Well-Known Member

I agree, I think adding this beloved train would be a very nice way of paying tribute to their 20 years of service.
    The original Acela trainsets are an American icon, dedicated to speed and being it is America's ONLY high-speed train, I think it's only fair to bring this iconic train in the highly detailed TSW 2. But I would make sure this train if it ever gets released, to make sure it is done it's justice and made correctly. Being very detailed, sounding authentic, with HVAC sounds!.

The original Acela 1 train sets are at the end of their useful service lives. Let's make this train come to TSW 2 as a nice tribute and farewell to these truly revolutionary train sets. The retirement of the original Acela 1 sets are set to begin late next year (2022) and introduction of the Acela 2 sets or the new Avelia Liberties same time.

• Like Like x 2
  34. driverwoods#1787

You are absolutely correct for the best Value combine Avelia Liberty with HSP-46 as into the future pack for NEC Boston Providence there was an earlier post that mentioned this

35. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

I'd like to see the HSP-46 come to TSW. Don't really care if the Acela comes or not, as I can hardly run the ACS-64 at line speed without getting a blue screen..

36. MetroMad1229

MetroMad1229 Well-Known Member

Yo I think their gonna do it because this has got a lot of views!!!

37. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

The number of views a thread has on the forum has minimal correlation to what DTG produce. I think the Acela will almost certainly be added as DLC at some point, but hopefully they'll fix the signalling and safety system issues first.

38. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I hope thay add the Hsp46 MBta locomotive sometime in the future maybe it’ll be on the roadmap sometime in the future.