PC Hamburg - Lübeck: Service Preparation Times

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Task, May 18, 2021.

1. Task

Task Well-Known Member

The service on Hamburg - Lübeck all only have a preparation time of around 40 seconds when you spawn from the menu. In my opinion this is a little to short, especially for a setup heavy loco as the 112 and when you have to go back to the cab car to enable the back lights. Or the other way around when driving the cab car. The latter would ideally be fixed separately though.

The services sit there long enough before so increasing the start times shouldn't be that hard I guess.

• Like Like x 3
  2. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I agree with the complaints. Too little time.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

My apologies for this! I was very new to timetable mode and was trying to get around another issue, which resulted in the short setup times. Something I didn't realise during development. I think the flaw was me being too focused on how the AI would look when handling these tasks and not the player experience.

I will certainly take on this feedback for future timetables I do. For the next project, I've got most setup times as 2 minutes, some are 1 minute and a particalur few at 3 minutes. This still may not be enough but I'll be watching feedback about this in the future. :)

Regarding Hamburg-Lübeck, there are a couple of options.
    1) Do nothing: changing the start times sounds easy enough but can have a knock on. Let's say we give it a 5 minute setup time. For that length of time, the junction out of Hamburg will be reserved for that train, potentially blocking arriving trains until the starting train has left. This is much easier to avoid when the timetable has been designed from scratch to do this. And just to clarify, this was not the reason I made the start times short.

2) Extend the wait times: You're right that it might be an easy job and I'd love to get this error fixed. There is one slight issue, changing the start times might reset player progress. Something not everyone will be happy with. I'll need to speak to someone at DTG and listen to their views on this as it might be a big no with a good reason that I haven't considered. If I can do this option, how long would you say is enough? 2 minutes? 3 minutes?

tl;dr sorry, I'm new and still learning. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Joethefish
    Thank you for this extensive answer and it's very nice to hear you will take this into consideration for the future.

In my opinion it shouldn't be more than 2 minutes under any circumstance. I don't want to wait 3 minutes or something like that on every service. But we have differentiate between two things here. Setup times for services you take over somewhere (coming from a portal) and setup times for services that start at the destination you take them over.

1. Portal Services: Don't make the times too long there. On routes like HRR they are way too long in my opinion, the trains sit at station where they only stop for a minute or something like that in reality for way too long.
    2. Starting Services: Here something like 1.5 or 2 minutes would be ideal I guess. But that's just my opinion.

I would say when you would loose the progress: Better don't do it or find a different solution.

5. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Joethefish
    And for the case you can tweak a few thinks on the HBK timetable. The PIS of the ICs is completely wrong. Here are some examples:
    20210828223658_1.jpg

20210828232208_1.jpg

The other direction has similar problems.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  6. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Those three minute waits are not just for opening the doors. On these particular setups, there are extra steps required and I'm not sure 3 minutes will be enough. But I need to balance it as the AI does things faster and will end up holding a junction and causing chaos. There won't be 3 minute setups with nothing to do, don't worry.

Yeah that would be based on judgement of when a service should leave a portal. Something I'm lucky I didn't have to work with much on HBK. But I did learn a cool and quick way to work out the best time to make them leave the portals. So that's all good!

Thanks! These are fixed now and awaiting an update which I need to get finished. Few tweaks here and there plus testing but I have no control over when that gets done. The PIS was a new feature back then and now I've learned how it works, it's a really cool feature. But yes it now says where it's from and where it's going to. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

I believe the timetable of all S3 services was changed slightly in HRR with the update for BR 101. You used to have only 30s but now you have 1min 30s. So maybe it was not an easy job but was done in order to accommodate the new IC services?

8. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

I don't know why that might be, I wasn't working on that timetable. So far, Hamburg is my first and only timetable.

But I am working on one of the rush hour timetables...

9. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

It’s the Brighton Mainline one isn’t it ;). I’m really looking forward to the timetable on there, especially coupling and uncoupling.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HaibaraHariko

HaibaraHariko Active Member

All right. I was just wondering why it was possible for HRR but may be difficult for other routes. Thank you for the work and looking forward to future routes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  11. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Think its the Riesa timetable not sure tho

12. Joethefish

Joethefish Staff Member

Indeed! Hopefully it's well recieved! :)
    I wanted to do that timetable but I felt I had to do London to Brighton, given it's my local railway. :)

• Like Like x 1