Main Spessart Bahn - Tree Color Change In Winter Transition

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by mariussoare_84, Aug 29, 2021.

1. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

I have started replaying the MSB today by redoing the Journey mode from the beginning.
    The run is called Heigenbruken - Gemunden Limited stops, the third scenario in chapter 1.

This one starts in proper winter scenery and as you go down the scenery transitions towards all green foliage slowly losing the snow. During the transition, the trees render complete white at medium to high distance and once they get close enough to get picked up and rendered in higher quality, they switch color abruptly from white or grey to dark green. The trees ahead of me should be green in color as the ones near the locomotive are and once I got to the spot marked in the screenshot they too became green (magic?).
    White-green trees.jpg

I am not using any mod or engine file tweak, this is vanilla game rendering.

This is towards the end of the transition but a minute before this the difference is even more visible as the trees close are dark green and the ones far are bright white!?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Actually, I have seen this in my play of CRR in summer. Until the trees get within about 200 m of you they are white blobs, then start to fill in their colour and texture. I have installed the engine.ini mods noted in another post and it corrects this problem. Since I did not see this prior to the update, could be related.

• Like Like x 1
  3. mariussoare_84

Until today, I've only played WSR since the update. There is no winter there and during the summer all was normal.
    On MSB in summer this behavior was not present for me, only in the winter as you transition from the zone with snow towards the one that is still green at the lower altitude.

I wonder if the settings you're using are pushing this "color shift" further away and out of sight or they actually correct the behavior.

4. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Really do not know which it is, but once I placed them in the engine.ini file the game looks a lot better.

5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Yes, this is a problem with all routes which have been given the brown-trunk-winter-3d-trees upgrade (meaning Clinchfield and later). The all-white 2d trees really leap out, and then they magically color-morph on approach.

6. mariussoare_84

Based on the information that was shared and on what I've seen in this particular run:

1. In an all-winter environment the issue is not present.
    2. It happens in the snow to green grass and foliage transition

What I don't know yet is if this is one of those scenario-specific dynamic weather thing or it is a type of weather configurable manually by the player before starting a run.
    It´s a pity to see this since the route has received improvements both through the core update as well as by the preservation team...

I know the update brought other severe issues which they are trying to address. Hopefully, this will be improved, particularly considering that it affects multiple routes.

7. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

V. interested in a fix for this too, makes Clinchfield quite annoying...

8. bescot

bescot Well-Known Member

Which ever date/time/temperature DTG chose as a preset for this journey its making the snow melt over the duration of the journey. Just run the same train in timetable mode and change the weather to suit yourself. I also get the same effect, and what is worse is theres no snow on the track spline ballast, as it 'melts' before the snow on the ground does.

I suppose you could try a few engine.ini mods

[SystemSettings]
    foliage.LODDistanceScale=5
    foliage.DitheredLOD=5

The first, 5 might be too high depending on your hardware, but it renders the higher LOD trees further away try 3-5

The second blends the exchange of low res LOD to high res LOD trees so it's less apparent.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  9. mariussoare_84

Thank you bescot
    I'm going to be honest with you, I don't really want to be the beta tester for the developers.
    Only once in my life, I purchased an early access game and it ended up a total failure despite having Obsidian entertainment and My.com as developer and publisher behind it. Never again will I get another one. Either they learn to deliver finished products or they are not getting anything from me.

TSW is not in early access but it certainly behaves like it is. They decided to create an additional team (preservation crew) for giving a more appropriate look and feel to routes compared to the state in which they are initially released.

It's actually embarrassing. The number of past issues that were not addressed combined with the newly introduced ones will lead to a collapse...

Besides this, I did had my own list of tweaks that I ran before the 4.26 update. I've read here and there that some of the settings we used to tweak are not needed anymore and even that some produce worse results than before. I might be wrong and all settings could be valid, but this is the impression I ended up with.

On this topic, I think our guru fellow forum members that have previously posted detailed info about tweaks need to look into it and see what is still on the table to be used.